morgansmith

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by morgansmith

1. Blondie, we can be cheerleaders for Buttercup builders (and BH...and Spring Fling and...)
  2. For anyone who hasn't noticed how easy it is to make your Buttercup front door, a dutch door Again, thanks for the idea Kat!
  3. What she said (Gail) I'm also sorry about the constant moving Hopefully next time you will get to settle in. As for severing ties with families...I have the world's greatest family. My husband does not. I live both sides of that coin. Do not ever, and I mean ever, feel guilty if you quit calling someone family that you would not call friend.
  4. The deed is done My little Buttercup now has four door pieces, instead of 2. When the glue dries I will take pictures Yea! I can post photos!
  5. :) No doubt the rope bed will fit some way or another. You're so funny Blondie. I can just see it now. With all of the beds I already have and those on my wish list (CC rope bed & the CC cottage bed) I will soon be buying dh kits for my beds and not beds for my dollhouses My to buy list is 7 items, 3 rugs, 2 fancy shelves, the bed and a particular painting, plus lighting. I still need to make the furniture kits and window seat cushion and once it gets ordered and arrives, a bed. Then, when I plan out the lighting and order that, I can finish the interior trim. Of course, I need to make the fireplace and do the exterior, but that doesn't count. Shortest to do list ever Now, the question is, can I finish before the Fling???
  6. Holly, thank you. Do you 'have a thing' for vintage rv's too? I love that camper and always have. I like to imagine the stories of people who first built traveling homes. The tin can tourist era is fascinating to me. When I was a kid in the 60's, our friends had a camper that sat in their back yard. We got to play in it. I never saw another rv until I was maybe 10 or 11. They fascinated me. I played Barbie's almost every day for years. What I did was make them rv's. My Dad gave me a huge selection of boxes in graduated sizes (parts boxes for his motorcycle shop) and I used them like lego's and made a different rv anytime the mood struck. No doubt this encouraged my miniatures building. Thanks for the share holly.
  7. Deborah, you had a playhouse too Weren't we lucky? I loved mine. My little Buttercup is moving along. I am having so much fun with this house and have the next one already planned out. It will be much different. Also, your Gypsy wagon is awesome! I love Gypsy wagons and plan one in miniature someday. I remember our first visit to Oregon, in the late 60's. The people we stayed with took us to see the big local attraction. The gypsies We would drive around and every so often there would be a field full of Gypsies picking berries. Each time we would see any, our hosts would explain how different they were. I was fascinated. I have since had several friends over the years who are Gypsy.
  8. Blondie, does the rope bed work in this position? I really want that bed but am unsure of how it will fit.
  9. Several things made me smile tonight and every time I thought, 'I'll have to remember to tell the forum' Thank you all for the many reminders to smile 1) OK, this made me smile but...perhaps my sense of humor is a bit twisted...hmm...probably not Early yesterday morning, a serious crime occured across the street from the house of a dear friend of mine. He is understandably shook up but stating he isn't moving, just arming himself. I sent him photos of me using my Easy Cutter tonight and my clamps. I had to laugh. No wonder working on mini's relieves stress We work with dangerous tools! 2) I figured out how to listen to music AND be on the forum, both on my phone, at the same time 3) After I started checking out new posts this time around and writing something, I heard two different all time classic songs I LOVE LOVE LOVE and have real life connections to that are important memories for me. I got to thinking how important music is in my life and how much I love listening to music when I work on my mini's And...now that I think about it, one of those connections is a story with a very important lesson. Another dear friend of mine is a musician. Fairly successful. One day, this song came on the radio and as ANYONE 60ish? and younger would do, I smiled and began to move. He smiled and commented 'I wrote that song'. He was serious. The big band had actually pirated my friends original song when his band performed at a small venue in Hollywood. I asked why he didn't sound angry. 'Are you kidding?' He stated calmly, 'We will NEVER be (that band) and every time I hear this song on the radio I know it's mine'. Anyway, that happened decades ago...hmmm, yea...like over 3 decades, wow...but anyway, I eventually got to see the big band perform the song live and it was pretty amazing. Big reminder of feeling good about who we are and not someone we might see as more.
  10. I wish I knew how to add little guys doing a happy dance Kat...you know those obvious things, like right in front of your face and you're blind as a bat and can't see it things? A dutch door is going to work perfect! I can snip in two places on each piece, and snip two pieces of trim the right size, all with my Easy Cutter I am really excited to add this feature as the cottage is all about things that mean something to me. Kat, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Tomorrow I plan to post some more photos. Let's cross fingers
  11. Thank you, ladies I am loving this little house. And Kat, GREAT idea about making it a dutch door. I love dutch doors. My Mom must as well because the house I grew up in, which my parents designed, had a dutch front door, my room door and the door in our playhouse in the back yard too. Three dutch doors. Hmmmm...
