Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. You can measure and cut wallpaper, etc. before you glue the house (but wait to install until glued) because measuring can be tricky once the house is together. It also makes it easier to cut out windows. Leave the paper a little longer on the side walls where you are going to attach them to the back wall. That way you won't have seams visible in the corners. If you do wait to measure and cut wallpaper until after you have glued, cut a template first with scratch paper so that if you make any mistakes measuring or cutting, you have not wasted a piece of wallpaper.
  2. Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. I love the old British castles.
  3. I'm horrible at understanding directions so I treat each dollhouse as a puzzle. I do lots of dry-fitting and taping to make sure the pieces are correctly placed before I glue. I will say that I have built/bashed two Orchids, and I do find it to be more challenging than it appears. As Emily mentioned, make sure you know what you're doing with the windows before you install them. I had already stuccoed the outside with a paint-sand mix and had wallpapered the inside when I started the windows. It was not fun sanding/removing & painting over wallpaper to make the windows look correct when I installed them.
  4. This sounds like a cool idea. I can't wait to see it. I love that it won't be just a typical country church dollhouse, but that you are having Sunday School rooms and a kitchen like a real church.
  5. I don't think the one I listed comes with one, but you can buy one separately. I think that I had one from other cutting wheels that I had purchased. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMK8FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  6. It's not as clean a cut as a regular saw, but for basic cuts it's great. I find it especially helpful for cutting new doors, windows, etc. It's so much easier than trying to do it with a handsaw. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMK8FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  7. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will contact them after I give the credit card company some time to do their investigation.
  8. Thanks for the information. I used PayPal years ago before using credit cards online became so common, but I had no idea it was safer. I guess I'll have to start using it again.
  9. I'm sorry you had the same problem. I'm going to have to start doing the same thing once again as soon as I get my new card. Perhaps hackers are going after small businesses now instead of just the big ones.
  10. That's a big problem in Virgina too, but no I haven't. I only use this card for online purchases.
  11. Khadi

Attic

I like the newspapers around the window in the back. It's a nice "attic" touch. I'm not sure why this showed up twice.
  12. Khadi

Attic

I like the newspapers around the window in the back. It's a nice "attic" touch.
  13. I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased online from Dollhouse Heaven and then had your credit card fraudulently used. Twice within a week after purchasing from them, this has happened to me. I want to make it clear that I am not accusing them of anything. I have always gotten good service from them. I'm just trying to track down why this has happened to two different credit card numbers (same account) in a short amount of time and how it is happening. Thanks.
  14. I have used this floor and I don't remove the backing. I really like the flooring, but cut it carefully as it chips easily. When I have chipped it, I used a medium furniture pen to cover the chips, and it hides them well. The furniture marker can also hide any seams that might show bare wood. Kathie's idea of not gluing works well with this flooring because it is heavy enough that it lays flat without being glued.
  15. I used a medium crackle with acrylic over top to get a peeling paint look rather than a true crackled look. It worked pretty well once I followed the directions carefully. I haven't seen a small crackle but perhaps there is one.
  16. Hi, I assume you're asking regarding crackle paint. I've used it before. I don't recall if it is thick but follow the directions exactly as they are on the container and it should turn out. The only time it didn't for me is when I didn't follow the process exactly.
  17. Paint the ceilings before you put it together. It's hard to go back and paint them later. (Speaking as the person who always forgets to paint her ceilings.)
  18. I feel your pain. I have a one-cat wrecking ball. I've given up kitten-proofing for him because no matter what I do he finds something else to get into or break. He's strong too so closed doors, cabinets, fireplace screens, etc. are no obstacle for him. His first time in a dollhouse as a kitten, he tried to climb through a tower window on my Garfield (fortunately only taped for dry-fitting), got stuck and dragged the whole tower with him around the room until I caught him. It deterred him for awhile but not long enough. He's done more destruction than my other two cats combined. :P
  19. This is the story of my life. Of course, I usually think more of the Jaws theme music when my cats get in the houses.
  20. I love the ribbon idea! It looks great!
  21. Thank you for this information. I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I'm sure that I would have done the same thing. I love Greenleaf houses, but the directions and schematics often test my reading comprehension skills.
  22. I would recommend decorating and wiring as you go before you glue things permanently. There are a lot of places that can be difficult to get to in the Garfield. I would also recommend leaving the balcony doors removable in the stair area because this area is particularly tricky to access once the house is complete.
  23. I have built two Garfields. The second one is at the decorating stage so I'll be happy to help if you have any questions (if I can).
  24. I love your ceiling and wall paneling.
  25. I've ordered online from them before. They have some unique, hard-to-find items.