Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Khadi

1. I use foam board to make door ways where none are present. The best part is that you can fit it in, see how it looks, and then remove it if the doorways do not work or you don't like the look. Of course, this works best if you are planning on wallpapering the walls so that the foam board is hidden. I agree with people discouraging removing entire walls. I'm not familiar with this house, but dollhouses have load-bearing walls just like regular houses. You could weaken the house structurally if you remove interior walls.
  2. I also use tacky glue because I had similar problems with the paste. There are usually bubbles initially but then they go away when it dries. The key is not to try and push down the bumps because you'll get creased. Instead let them flatten on their own.
  3. Thank you for sharing. I have seen Queen Mary's dollhouse at Windsor Castle. It is definitely a must see.
  4. I think I shared this website before, but this dollhouse artist is so amazing that I thought I would share it again. Not only is his work incredible, but he describes the steps for each room that he creates. http://englishmanordollhouse.blogspot.com/2018/
  5. I just remember that mine childhood Arthur was on a turntable with a relatively small base. That might be another option.
  6. Have you considered doing a half scale? I've never done one, but a lot of people here have.
  7. If you want to upgrade your doors, you can buy the premade "narrow doors". They are closer in size than regular interior doors and require minimal cutting to fit.
  8. Great find! There are so many things that you can do with a Beacon Hill.
  9. I have gotten craft "popsicle" sticks at Walmart that were square-ended and the same cheap price as the regular ones.
  10. I'm with Holly. I treat my dollhouses like puzzles and dry fit until things work because the directions really confuse me.
  11. If you like a stone or brick look, there are some great textured brick and stone papers out there. I've used both and had people touch the sides of my houses because they can't believe it's not real.
  12. I know that cat feeling. My oldest, whom I've had for over ten years, is always getting stepped on or tripped over. I keep telling her that after all of these years, I would think she'd realize that being underfoot is not a good idea. Fortunately, number three usually scoots just in time to avoid to much pain inflicted and number two is terrified of getting stepped on so he stays out of the way.
  13. I usually recycle the the outside frame pieces, but I have a container where I put my unused parts. I often find uses for them on other houses. For example, the siding that comes with the Beacon Hill makes excellent floorboards. Unused window and door trim comes in handy if you break a piece on another house. Shingles can be used on other houses that don't come with shingles, etc.
  14. Khadi

Hermitage, floors

The floor looks great!
  15. Cool idea. Have you ever seen Stephen King's "Rose Red"? It was a mini-series from the early 2000s that was inspired by the Winchester Mystery House. One of the rooms in the movie is completely upside down. Another one is a library with a floor made of glass. The hallway is built in perspective so that it looks like it shrinks down to nothing. Anyway, it would provide some cool building ideas.
  16. The Lily is a challenge. I am currently working on one myself, and I must say it is probably the one of the most difficult houses that I have ever built. It also has the challenge of double-hung windows. The actual wall of the dollhouse will become part of the window and it's a little tricky so you may want to assemble at least one before putting the house together to make sure you know what you are doing. I wouldn't install all of them because the window holes become good handholds as you put the center section and outer walls together. If you are painting the walls, I would do that before full assembly because a lot of areas become hard to reach once it is assembled. If you are installing wallpaper, you may want to measure and cut it while you still have easy access but not install it until you have built the structure because it may tear while assembling. I would do a lot of dry fits before you do glue. Make sure you have all of the interior walls that need to be added, etc. before you glue.
  17. I was searching the Internet for Beacon Hill schematics after I misplaced mine. I found this website which has uploaded directions and schematics for the Beacon Hill and other dollhouses. I thought I would share it because I know people frequently ask the forum for help with missing directions and schematics. Beacon Hill Dollhouse Kit Instructions
  18. Most of what other people have said and my Dremel with sanding and woodcutting heads. I love my Dremel!
  19. It should be fine. I used it once and didn't notice much difference between it and polyurethane.
  20. Khadi

rsz-kw7.jpg

I love all of the details.
  21. I am certainly not an expert on these things. It almost looks homemade. Those rooms look nice and spacious. You can do a lot with them.
  22. That is cool! I didn't even see the chair at first.
  23. Khadi

Disaster Averted

I love your floor. I'm glad it worked out in the end.
  24. I just checked out the US-NZ exchange rate and for what they would cost in US dollars, it might be worth paying high shipping prices if they'll ship abroad.
  25. I must confess that I don't. I have about four projects going on right now... and then there's the roofs that I never seem to finish getting the shingles on. I'm fortunate that I have enough space in my work area that I can have them all sitting out to work on when I get the urge. I used to beat myself up over not finishing them, but then I realized that the only one I'm doing this for is me so it's more important that I'm enjoying myself than completing the project.