Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. The detail is amazing! I love how it is more of a horror-movie haunted house rather than the traditional "Halloween spook house".
  2. Khadi

Ms

I use latex for big areas like the ceiling and priming. I prefer semi-gloss white for the ceilings. I find the semi-gloss reflects light and brightens up the rooms because I don't electrify my houses. I use acrylic paints for everything else. I get the small bottles from the Walmart craft section (or any store with a craft section). They cost less than a dollar. There are a large variety of colors.
  3. I bashed a Beacon Hill to be the part of a castle. I don't recall the main structure being very difficult. I can't speak to the windows and trim, however, because I didn't did straighten the wall in the entry hall. This made the big room on the first floor larger. I have personally found the bigger houses like the Beacon Hill and the Garfield much easier than the smaller houses. I had the most trouble with the Orchid, which is ironically a house that many people start with.
  4. The windows and doors on the Glencroft are very complex. If you find the sheet numbers the parts came from, you can contact Greenleaf and order them.
  5. Hello, This might help you. It is a step-by-step guide. https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-harrison-dollhouse-blog.html
  6. Melody Janes has a great selection, and they are in the UK. They also offer very affordable shipping to the US. I've always bought through Etsy, but I think someone earlier listed their website.
  7. Typically the nice side of the wood goes on the outside unless you are inverting the house. It's always helpful to dry fit your house with tape before gluing to make sure that you have all of the parts in the right place and facing the right direction.
  8. The Garfield has a similar staircase wall. I painted the it white to go with the staircase but then used chair rail to to make rectangular looking panels.
  9. I can't recall the specific colors that I've used, but I've found that the Varathane oil-based stains do better for grays than the water-based stains. The darker grays also do better than the lighter grays.
  10. Khadi

1920s Townhouse

Cheltenham 1920s Townhouse- My first attempt at Art Deco.
  11. From the album: 1920s Townhouse

My first attempt at an Art Deco fireplace for my 1920s era Cheltenham Dollhouse
  12. I often find myself doing all of the trim, wallpaper, etc. in various rooms in a house instead of finishing a room completely. Consequently, I often have semi-finished rooms until I'm "finished" with a house. I was curious as to whether others finish a room completely before moving on to the next room or if they complete certain features or details for all of the rooms at the same time.
  13. Khadi

Bed and bathroom

I was wondering if that was an elevator when I saw the big picture. Very cool!
  14. I was wondering if anyone else has ever built the Cheltenham. I am currently working on it and would love to see what others have done. I searched it on Google and have found no finished, decorated images. Thanks
  15. I don't know about room boxes. Miniatures.com does a contest every year where they have a basic "house" to purchase. It's usually a one room MDF quick build. You can then turn it into whatever you want it to be. They will announce this past year's contest winners in February and then release the new model for sale. The entries are then due the following December.
  16. I recommend a Dremel for sanding edges. It will save a lot of time and splinters. A mouse sander comes in handy for flat surfaces. The trick for both is to use a gentle touch, as dollhouse wood is soft and can easily be over-sanded.
  17. I agree. I have bought a lot from Miniature Crush. Her prices are good and shipping is fast.
  18. I find a lot of good things from sellers on Etsy and Ebay. They're also good places for finding unique pieces.
  19. I'm hoping to finish off mine this weekend. I accidentally ordered the wrong-size trim in my last minute order so I'm raiding my wood scraps for pieces to work as trim. My obsession with keeping every wood scrap is finally coming in handy. I wish everyone the best of luck. I love seeing everyone's creativity.
  20. Good luck. I wish I had an answer. One of my cats has mastered going up and down the stairs in my Garfield. Plastic sheeting and plexiglass has never been a deterrent. He just finds ways to remove it. I've given up and just take anything breakable or small enough to be eaten out of my houses. I decorate them for special occasions, take a few photos, and then remove stuff. I do have a saloon where I ended up gluing everything in place because I knew that I wouldn't be using the pieces in any other house.
  21. It looks great! Those little kits and the tiny pieces you have to make are no small feat.
  22. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I checked out a few of these on Ebay and interestingly they all say 1:12 scale. Perhaps because sellers didn't know what to list it as? I guess I'll list it with the dimensions and see what happens. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!
  23. The headboard is about 2 inches high. It seems like it would be small even for a children's bed. Fancy pet bed perhaps?
  24. I recently purchased a dollhouse bed on Ebay that was listed as 1:12 scale. I missed the fine print, however. It's only 3 3/4 inches long and sits low to the ground. I'm planning on reselling it but want to list it as the proper scale. Does anyone have any ideas what scale it might be? Thanks.