blueirishmoon

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by blueirishmoon

1. Expanding on that idea, Sable...maybe punch out the metal for tops and bottoms of cans, and cut a wooden dowel for the can's body? Glue the metal onto the top and bottom, and cover the wood with your label? Would that work, Briana?
  2. The only downside, I suppose...
  3. I love storms, and would see plenty of them growing up in FL. Where I am in NC, I don't see as many rainstorms, but the ones I do, usually have lots of lightning and little rain or vice versa. I LOVE fall and winter, especially 55 F and below. I don't even break out the long pants unless it gets below 30 F. "I'm hot blooded, check me and see. Got a fever of a hundred and three..." Not really, but I do run a little hotter than most people. Oh well, you can't please all of the people all of the time!
  4. My kind of weather, Anna! Wish I'd see more like it where I am.
  5. Beautiful shot! Now if only you could send some of it my way in NC...
  6. Hey Jodi! My doc said the same thing about my D levels. "Lowest I've ever seen". She put me on the mega dose last year, then lightened up to what you take. In my case, the D gives me more energy. I avoid the sun and am a little overweight, which can affect how much D is available in the body. It gets stored in the fat and becomes unavailable to the cells, which then causes chronic shortfall.
  7. Sable, I think it looks great the way it is! I love the foundation; what did you use? But if you're going to change it, how about a pale yellow, or a very warm-toned cream?
  8. Hi Laura, and welcome! You may not want to whip out that glue gun. Others here have told many new members it's kind of a no-no with minis. Something about the glue not holding up to the test of time. If you read further, there is lots of helpful info for making your dreams a reality. Enjoy!
  9. Hello and welcome, Gena! Glad you've rejoined the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your future builds.
  10. My grandfather on my mother's side fought in WWII. If his commanding officer hadn't had him in their unit, they would have been lost in Germany's Black Forest. He was leading them in circles, and my grandpa realized it. He asked him, "Do you realize that?" and the officer told him, "Yes, but if I don't keep doing it the men will realize we're lost and panic." Because he loved the outdoors and knew how to navigate, my grandpa told him he'd lead them out of that forest and he did. They didn't get captured, either. My dad wanted to enlist for Vietnam, but the army rejected him because of his eyes. He uses one eye for distance, the other for closeup. But I guess he didn't meet their regulations? So he didn't get to serve. Thank you to all veterans who fought and are still fighting for freedom!
  11. Oh no, Sable! Bad luck for your son. Here's hoping repairs won't be too expensive. Well I worked on some stained glass last night. Soldered the frame on the piece I was waiting on; now I just need to do the final finish (maybe later tonight?) and take a picture of it. Then I can cut a new piece for the commission I'm almost done with, grind the border pieces, foil them, and solder. Next week I'll probably have it ready so I can get the frame cut.
  12. I had it too when I just checked my email. If you can't be bothered to use correct English grammar and sentence structure, you are NOT a real person. Just kidding; I don't, of course, include people whose first language wasn't English.
  13. Mmmm. Cheeseburger, fries and a coke...the holy trinity. LOL. Had some productive stained glass work yesterday. Got a frame cut for a piece that's almost done. Just have to solder it on and do the final finishwork on it; then I can take a photo and post it in my gallery. Also cut pieces for a border on a commission that's nearing completion; lots of people who've seen it in progress have loved it, and said various things like "eye of hurricane" "whirlpool" or "spacescape", it's an abstract done in shades of purple and clear. Foiled some more pieces; I have to cut and grind a few pieces for a holiday suncatcher I'm going to hang on the front door: it's a French horn with red ribbon and holly leaves. Should be ready by Christmas. Also have to get more copper wire for the finished edge of it; along with some to use on a moon and star suncatcher that's almost done...Yes, I just keep cranking them out. My mom asked me how many she thought I was doing in relation to her; I said "for every 1 you do, I do about 4 or 5". Also got some new pattern books to use with an eye for mini stained glass work I hope to experiment with in the coming months....
  14. Aw, Sable, don't say that! One of your houses could be a surprising hit with that crowd. You never know just what will catch a person's fancy. Black is always good; is there a color you love to wear or that looks especially nice on you? I don't know how fancy the event would be; maybe wear something with a little sparkle?
  15. Beautiful! Loving the shabby chic vibe. I think you should contact Romantic Homes magazine; they'd be sure to publish photos in the "readers" section...
  16. Oh geez, Kelly, you've had a time of it! Went to the eye doctor today for my yearly checkup. New Dr., since my regular one retired a few months after last year's appointment. He was awesome! This new gal is ok, but she's very young, so she needs about 20 years of experience to equal my old doctor. Vision is stable, as it's been for the last few years, yay! Unfortunately, the sadist of an assistant had to put eye drops in, 3 times, and I had my eyes dilated. When my eyes first started changing, it was new glasses every 2 months, basically. I'm EXTREMELY near-sighted, so much so that if I were to have the laser correction done, they couldn't bring my vision back to 20/20. Of course, it might be good if they could improve it...as it is, everything beyond the end of my nose is a blur without my glasses. I also have astigmatism, which makes depth perception hit or miss. Yes, I do sometimes misjudge if I'm walking centered through doorways, and wind up knocking into the side of the doorway. And don't get me started on trying to parallel park. I usually wind up halfway in the street or halfway up the sidewalk.
  17. Stay safe, Barbara! We've had some weird weather here in NC. Flip flopping mostly, with warm sunny days and cooler drizzly days. I don't have to tell you which I prefer, right?
  18. Hello and welcome, Pamela! What an understanding husband. I'm sorry to hear you have back trouble. I have it occasionally myself, although not as bad as you. Any way, it's good you have an outlet to distract and keep yourself entertained. I look forward to seeing pictures of your builds. When you've made 5 posts you can start an album in the gallery. Good luck with the Newport!
  19. Yay Mike! Keep that eye candy coming...it looks awesome!
  20. Went out to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday with my mom and dad for our annual leaf-peeper's picnic. Lots of fun, plenty of color, and I got some nice photos. Nice leisurely drive home, where dad proceeded to barbecue up some spareribs...mmm! Sticking close to home today though; I may or may not do some more stained glass work.
  21. Sure! You can order houseworks brand windows and doors from miniatures.com. You may have to enlarge your openings slightly, though. You could also try searching for "timberbrook" and "Carlson" on ebay; sometimes old stock from them shows up.
  22. Aww. Love the little lions. Will seriously have to think about buying a few.
  23. That would be the Duracraft Tudor, TD-200, prior to 1989, when they changed that design. Duracraft has been out of business for several years. It's a cute house, similar to the Greenleaf Glencroft. You're only as limited as your imagination. If you want it to look traditional, try stucco outside and the trim painted dark, or you can make it look like brick or stone. On ebay there is a seller who sells great stone-patterned wallpapers with bumpy texture, so they look pretty real. One of the members on here used it to finish their large scale tudor, I think it was an Arrow Dream dollhouse.