Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Khadi

1. 20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Karen, you might try gluing Velcro strips to hold your plexi to the backs of your dollhouses; if your kitty can pry those off he must be Hercules!

I have, and he is.  His other favorite activity is to climb up the stairs in my Garfields- No small feat for an 11 lb. cat. 

• Like 1
  2. I have had some luck with velcroing thin sheets of plastic to the backs of some smaller dollhouses to keep my cats out.  I have also tried plexiglass that I could slide in and out of tracks that I made from wood trim.  Mr. Kitty got those off because he has fine motor skills above and beyond the average cat.  It would probably be safe with a bird though.

• Like 1
  3. This house has a lot of space and possibilities.  If you're feeling brave, I would recommend increasing the size of the windows upstairs so that you can use real windows.  The upstairs windows are small and low.  I used square windows because the standard windows won't fit.

4. I have an X-Acto knife kit that I use heavily, especially, for making small cuts like increasing window size.  I cut a little bit at a time until I get a deep enough cut to cut through the wood.  The largest blade can handle a good bit of force.  The key is to buy X-Acto and not a cheaper imitation.  I made that mistake once or twice.  The imitations are weak and useless.

• Like 1
  5. Welcome!  The Garfield is a great house to start with.  I have built/ am building four of them as part of a giant castle.  Despite its size, I have found it one of the easier dollhouses to build.  You may want to consider painting or partially wallpapering and flooring before you put it all together as some of the areas are a bit tricky to reach.  Otherwise, it is a very forgiving house with a lot of flexibility in design.  Good luck, and I hope you enjoy!

6. 10 hours ago, Medieval said:

Having cats myself, i think this is a phenomenal idea! I if I find such a cabinet I think I will do this too! Right now all my odds and ends are stored in a basket in my workroom to keep them safe from my cat's critque! When you finish putting up walls for the rooms, please re-post.

I found this on Amazon.  It was an inexpensive one that you build yourself, but it looks nice and seems sturdy.  It was also easy to build.

7. Like many builders, I have cats that make it difficult to fully decorate my dollhouses.  So, when I saw this cabinet, it seemed like the perfect solution.  Originally, I thought I would use it just to display furniture and items not currently being used in my houses, but now I'm leaning more towards making room boxes out of the shelves using cardboard covered in wallpaper for backdrops.  Pardon the image quality.  I have a hard time finding a resolution that looks good on this forum.

20230805_203112.jpg

• Like 3
  8. I've used foam core to build fireplaces and walls.  I bought a hot knife to cut foam core.  I found it's a lot easier to cut with than a regular knife.  The key is to keep the knife moving or it will leave burn marks on the foam.  I also cut it on top of scrap wood so that I don't damage anything underneath.  

• Like 1
  9. I've built too inverted Garfields.  It's easy to do as long as you don't forget and switch a piece.  The only thing I would check first with the Glencroft is the roof.  Can you get it to bend the opposite direction.  Otherwise, it should be fine.  I would just dry fit as much as possible to make sure everything works.

10. 2 hours ago, FurMama said:

Going out on a limb here but it looks like a classroom model for a kindergarten play center. I'm not knocking your house it's a nice build and it looks like it's in great shape. It should furnish out nicely. The Whitney name rings a bell with me from way back in my classroom days is all.

That was my thought too.  It looks like the play dollhouses that I've seen where I work.  That being said, the rooms are huge.  It could be fixed up really nicely.

11. Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has the a windows sheet from the Garfield that they are not using.  In particular, I am looking for the sheet that has the french door windows.  I have replaced most of my windows, but I like to use the french door inserts for the narrow tower windows.  Thanks

12. Welcome!  Check out Ebay and Etsy for a variety of reasonably priced furnishing and decor.  There are also multiple online stores including Miniature Crush and miniatures.com.  I would explore the gallery on this website and images online to get ideas.  There is no one way to decorate a dollhouse.  It's just a matter of finding what "speaks to you".  Best Wishes!

13. 45 minutes ago, SolitaryDinosaur said:

I've seen this advice on here - so I should ignore the instructions when it says to glue and instead just tape everything together to ensure it all fits well? Would I do this and then paint, glue, etc as the instructions direct?

Welcome.  Tape parts together first to make sure they fit correctly, and you have them in the correct place.  Once you are sure that all is good, then you can glue.  You may want to retape it while the glue is drying to hold it in place.  Paint your ceilings and other parts that you wish to paint before you put it together.  It will make it easier.  (Speaking as someone who always forgets to paint her ceilings before gluing and then has to practically stand on her head to paint.)  Some people wallpaper first while others prefer to wait until it is glued together.  Personally, I prefer to measure and cut wallpaper before gluing, but not install it until after I glue to ensure that I have some overlap at the corners to hide the seam. 

I hope this is helpful.  As Holly mentioned, there are a lot of great dollhouse blogs to give you ideas and strategies.  And, don't worry if you make a few mistakes.  We all do.  It is a learning process.  Best wishes!  

14. I've cut up vinyl tile samples from Home Depot and then used a fine grout.  It works for larger tiles.  I've used it to get a stone floor look.  It might be a bit more difficult to cut for smaller tiles.

• Like 1