Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Khadi

1. I would scour the Internet for ideas.  Try searching haunted dollhouses.  There is no right way to do it.  You should be able to just paint over old paint.  Another option is to wallpaper.  There are a variety of strategies to make wallpaper look old and stained.  If you are really struggling, perhaps you could paint it all white so that you have a blank slate like people often do when they sell a regular house.  Then the past owners vision won't interfere with yours.

2. It's been awhile since I built the Beacon Hill, but I looked at the directions.  It looks like it is a support brace that you glue on the bottom.  According to the picture, it goes in the middle, standing on its side, pointing from front to back.  The blog mention above will definitely also be helpful, and she has a picture of what the foundation should look like from underneath. 

Greenleaf directions can be a bit challenging if you are like me and don't process written directions well.  The key is to build the dollhouse like a puzzle.  Fit things together multiple times first without gluing (dryfitting) until you are sure you have it correct. Also, label your parts with pencil.  It will make things easier when taking pieces apart and putting them back together.  It also helps if pieces accidentally get punched out. Most importantly, don't get discouraged.  Building dollhouses are a labor of love that take a lot of time and patience.  The end product it worth it though.

• Like 1
  3. I have listed items and purchased items on Ebay.  Sellers are fickle when it comes to dollhouse furniture.  You can go weeks without a nibble and then have multiple bids.   If you want to get rid of things quickly and don't care about making a lot of money, than selling as a lot is the way to go.  They usually go the fastest.  I usually do auctions because items seem to go faster.  It seems like items are overlooked when they are "Buy It Now".  I've gotten some good "Buy It Now" deals because high end items have sat at low prices for weeks.  I just got a Bespaq piece that sold "Buy It Now" for a fraction of what the same piece was going for in an auction.  This makes me think people mostly just stick to the auctions.  No matter what you choose, go through the steps carefully and have your boxes and packing materials in advance.  The will ask you for the weight and measurements of the box when you set up the sale.  I would also recommend packaging things as carefully as possible.  I would say 75% of the time, I get pieces with broken legs no matter how carefully people package items.  I just accept it as part of buying on Ebay and have gotten good at gluing.  But, other people may not be so generous.   If you have any other questions, please feel free to message me or respond to this message.  No matter what, I wish you good luck!

• Like 2
  4. Some people use wood glue.  I prefer Aileen's craft glue because it's the perfect thickness so that it doesn't run..  It can also be used for almost every stage of the dollhouse.  It's best not to use hot glue because it breaks down over time.  I do use hot glue on occasion when I'm gluing something I may want to remove later.

• Like 1
  5. I can't find the directions online, but this blog is very helpful for seeing the steps of the process.  Make sure you dry fit pieces along the way and tape them with masking or painters tape.  That way you can make sure you have pieces in the correct place before gluing.  Use a craft glue or wood glue not hot glue.  That way it will last for many years to come.

https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-glencroft-dollhouse-day-1.html

6. I've gotten some really good flooring paper and some really bad flooring paper.  I really like the brand/style in the link below.  The picture in the link unfortunately doesn't do it justice.  The best paper has a little gloss to it but is not too glossy.  The trick is to line up the seams and not overlap them.  I would also put a piece of wood as trim at the end of the floor because the paper can get beat up at the edges easily.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/776768467/dollhouse-miniature-parquet-wood?click_key=ad57f3acf48decead8a77c182e7fcd088f912c02%3A776768467&click_sum=8379de23&ref=shop_home_active_118&crt=1&sts=1

7. I had great plans for my Shadybrook and Creekside Cabin bash, but it hasn't happened.  I am now selling it on Ebay and locally.  The cabin has upgraded windows, hardwood floors in two areas, and staircase.  The cabins can be separated or kept together.  I also have the original can of outside stain if someone wants it.  It is for local pickup only in the DC/Northern VA area.  Please message me if you are interested.

I also have a MiniTown Loft shell kit available for sale.  It is new in an unopened box.  I can ship but would prefer local pickup.  

20220614_13 sm.jpg

20220614_10 sm.jpg

8. I use latex for big areas like the ceiling and priming.  I prefer semi-gloss white for the ceilings.  I find the semi-gloss reflects light and brightens up the rooms because I don't electrify my houses.  I use acrylic paints for everything else.  I get the small bottles from the Walmart craft section (or any store with a craft section).  They cost less than a dollar.  There are a large variety of colors.  

9. I bashed a Beacon Hill to be the part of a castle.  I don't recall the main structure being very difficult.  I can't speak to the windows and trim, however, because I didn't did straighten the wall in the entry hall.  This made the big room on the first floor larger. 

I have personally found the bigger houses like the Beacon Hill and the Garfield much easier than the smaller houses.  I had the most trouble with the Orchid, which is ironically a house that many people start with.

10. Typically the nice side of the wood goes on the outside unless you are inverting the house.  It's always helpful to dry fit your house with tape before gluing to make sure that you have all of the parts in the right place and facing the right direction.