Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Katie
  • Country
    Please Select
  1. Completely by accident today I stumbled on a small dolls house exabition being held at the National Botanical Gardens of Wales. I didn't even know it was taking place so was thrilled to see them all there. I was asking one lady how she lights her houses and she allowed me to go round the back of the stall and explained it all to me. This was the first time I had a proper conversation with some one face to face about this wonderful hobby. Another lady explained to me how she makes the plates with food on them. Yes I was in mini paradise! Even better I have been invited to thier club which takes place once a month and every so often they have a craft night, last time they made miniature wicker bastkets. Does anyone here go to a club? Do you enjoy it? Are you inspired? Katie x
  2. I started out with the smallest thing first. I thought if I can make a foot stool then I can make a chair. If I can make a chair I can make a couch. If I can make a couch I can make a bed etc etc x
  3. KatieM

Headboard

Maybe the bed and the blue couch but the others were just practice pieces. I started with the foot stool and went from there.
  4. What I have learn't is that I need a lot more patience. Most of the flaws I can see are because I rushed.. AND FOAM BOARD! urg don't get me strarted on that... horrible to cut. I am going to try and use less glue when working with fabric too.
  5. KatieM

Kitchen

The calander is a great idea!
  6. KatieM

Bed with duvet

The duvet was made from one of my husbands linen shirts. He was throwing it away so I didn't feel too bad cutting it up for my project.
  7. KatieM

Mondern Couch

I used part of this tutorial - http://mitchymoominiatures.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/take-seat-part-2.html but I did not iron anything on, I use glue. lots and lots of glue! x
  8. Thank you that means a lot to me. I am looking forward to improving my little creations.
  9. KatieM

First attempt creating miniatures

Hi :) this is my first attempt at making furniture, they are not perfect but looking at my mistakes I can see where I went wrong and what I will do differently next time. I have never worked with wood before and never been taught how to sew. I managed to learn a few simple stitches through online tutorials and B&Q are sick of me going in asking questions about wood ha. Please take a minute to look through the photos as I would love some feedback. Katie x
  10. Hello everyone, Its been a month or so since I joined. Since then I have created a few miniatures, some based on tutorials others I have had to just work out myself. I have found this site and espically one inch minis by Kris has really helped me. My miniatures are first attempts, I had no wood work or sewing experiance so I have taught myself a few things mainly with online tutorials and hassling B&Q or Hobby Craft before being told to leave the store ha. I know these little pieces are not perfect and I can see plently of flaws, practice makes perfect so I will coninute to make them until I get it just right. I would love to know what this community things of my first attempts. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=7294 Thank you, Katie x
  11. A wiring plan would be very useful, I am guessing it would all have to be done before any inside decorating could take place? I have a family member who would be willing to help me if I asked so I wouldn't going at it alone. I am still in the very early stages of this hosue of mine but as I go on I realise there is so much to think about and to keep me occupied its fantastic! x
  12. I haven't got a clue when it comes to wiring, in fact I don't even know how to rewire a plug. I was discussing this with a shop owner last weekend and he said I could just buy battery operated lights for my dolls house, but the down side is they are not as bright and a tad more expensive. I don't mind the price but I don't want to invest in them if they are going to cast a dim light over something I am working really hard on. Anyone else had this issue? or does anyone use just battery operated lights, if so how do you find them? Are they ok? I am sorry If this post is not in the right place, if so please move it x
  13. This is so beautiful, great inspiration!
  14. Thank you Mike and everyone else It is really nice to find people who don't smirk when I tell them what I am up to. I will probably be asking for loads of advice when it comes to creating more miniatures I am sure of it. I found the blog - 1 inch minis by kris, that has been really helpful too!