• Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Ellie
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

179 profile views
  1. New in San Francisco

Yeah, I have 5 posts so I will put pictures in my gallery.
  2. New in San Francisco

Duracraft VM800  Victorian Mansion remodel I decided I did't like the 'linoleum' floor in the kitchen (actually contact paper), so I installed hardwood and stained it to match the rest of the 1st floor.  I had carpet on the 2nd floor because the kit only came with enough wood flooring strips for the 1st floor.  I removed the carpet and replaced it with wood flooring. I'm finishing up the floor in the 2nd floor 5-sided tower room.  It's challenging to get in there to get a proper fit.
  3. New in San Francisco

Continuing with progress on my Duracraft VM800 Victorian Mansion......Much of the wallpaper was faded and discolored so I replaced all the 1st and 2nd floor wallpaper.  I had to remove the window trim which I had originally attached with a hot glue gun.  My hairdryer wasn't cutting it so I borrowed my husband's heat gun (used for shrink tubing) and managed  to loosen the glue without setting the wallpaper or the house on fire.  
  4. New in San Francisco

Hello All, I can't believe it's been over three years since I joined this forum!  Life can certainly get in the way of dollhouse building.  I did get new doors for my Duracraft VM800 Victorian Mansion.  I tried making my own doors but was not happy with the results.  With my handy husband's help, we did successfully enlarge the existing openings and installed new doors. Since then I have been remodeling my original build.  The exterior paint was a soooo 80's avocado green so I repainted it blue.  Remember, I started building this house in the early 1980's.  I completed the porch, the porch railings and roof, and laid a plank floor. More to come.  I'm trying to get my 5 posts in so I can start my picture gallery.  
  5. New in San Francisco

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions.  I have never constructed anything without a kit.  Maybe it's time I tried.  Or I may see if I can modify door from a miniature supplier.   I was going to attach a photo of the ugly door and my in progress house but I found out I need to have five posts before I can do that.
  6. Hello all,   I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this forum.  I purchased a VM-800 about 30 years ago and very nearly completed it - except for the roof and the porch railings.   Then we bought a real house - a fixer-upper so the dollhouse was stored away.  Now I am retired and would like to finish it.  I have all the parts, instructions, etc.  It's painted, electrified, wallpapered, the flooring is in, and I have a lot of furniture.  I actually started out collecting miniature furniture and later decided I needed a house for my collection.   My problem is that I don't like the doors that came with the kit and would like to replace them with more authentic looking doors.  In researching this I find that all the available 1:12 doors are much bigger than the openings on the house - by as much as a 1/2".  I am a little nervous about enlarging the openings.  Has anyone done this before and do you have any tips?  Or are there other sources for the doors?  I have looked at Houseworks and some others on miniatures.com.   Any help would be appreciated.