• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Karen
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1315 profile views
  1. You're very welcome to use it.  As a teacher, I've come to use PowerPoint for everything.  It is a great work space.  As for paper, I have used sturdy card stock and matte paper.  For "linoleum" floors, I have used photo paper.  I find it takes some experimentation to see what paper and print quality a pattern works best with.  I let the ink dry a day before gluing it.  I also use Aileen's Tacky glue to glue it down rather than wallpaper paste or the glues that have a higher liquid content.  The trick is that if you get a bubble, avoid the temptation to push it down (a lesson I've learned more than once).  Instead, let it dry on it's own, and it will usually go away.  I have never had a trouble with bleeding doing this.  
  2. Another way to do something similar, if you don't have photo-editing software, is Microsoft Powerpoint.  I use it to create blueprints, mock-ups, and to create repetitive patterns for ceiling and floor designs.  I like that it is has the rulers and grids for making things true to scale.  The old newspaper wall covering below I created my cutting and pasting old newspaper images into Powerpoint.  I did then run it through Paintshop Pro to age all of the images to a similar color.
  3. Adding accessories to the San Fran kitchen.jpeg

I love your attention to detail!
  4. Newest Addition to Our Home

Rescue cats are wonderful!  I have three of them- each with their own story.
  5. Doors and hinges

I have used Houseworks doors on my Garfield.  They work for most of the interior doorways.  They also sell narrow doors that work for some of the smaller doorways.  I moved my front door to the side where the bay is and filled in around it with foam board.  The only opening I have not been able to fit a door into is the room with the step down because the doorway opening is so close the ceiling.  
  6. I have gotten people via the phone number, but I did it by leaving a message and then they called me back.
  7. "Destroying" a couple Lawbre houses?

I love thinking of my houses as empty shells that I can turn into whatever I want them to be.  None of my houses look like what the manufacturers intended and when I've attempted to make houses look like the pictures on the boxes, I've lost interest.  I think you should do whatever makes you happy while building them since your not in it for the money.  Someone out there will find them interesting and unique.  And, if not, they'll buy them and redecorate them to their own tastes.  And you'll never have to know about it. ;)
  8. the work crew. Always eager to help

I know this scene quite well.  Kitties are such good helpers. 
  9. In my other hobby life, I run a Facebook page dedicated to photography of a lion family, and I post a lot of other zoo photography.  Stealing other's work is a frequent problem on social media.  One thing that I've learned from photography friends is to put a watermark including a copyright symbol on all my valued photos that I post.  I would suggest to anyone who has editing software to do this.  If you don't have editing software but have Microsoft, you can copy your photo onto a Powerpoint slide and then use the text tool to put a copyright on it.  When you save the photo, there is an option to save it as a .jpg in the "Save at type:" box under where you type the file name.  
  10. IMG-2850.JPG

I love the stone walls.  I need to learn how to do that.
  11. I used stain on the siding on my abandoned cabin and my Old West general store.  The trick is to experiment with different gray stains.  Some of them look great, but others just look like gray paint or barely show up at all.  I found Varathane gray stains worked best.
  12. I had to deconstruct a partially finished Garfield when I put my condo on the market a few years back and couldn't have it sitting around.  I used a hair dryer and a knife just as Kathie described, and it worked fine.  The key is to get off all of the old glue off so that the pieces fit together correctly when you remake it.  
  13. Bathroom floor

I've used the same wood strips often on floors.  The trick is to put something heavy on them to flatten them as the glue dries.  I haven't tried painting them, but I usually stain after I glue them down which helps them to flatten also.  If I see a glue spot appear when I stain, I sand it, and then apply another coat of stain. 
  14. Lets talk carpet.

I like felt because it's cheap and easy to use.  I also like it for stair runners because it is flexible and easy to glue to the stairs.  I cut it on a paper cutter because it can be accidentally stretched when being cut with scissors.
  15. 5c7affb09faf4-IMG-1517(450x338).jpg

Very impressive!  I can never keep my lines that straight- even with the ruler.