Khadi

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Khadi

1. A ruler that has inches on one side and millimeters/centimeters on the other can be really useful to get a visual comparison of the different measurements.  These are fairly standard in the US if you're having trouble finding them at home.  Being in the US, I am more comfortable using inches, but I'm familiar with both and find millimeters useful for really tiny measurements.

• Like 1
  2. This is Greenleaf's contact information.  If they can't help you in time, you could get some clear plastic sheets from Amazon or elsewhere and cut them to size to fit temporarily until you can get replacements with the design on them.

GREENLEAF DOLLHOUSES
      436 LAKE ROAD
      SCHENEVUS, NY 12155
      UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 
      Phone: (800) 253-7150
      Fax: (607) 638-9076
      email: customerservice@greenleafdollhouses.com

3. I use foam board to make door ways where none are present.  The best part is that you can fit it in, see how it looks, and then remove it if the doorways do not work or you don't like the look.  Of course, this works best if you are planning on wallpapering the walls so that the foam board is hidden.  

I agree with people discouraging removing entire walls.  I'm not familiar with this house, but dollhouses have load-bearing walls just like regular houses.  You could weaken the house structurally if you remove interior walls.

4. I also use tacky glue because I had similar problems with the paste.  There are usually bubbles initially but then they go away when it dries. The key is not to try and push down the bumps because you'll get creased.   Instead let them flatten on their own.

5. 7 hours ago, CTYankee79 said:

Working on my first house, the Orchid...haven't gotten to the interior yet but thinking ahead I was planning on doing hardwood floors using popsicle sticks, any handy tricks to making the round edges square? Or just dremel or snip each one by one?

My floor is slightly under the front door entrance right now. Directions say to ensure its level with doorway, but it seems better to have it be a little lower to allow room to install the flooring. 

I have gotten craft "popsicle" sticks at Walmart that were square-ended and the same cheap price as the regular ones.

6. 3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

One of the reasons I discovered the dry fit and use it so much is that the written instructions don't always make sense to me.

I'm with Holly.  I treat my dollhouses like puzzles and dry fit until things work because the directions really confuse me.

• Like 1
  7. I know that cat feeling.  My oldest, whom I've had for over ten years, is always getting stepped on or tripped over.  I keep telling her that after all of these years, I would think she'd realize that being underfoot is not a good idea. Fortunately, number three usually scoots just in time to avoid to much pain inflicted and number two is terrified of getting stepped on so he stays out of the way.

• Like 1
  8. I usually recycle the the outside frame pieces, but I have a container where I put my unused parts.  I often find uses for them on other houses.  For example, the siding that comes with the Beacon Hill makes excellent floorboards.  Unused window and door trim comes in handy if you break a piece on another house.  Shingles can be used on other houses that don't come with shingles, etc.

9. 6 hours ago, Hdb3674 said:

I've just started on My First Dollhouse, the lily. I'm stuck. I don't know whether to paint, to glue, or how to proceed. I've painted and assembled my doors. And my windows. The next instructions asked me to glue the window casings to the walls. I don't know if I should paint the walls first. This is proving a daunting process and I don't want to mess it up, partly due to my OCD. LOL. Could someone help?

The Lily is a challenge.  I am currently working on one myself, and I must say it is probably the one of the most difficult houses that I have ever built.  It also has the challenge of double-hung windows.  The actual wall of the dollhouse will become part of the window and it's a little tricky so you may want to assemble at least one before putting the house together to make sure you know what you are doing.  I wouldn't install all of them because the window holes become good handholds as you put the center section and outer walls together.  If you are painting the walls, I would do that before full assembly because a lot of areas become hard to reach once it is assembled.  If you are installing wallpaper, you may want to measure and cut it while you still have easy access but not install it until you have built the structure because it may tear while assembling.  

I would do a lot of dry fits before you do glue.  Make sure you have all of the interior walls that need to be added, etc. before you glue.  

10. I was searching the Internet for Beacon Hill schematics after I misplaced mine.  I found this website which has uploaded directions and schematics for the Beacon Hill and other dollhouses.  I thought I would share it because I know people frequently ask the forum for help with missing directions and schematics.

Beacon Hill Dollhouse Kit Instructions

• Like 2
  11. 3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I shudder to think what shipping to the US would be, seeing the range of shipping prices within NZ.  They are really gorgeously detailed, though I wish they weren't MDF.

I just checked out the US-NZ exchange rate and for what they would cost in US dollars, it might be worth paying high shipping prices if they'll ship abroad.  

• Like 1
  12. I must confess that I don't.  I have about four projects going on right now... and then there's the roofs that I never seem to finish getting the shingles on.  I'm  fortunate that I have enough space in my work area that I can have them all sitting out to work on when I get the urge.  I used to beat myself up over not finishing them, but then I realized that the only one I'm doing this for is me so it's more important that I'm enjoying myself than completing the project.

• Like 5