Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. It would make a great old, abandoned house. It certainly reminds me of a few real ones that I've been in. But, I can certainly understand the desire to rehab.
  2. Khadi

First Floor

I like all of the white. The room is really bright and cheerful already.
  3. This isn't a wholesale source, but I've found several dogs at those antique malls where they sell everything under the sun. I can usually get them for a $2-3 each.
  4. Thank you both for the advice. I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
  5. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting the Lily side roof pieces to bend. I'm trying the damp paper towel technique in the directions but so far I have achieved very limited flexibility and almost no bend in the pieces. Thanks.
  6. This looks very handy and not very expensive. Thanks for sharing.
  7. I've used a hot knife to cut foam core. I use a metal ruler to help me get a nice straight, clean cut. It will make the foam a little brown though it you hold it in one place too long. Assuming you're covering the foam, the brown is easily covered.
  8. I will be keeping your daughter-in-law and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  9. You could try a hair dryer. The heat loosens up most glue. Start at the edge and as it softens, pull up a little bit at a time or use a putty knife and try to slide it under the carpet as the heat softens the glue.
  10. I just discovered on Amazon that they are selling Buttercups for next to nothing. I thought that I would pass it along. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033JB3UG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  11. Your organization system from your last cleanup attempt has become completely disorganized.
  12. I posted a link in your other thread that you might find interesting. It is too a blog of a gentleman who has built an amazing house from scratch.
  13. I've been following this gentleman's blog for years. He built from scratch rather than room boxes, but his work is amazing. He also shows how he creates each room. http://englishmanordollhouse.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-07-03T07:58:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=13&by-date=false
  14. I would apply a very thin coat if you use drywall compound. I tried drywall joint compound on builder's foam, and the compound cracked when it dried. I'm think that the moisture in the compound caused the foam to expand when it was wet and then contract as it dried leading to the crack. My favorite for stucco and grout is paint mixed with craft sand. It is a lot less messy. I learned that from someone on this site, although I must apologize because I forget who originally suggested it so I can't give them credit.
  15. I actually faced a similar dilemma in my real house. When the previous owners removed the carpeting from the upstairs, they left a huge drop off between the bathroom and the hallway. I used the quarter round shoe molding to make the step down less obvious. I wonder if something similar could be done in a dollhouse.
  16. I've used battery-powered chandeliers. I used small velcro circles to attach them so that I can easily access them to change the batteries.
  17. I would turn my entire basement into a dollhouse world showcased with sets of themed houses together from different eras. Of course, not only is money and size an issue, but my cats would not be happy if they lost their family room/playroom.
  18. I have used this kitchen set in smaller kitchens (minus the table). It's not as nice as some of the bigger sets, but it is smaller and the separate pieces make it easier to arrange. I also added a cupboard or small set of shelves. It reminds me of the kitchen in my mother's house which has almost no counter space so she does all of her baking/prep on the dining room table. https://www.miniatures.com/6-Pc-Traditional-Kitchen-Set-P18095.aspx
  19. I'm sorry. I can certainly empathize. I have a cat whose purpose in life seems to be to destroy things, including, my dollhouses (with help from his brother). Laughing is the only way to deal with it because it's better than crying. Good luck with your repairs. I agree with Holly that if you can anyway cut a replacement, it's probably best.
  20. Khadi

plafond.jpg

I love the woodwork on your ceiling and stairs.
  21. I love watching the progress of your house. I am definitely living vicariously through you. It is amazing!
  22. I love the idea of the cellar doors. What a great, simple way to add character to the outside of a house.
  23. I've used velcro for battery-powered chandeliers. I did have some trouble with the velcro's sticky back not sticking after awhile, but that may have been the product of cheap velcro and a kitten sneaking into the house and batting at them.
  24. Welcome! The Arthur is the first dollhouse Santa gave me to build when I was child. It was the beginning of my love of building dollhouses.
  25. I'm not sure if this link would be of interest to you. It is to the Nationality Rooms at the University of Pittsburgh (my alma mater). There are a wide variety of cultures, styles, and time periods represented. I have used them for inspiration. http://www.nationalityrooms.pitt.edu/