Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. I got a six quart recently. It's a good size for those of us cooking for one. I've tried some of the recipes on the Instant Pot website, and they've turned out really tasty.
  2. Some thoughts- You could remove all of the old railing and replace it with different railing. You can find railing in most online dollhouse stores. You could remove the top trim altogether, or replace it with other purchased trim. You could also post a specific request on the site for what you need. There might be someone who did not use these parts and may have them available. Many of us do not use all of our pieces, such as trim, but save them for possible future uses. The trick to removing pieces is to use a hair dryer on the glue. Most glue melts fairly easily when heated. Others may be more particular, but for me I would pull off as much of the wallpaper as possible so that you have a smooth surface, and then wallpaper over them with another wallpaper. You can attempt to heat the wallpaper to loosen the glue or wet the paper to attempt to get more off, but I find that just makes more of a mess than just leaving it on. Once again, you can purchase a variety of wallpapers off of dollhouse sites. Some people choose to print their own on cardstock from designs you can find online. When I was a kid, we also used heavy duty wrapping paper. As for the shingles, they can also be purchased in a variety of styles and materials.
  3. I raid the craft sections at Walmart and Michaels looking for ideas. I also frequently check the dollhouse furniture selection on Ebay. I have found a lot of unique pieces for little money. Personally, I find building the dollhouses the best part. I take months, even years, to finish a project.
  4. I'm happy to say that I found the directions hidden among the sheets of wood at the bottom of the box.
  5. The box says Norcraft, but it was sold by Greenleaf at some time because it is on the Greenleaf store website. It's been marked "sold out" as long as I've been visiting their site though. I've found almost nothing on this site or the web related to it so it must have been out of circulation for awhile.
  6. I recently purchased a Cheltenham from Ebay. I'm am really excited to get this because I've been wanting an affordable front-opening dollhouse so that I can actually decorate one of my dollhouses without the kitties playing in it. There is only one problem. It is missing the directions and schematics. The box was full so I'm hoping all of the pieces are there. I was wondering if anyone had a copy that they would be willing to share. Thanks in advance.
  7. I can't help you with the RGT church. But, if you can't find one and you still want to make a church, the Vineyard Cottage makes a nice one. I just cut back the second floor and left the stairs out to make a smaller balcony for my organ (or you could leave that floor out all together. The windows have a nice "church look" to them, and I am hanging a bell from the eaves of the overhang in the front.
  8. Thanks. I had never heard of Arrow dollhouses before. I certainly don't have room for this one as it looks quite big, but I'm sure I'll find a place. :)
  9. I have been wanting to do a rehab for a long time. Thanks to a friend of mine who spotted one at her church bazaar, I am finally getting the chance. I was wondering if anyone knew what house this is. It looks like it is possibly MDF, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Thanks in advance.
  10. I've done a few of the laser cuts, and I love them. There is almost no sanding or splinters. As Holly mentioned, the edges are a bit sooty, but it's worth it to not have to do all of the sanding, trimming, etc. The wood also seems to be a bit sturdier. I've saved the scrap and used it for a lot of other things. The houses go together so easy that I put my Emerson Row together before I even thought about decorating the rooms.
  11. I have built the castle and am building the cake shop. I have never built 1:24 so I don't know if they are accurate or not. I was going to buy a 1:24 piece of furniture to see if it fit in the castle but after building all of the furniture that went with it, I decided to stick with them. They do look cute and the structures themselves are quite solid. They are a fun quick build activity, but I must admit building all of those tiny pieces is quite a challenge. More than once, I have been on my hands and knees on the floor looking for tiny pieces before my cats swallowed them. They definitely require patience and good fine motor skills.
  12. I have built two Garfields- one inverted. While it is the largest, I find it to actually be one of the easier builds that I have done. I agree with what others have said about taping everything first as a dry fit before you glue. I would recommend doing your interior decorating (floors, wallpaper, paint) before assembling as it is a bit difficult to reach the "hall" areas around the steps. I would also leave the doors and window seat areas off until you have decorated so that you can continue to work in these areas. I replaced the French doors with the premade hinged kind and have never glued them in to improve access. One thing I would also recommend is making sure your pieces are flat until you use them. The Garfield pieces are so big that they warp easily. This is especially true of the tower pieces. Once you dry fit the tower and are satisfied, glue them immediately and then wrap them in tape to hold them while they dry. Looking at my directions regarding the foundation, I agree that they want you to fit the pieces together first (tape them with masking tape or painter's tape) and then glue them once you are sure that you have them all correct. One strategy that I use is to treat it like a puzzle. If I'm not sure about how to put pieces, I experiment with them (with tape) until I get it to look like the picture or until it works. One of the great things about the Garfield is that there is some flexibility in design. I have moved the front door location, added walls, etc. It really is my favorite house design. Good luck, and I'll be happy to help if you have future questions. PS: The house in my avatar picture is my Garfield. I turned it into an English country manor house so a very different look than the Victorian design.
  13. Khadi