  12. IF, and I mean IF I did this right, I may just have attached a file! No way! This shows the wallpaper and shabby look my Buttercup has. The trim is still missing so it will look a lot better. First, I have to send for the LED lighting because I will have wires to hide.
  13. If I want my front door to open inwards, I have to sand a bunch off the bottom, to accommodate the floor. I don't want to do this because the design of the door will get messed up. Since the door will probably always be closed anyway, is it too weird to make it open out? I can't stand gluing in doors. My poor residents would be trapped Making good progress. The thought of this cottage being done before the Fling is nice
  14. Oh,Kathie...you have one of 'those' too. That sounds like my husband. I was once an expert on contracts. My husband heard about a 'great mortgage' deal on the radio, just after we got married and my name wasn't officially on the house. He and another man at work went into the place, without telling me. My husband couldn't finalize the deal without papers he had at home and when he came to get them, he bragged about the deal he had made without me. I took a quick look at the paperwork and showed him the truth. He had almost destroyed us. The guy he worked with? His situation couldn't get worse. Kathie, I truly feel for you and what you went through today. Sandy, it's sure nice to see you
  15. My Buttercup is flying together today. I am thinking by the end of the night the interior, except for some trim work, will be done. Apparently, this sweet and peaceful looking cottage is also quite bossy. She is now telling me what the NEXT Buttercup cottage should look like. She MAY agree to be a mouse house if I do what she asks. The next cottage, she says, is to be nothing like her. It is to be whimsical and bright.
  16. Crazy! I don't even like putting bathrooms in my builds. But...for a toilet that works I could get very inspired. I really want a house that everything works in. Keep us posted
  17. The half scale one is also TOO fun to build. I have been making mine a mouse house. Unfortunately, these normally cooperative mice have decided this cottage is simply not their style. They have asked for a different Buttercup entirely. I have built countless 1" scale Buttercups in my day. This half scale Buttercup is the first dh I have ever built that I am ready to build a second one before it's done. After staring at this cottage for enough hours I could have finished it by now, I finally glued in the last of the wallpaper. Yea!
  18. Can you prop a stick in the floor below to raise the floor to meet with the step straight? If you could do this and it worked, then you could glue between the step and floor, prop it with the stick below and let it dry. IF I am picturing your problem correctly. If all else fails, a cat cuddled in front of the 'bad' spot to hide it perhaps?
  19. I just saw a kit for sale that has a deed and thought about that. All dollhouses do not come with deeds but they should. Creating one for each build would be fun. I journal my builds and take tons of photos. How exciting to have the one you do,Maureen. That makes me really happy for you.
  20. I love recycled art and didn't know about the fair at Esther Short Park. Thanks for the info Jackie. We go to the Sandy Mountain Festival the second weekend of July every year and have for 40 years. Lots of smiles there. But here was my silly smile of the weekend. My husband and I are planning a new rv rehab. (We have had 3 rv's in 9 years of marriage) This time, we plan to redo an old tiny rv. We will gut it (so will only purchase one that requires such extreme reno) and then cram every feature we need inside. While discussing this, I ran across a vintage rv kit on ebay. Nothing I would buy, but...my husband is now EAGERLY designing an rv with me so we can build it soon. A 1:12 rv! Instead of building a mini that looks like a real life item, we plan to build a mini so we can practice for the real thing being built. It made me smile when I realized what we were doing.
  21. We have over half of May left and spring doesn't end until near the end of June. It's coming, just not today. I have at least 7 strong ideas of what I would like to do. One will come to life, I am determined!
  22. Wow! Why haven't I seen Deborah's Vardo? Gypsy wagons have always fascinated me and hers is DA BOMB! Ok, back to Buttercup's. I have my eye on a 1" scale Ashley on craigslist. New kit. $10. Hmmm...I am loving the little Buttercup so much, maybe I would like to build another Ashley. (I made several, years ago). I love the smaller 1" scale houses. I mean, there can only be one Beacon Hill, right? And I have a few other big houses. I want small houses! Ok. I want it all. Better start with a bigger RL house Did I say back to the Buttercup? That is the question. Do I work on my half scale Buttercup today or go get an Ashley kit? Very similar to a Buttercup if anyone doesn't know.
  23. Have you been chatting with my DH? He told me Friday night that it should be announced on Mother's Day. Unfortunately, I don't think Greenleaf is open tomorrow.