blueirishmoon

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by blueirishmoon

1. Fun! Thanks for the video and the mod inspiration...
  2. Holly, a lot of vintage rug kits come with wool yarn. The trick to working with it, I understand, is to separate it into individual plys and use only one to stitch the canvas. Whenever I find a vintage kit, I take some Benadryl, clip samples of the wool yarn and make a color card, which then gets sealed in plastic, and I take my lint roller to the canvas to pick up all those individual hairs that wool sheds. I then compare the colors to my DMC card and pick which I want to use.
  3. Just added some pictures to my gallery "glass art". Two are better shots of a previous posted project. One is all new. Let me know what you think. And, yes, these are life-size, not mini sized.
  4. From the album: Glass Art

My newest completed commission! This is going to my dad's cousin for her 65th birthday. She used to live in MA, but is now in NC. Her old house had the most beautiful garden, with lots of blooming flowers, some of which were irises. I always thought it a crime when she found out the new buyer ripped everything out. All those flowers, and the pretty trees, too. On to the glass. Background is Spectrum small hammered. The green is a fabulous Wissmach, that I also used in my crocus. The yellow is Spectrum dark amber. And the blue is I believe from Youghiogheny. It's hard to see in the picture, but in person, the smaller blue pieces are a shade darker, almost purple, which happens when they mix the sheets. There can be a very wide variance in tone. The blue also has some small mottles (light spots) which are made when they hit the hot glass with bursts of air. The air pushes the glass, making light areas where the air hits, and darker areas around them where the displaced glass is pushed. This also makes mottled glass very varied in thickness, and it doesn't always lie perfectly flat.
  5. From the album: Glass Art

Decided to retake this one. Better photo-taking conditions today!
  6. From the album: Glass Art

Wasn't happy with the original picture I posted, so while I was taking one of a new project, decided to retake this one. Conditions were just right for me: cloudy with lots of indirect light. The border pieces actually have more of a purple-blue tone which my camera found hard to capture.
  7. Very cute! Loving the ironwork and the shop window. Now if only it was 1:12...
  8. It depends. What materials does she like to use? If she stitches with wool yarn, I'd have to pass. (I'm terribly allergic to it.) But if she uses cotton floss, I'd be interested.
  9. Can't wait to see the finished product, Sable! You picked my favorite tree to reproduce. Not really working on minis today, but had a good grinder session for my stained glass work. Onward with this commission. Have to get it done by Friday, but that shouldn't be a problem. Later I will clean and foil the glass. And if that doesn't take too long I'll also put it on the layout in preparation for soldering.
  10. If you want an opaque interior, perhaps a ping pong ball would work?
  11. Good for you, Mike! My parents have been married nearly as long; 39 years this past August. Loving the bench and signboard in the ground floor.
  12. Hello and welcome, Shay! I'd love to see what you do with the Franklin.
  13. Hello Tanya and welcome! I live in NC too, about 40 minutes east of Winston, so not too far from you. I don't have any builds I'm working on currently, but plans for them...Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime.
  14. Another gorgeous creation! Two of my favorite flowers too. Keep making the pretties!
  15. Yes, please to both of you! I'd love to see tutorials for both brushes and paints. I wouldn't mind those labels either, Mike. I'm sure I can find a mini artist to inhabit a scene...
  16. Mike those paint tubes look great! So realistic. I feel like I could sit down and open one up and go to town!
  17. Beautiful teapot! Love the detail and swirl pattern. Might be nice for a seaside home.
  18. Nice bright colors. Good job!
  19. Looking good, Mike! I always admire people with mad drawing skills. So what's the next project, an artist's studio?
  20. I like to use crescent roll dough to make jam turnovers. I take 2 of the little dough triangles, place a big pat of butter on one and a heaping spoonful of your favorite jam, then place the other triangle on top, pinch the edges together to seal and bake as usual. Mmmm.
  21. Hello and welcome! I've always had a soft spot for the Harrison. How nice that the kids are interested. I'd love to see pictures! Maybe you'll go on to make another?
  22. Hello and welcome! That food looks so good. The bread looks fresh from the oven, mmm.
  23. Hello and welcome! I think you'll love it here. Lots of inspiration to find, and very helpful members. Looking forward to seeing how the house turns out.