20191005-121853.jpg

I love this room box! I hope your cat behaves himself better than mine do around my houses. Good luck in the contest!
  14. I use acrylic craft paint mostly because it is inexpensive at Walmart, and there are a wide variety of color options available to experiment with. I have also used latex household paint and/or primer for larger areas like ceilings. I use a small roller for this and paint it before building the house.
  15. Do you know the name of the dollhouse? People are often willing to share their directions. Some are also online.
  16. I love the idea. It turns a simple house into something impressive. I am working on a very long-term project combining two Garfields and a Beacon Hill. I inverted one of the Garfields and removed some of the walls in the Beacon Hill. I just did all of the necessary pieces "inside out" for the invert. The challenge is cutting pieces to line up doorways,etc. I have a Dremel with woodcutting head to cut the pieces because I find it easier than trying to use saws. I just leave a little extra when I cut so that I can trim it or sand it to get a nice, straight edge. One thing to take into consideration when removing a whole side wall is making sure the remaining structure floors are still being supported. The thin wood is not very sturdy so it's probably a good idea to keep some of the existing exterior wall on the side being cut off or put in a pillar or some other support. Good Luck! I look forward to seeing the end product.
  17. I love the roof and those rafters supporting it. I hope they are salvageable.
  18. I have never attached the steps because mine are bashes, but this post from someone else may help. If you scroll most of the way down, there is a closeup picture of the steps. I hope it will help. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?s=8c52ca49fbc0f0d490e332b609574b55&app=gallery&album=247
  19. I would try contacting Greenleaf. I had a kit that was missing an entire wood sheet, and they sent me a new one free of cost- no questions asked.
  20. I've built two Garfields (one inverted). Did you put in the Front Wall Right section (Sheet 8)? It will create an angled corner in the middle room. Also, you should end up with a narrow "hall" out of the kitchen to the outside door. Part of the wall for this is the angled wall mentioned above. This angled wall is not visible at all from the outside of the house as you should end up with 90 degree angles. This hall is also hard to see in pictures because it is so narrow so it can be a little confusing when building it. If this doesn't help, I may be able to help you further if you can attach pictures of the problem that you are having. This album may also help you as the person has detailed pictures of every step. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?s=8c52ca49fbc0f0d490e332b609574b55&app=gallery&album=247
  21. Khadi

Exterior

This is such a cool idea! What a great tribute to your mom and grandparents.
  22. I have a hot knife that I find works well. If I go to slowly, it sometimes leaves a brown mark, but I don't worry about it because I know I will be covering it up.
  23. You're very welcome to use it. As a teacher, I've come to use PowerPoint for everything. It is a great work space. As for paper, I have used sturdy card stock and matte paper. For "linoleum" floors, I have used photo paper. I find it takes some experimentation to see what paper and print quality a pattern works best with. I let the ink dry a day before gluing it. I also use Aileen's Tacky glue to glue it down rather than wallpaper paste or the glues that have a higher liquid content. The trick is that if you get a bubble, avoid the temptation to push it down (a lesson I've learned more than once). Instead, let it dry on it's own, and it will usually go away. I have never had a trouble with bleeding doing this.
  24. Another way to do something similar, if you don't have photo-editing software, is Microsoft Powerpoint. I use it to create blueprints, mock-ups, and to create repetitive patterns for ceiling and floor designs. I like that it is has the rulers and grids for making things true to scale. The old newspaper wall covering below I created my cutting and pasting old newspaper images into Powerpoint. I did then run it through Paintshop Pro to age all of the images to a similar color.