Khadi

Gold Member
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by Khadi

1. third attept at scrolled railing with 3D pen.jpg

I am amazed by your stair railings.  Do you use a template with your 3D pen or are you doing them freehand?
  2. Ageing wood

I have had some luck with some of the gray stains.  I would recommend testing them first as some look really good and others not so much.
  3. Anyone recognize this?

It is gorgeous!  
  4. Dollhouse Disaster

Thanks everyone for your "sympathy".  Ironically, hot glue probably saved the day in this case.  I had forgotten that I had glued the roof on with hot glue when I was moving to protect it- the goal being that I would later remove the hot glue and replace it with better glue.  The roof broke apart on the hot glue seams probably preventing it from breaking elsewhere.
  5. Dollhouse Disaster

One of my favorite dollhouses fell victim to the cold last night.  I woke up at 3:45 this morning to a loud crash in my basement.  The top shelf of my bookcase had collapsed sending all of my heavy photo albums down onto my Tudor kitchen knocking it to the floor and breaking it to pieces.  I think the shelf had contracted due the cold in my basement causing it to fall off the pins.  Fortunately, the house can be repaired after I remove the old glue, but it was quite a mess to clean up and not what I wanted to be doing in the wee hours of the morning.  This picture is after the big cleanup.  Kitty Number Two was inspecting the damage.  I think the kitties were surprised to see such a disaster that was not of their making.
  6. Prihting

I know how you feel.  I used to have a personalized card-making operation and make dozens of cards a week until the software stopped working.  Now, I haven't made one in years. As for dollhouse prints, I do a lot of resizing and cropping in Powerpoint.  The ruler and grid features make it easy to create one inch scale images.  Then I save it as a jpeg and open it in Paintshop Pro to do editing and to make larger size images by copying and pasting the original image on a larger "canvas" to make floors and ceilings.  I use Paintshop Pro mostly for photo editing in my other hobby of photography, but it works well for dollhouse prints too.  I find it much more user-friendly than Photoshop, and if you buy the previous-year's version it is usually very affordable.
  7. Cabinet Hardware added.JPG

It looks great.  That askew thing is probably why my top cabinets are still sitting in the basement of my Emerson Row dollhouse.
  8. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Thank you.
  9. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I saw this house on Ebay.  It looks like an inverted Pierce or perhaps Garfield, but yet it is different from both and there are no dimensions listed so hard to know the size.  The post says it's a 1970s dollhouse.  I'm not planning on buying it, but I am curious if anyone knows if this is an early version of either of the houses or just a creative bash.  Thanks https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Vintage-Doll-House-Assembled-Includes-some-furniture-and-other-items/322823073408?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55674%26meid%3D7ece859ee3c14ada95d133a258730e07%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D202505870481%26itm%3D322823073408&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982  
  10. More eye candy

She does a great job of detailing how she does each step.  She's been added to my bookmarks.
  11. Shingle painting tips

I used dark gray stain to make a "slate look" on a house.  It's much easier to stain than paint shingles, especially, if the house is already shingled because you can get stain into all of the little spaces.  I just wouldn't put on a lot so that it doesn't soak all the through to the wood of the roof.  There are a variety of shades of gray and black stains.
  12. Corona magnolia instructions

In spite of having built several Greenleafs, I still have a horrible time understanding their directions.  I use the directions and the schematics to find the pieces needed for each section I'm working on and then treat it like a puzzle- never gluing until I'm sure that I got it right.
  13. A ruler that has inches on one side and millimeters/centimeters on the other can be really useful to get a visual comparison of the different measurements.  These are fairly standard in the US if you're having trouble finding them at home.  Being in the US, I am more comfortable using inches, but I'm familiar with both and find millimeters useful for really tiny measurements.
  14. 1/144 beacon hill

It is on the Greenleaf Company Store site on the Miniature Buildings page. https://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/miniature-buildings/  
  15. Mistakes on The Orchid #9301

This is Greenleaf's contact information.  If they can't help you in time, you could get some clear plastic sheets from Amazon or elsewhere and cut them to size to fit temporarily until you can get replacements with the design on them.   GREENLEAF DOLLHOUSES  436 LAKE ROAD  SCHENEVUS, NY 12155  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA   Phone: (800) 253-7150  Fax: (607) 638-9076  email: customerservice@greenleafdollhouses.com
  16. I use foam board to make door ways where none are present.  The best part is that you can fit it in, see how it looks, and then remove it if the doorways do not work or you don't like the look.  Of course, this works best if you are planning on wallpapering the walls so that the foam board is hidden.   I agree with people discouraging removing entire walls.  I'm not familiar with this house, but dollhouses have load-bearing walls just like regular houses.  You could weaken the house structurally if you remove interior walls.
  17. Wallpaper Problems

I also use tacky glue because I had similar problems with the paste.  There are usually bubbles initially but then they go away when it dries. The key is not to try and push down the bumps because you'll get creased.   Instead let them flatten on their own.
  18. Artsy article on famous dollhouses

Thank you for sharing.  I have seen Queen Mary's dollhouse at Windsor Castle.  It is definitely a must see.
  19. I think I shared this website before, but this dollhouse artist is so amazing that I thought I would share it again.  Not only is his work incredible, but he describes the steps for each room that he creates. http://englishmanordollhouse.blogspot.com/2018/  
  20. 9D7E7D11-41A5-4F43-B649-F5F911B5A36D.jpeg

I love the decorative trim on the stairs.  I have a similar trim on my stairs in my real house.  It was one of the little things that I fell in love with that led me to buy it.  
  21. Entry.jpeg

I wish you good luck.  May you have better success than I did.  After a lot of those magic words and multiple glue attempts, I finally got all of my spindles to stay attached.  As I stood looking at it proudly, Cat Number Two flew past me into the house and took out half of the spindles.  Needless-to-say, my dollhouse still does not have a staircase with rails and spindles.
  22. I just remember that mine childhood Arthur was on a turntable with a relatively small base.  That might be another option.
  23. Have you considered doing a half scale?  I've never done one, but a lot of people here have.
  24. Beacon Hill - Interior Doors

If you want to upgrade your doors, you can buy the premade "narrow doors".  They are closer in size than regular interior doors and require minimal cutting to fit.
  25. Estate Sale Find

Great find!  There are so many things that you can do with a Beacon Hill.