Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. Khadi

Alcove 062023.jpg

It looks so grand! Great job!
  2. I've cut up vinyl tile samples from Home Depot and then used a fine grout. It works for larger tiles. I've used it to get a stone floor look. It might be a bit more difficult to cut for smaller tiles.
  3. I think these are the measurement lines for where you glue the inner pieces to the roof sides. If you place these inner pieces in the wrong locations, the roof pieces will not go together correctly and you will have gaps or overlap.
  4. Have you tried out Ebay? That's probably your best chance.
  5. Of course, there had to be a visit on the balcony.
  6. In the spirit of the day, I couldn't help but have my own king and queen celebrate.
  7. Khadi

English Manor House

This is only the beginning of what I hope to be a giant manor house and outbuildings. I looked mostly to the Tudor era but took some creative ideas from other eras. For some reason, not all of my captions and title saved so I added them in the comments.
  8. I don't know about production. I would check out Ebay. You can find a lot of dollhouse kits there. I don't know if I have see the laser cut Beaumont on Ebay, but I have see the die-cut version of it.
  9. I was searching for something else on Etsy and came across this shop. I've never bought anything from them, but I've been tempted. Old English Miniatures https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldEnglishMiniatures?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=1405672080
  10. Welcome! The Rutherford was the second dollhouse I built as a kid. It's a great house with spacious rooms. I can't wait to renovate mine someday, but unfortunately it's still sitting in my childhood bedroom waiting for a ride to my house. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out for some ideas.
  11. I've searched too. I would check out Etsy. There are a lot of shops from the UK. They have a much bigger variety of options for different time periods. Most of the shipping is fairly reasonable too.
  12. I wonder if you could turn the Creekside Cabin into a Farm house by cutting off the corner pieces that overlap and putting siding over the "logs". I don't know if the walls are 1/4 thick, but they are thicker than the walls on the other houses.
  13. Don't get discouraged. A lot of the people on this site have built multiple houses which is why their houses look as nice as they do. Speaking for myself, my first few houses looked nothing like my later houses as far as quality of construction and decorating. Also, mistakes happen. Take a step back and look at your schematics. Then do your best to label the parts lightly in pencil. Group pieces that are similar or go together in bags or boxes to organize them. Put pieces together to make sure you have them correctly and they fit before gluing. I would save trim for the end so that you can paint and wallpaper first. If you have already glued, it will probably be best to paint, but it can still look nice. If you do need to take pieces apart, use a hairdryer to heat the glue, and you can often carefully pull the pieces apart once the glue softens. Encourage your mother to have patience, dollhouses can take months, even years to build. It's also okay to put it aside and take a break from time to time. But, don't give up!
  14. I haven't built the Willow, but it doesn't look too complicated. The only challenge I see is the double-hung windows. I've messed these up and had to redo them every time I've made them. Make sure you paint the frames on both sides before gluing in the "glass". Then match up the pieces so that the most similar size pieces are together. While they are technically all the same size, there is often some minor discrepancy in them. Also make sure that you dry fit them before gluing them into place so that you you have them correct. The other suggestion I have is to make sure you wallpaper before you put in the stairs. It will be much easier than trying to measure around the stairs. For your future endeavors, I recommend the Beacon Hill over the Lily. It may be bigger, but it is easier and will give you a lot more space to work with. The mansard roof is also much easier to bend and install on the Beacon Hill.
  15. Have you checked out Etsy? People sell digital download templates for a variety of projects.
  16. I must admit that I soaked those roof pieces for days (and tried every other strategy I could find) without luck. I finally sold my Lily as a rehab project. I wish Greenleaf would switch to the thinner, flexible pieces like they have for the Beacon Hill.
  17. I used the square windows found at miniatures.com for the top floor of the attic. I then used some extra acrylic inserts that I had that already had the white lines painted on similar to the ones on the Classic Value Windows. I replaced all of my windows on my Garfields with the Classic Value windows. I used foam board to fill in the curved section at the top of the windows. I replaced the French doors with Housewares French doors. I then used the plastic French Door inserts that came with the kit to make windows for the first floor section of the tower. I used wood strips to make the frames similar to what Holly suggested. On the second floor, I used the Classic Value windows in the tower area. I had to cut the window holes slightly larger and then fill in the extra space with foam board. I am currently debating taking out the windows on my second Garfield to make it an open air room/balcony.
  18. That door is so small that I think it would be hard to replace. I made it a non-opening door in my first Garfield. On my second Garfield, I just spackled over the edge of door and made it a solid wall. It's not very visible and not easily accessible once the house is complete.
  19. I vote for chateau. Have you watched Escape to the Chateau or Chateau DIY on Peacock? I think they may also be on HGTV. Both shows are about people renovating old French chateaus. They are great for inspiration.
  20. They do mysteriously multiply. I swear every time I go into my basement, another kit or dollhouse appears.
  21. Thank you for the suggestions. I love the brick fireplace.