• Last visited

11 Good

About langleyminiatures

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    www.cabinfibers.com

Profile Information

• Interests
    Quilting, sewing, knitting, pottery...and minis.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Wendy
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Super cute! Years ago, there was a Nutshell News article that used rolled up foil (heavy duty, no straw), which I thought worked well. It's soft enough to squoosh a bit, just like the life-size version. I think they may have used seed beads for caps, but I don't recall.
  2. Very cool! Do you know how they determine pricing? Is there any savings in printing them all together (connected in some way)? Looking forward to seeing them installed.
  3. Thanks so much to all who responded! I ended up deciding to return it, and get something else I've always wanted, a small kiln. I figure I can use it for things I already sort of know how to do, in both full-size and mini. But still enjoy the challenge of learning something new (metal clay is calling!) If anyone is ever looking, though, I HIGHLY recommend this company. Their customer service was outstanding. My husband explained what I was looking to do with it, and they were super honest, and said I probably wouldn't be happy with the fine detail, but that resin (not a product they sell) might better suit my purpose. Needless to say, that is not in the budget at the moment. I ultimately decided to take their word for it, as, understandably, there is a restocking fee if I tried it before sending it back. Shapeways has a good thing going.
  4. I didn't even consider mold making, that is an excellent idea. I make molds for clay/resin a good bit. Not for mass production of any one item, but usually to create components. I think I would be willing to take on the software/design learning curve if I had a clear goal in mind. But, it might be more practical to use Shapeways in the meantime, for the cost of the printer itself. Would love to see some of the pieces you've had made!
  5. I was wondering how that was done without a flat iron!! Off to Google, thank you!!
  6. Ha! I do see your point, but I don't necessarily see it as a replacement for something like a traditional wooden chair. I think of something more like the Chrysnbon bathtub. It's something that would be almost cost prohibitive to make in traditional materials, in the appropriate scale (very thin walled, finely detailed.) That bathtub is used in some of the finest of mini homes, no shame! In smaller scales especially, traditional materials (even wood!) reach limitations in both durability and realism. And, while it's not my personal taste, I do think miniatures in general could use a resurgence among younger, techie, folks. Making insta-furniture widely available may actually do the opposite of life-sucking, it could be a gateway drug! <insert evil laugh here>
  7. We stay out of the city as much as possible, but it's nice to know it's there just in case! IKEA is just one example. Gainesville is more my speed!
  8. I definitely need to take more in-progress pictures! Nothing like spending an entire day on it, and feeling like I'm exactly where I've started...and with a To-Do list twice as long. Will try to get a couple up this week!
  9. Oooh...nifty...thanks!! I did find some things online last night, but most were made with fancy pants ($$$$) machines, so it was hard to determine the differences in capabilities. For example, the one I'm looking at uses a spool of PLA (plastic), but others use ABS, and I think I read that Shapeways is some sort of a resin powder? I guess plastic is plastic, that it can all be painted one way or another, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm in for. :)
  10. Zootopia is really cute, not sure that it has made it to Netflix and the like, yet. I also liked the Lego Movie a LOT more than I thought I would! I admit to watching it even after my boys leave the room sometimes.
  11. Thank you! Just north of Atlanta ('burbs!) and we've got a cabin just a bit north of that.
  12. My very sweet husband bought me a 3D printer (http://newmatter.com/#!/) as an early Mother's Day gift for my minis. However, before I accept (or return), I would love to hear from anyone else who has a home-use printer. I'm afraid that it won't really be able to produce the detail/quality I would want in something tiny. Or, that it would require A LOT of cleanup (sanding, filling, prepping, priming) after the fact, making it faster for me to create in traditional methods. None of my houses/scenes would be considered modern enough that plastic furniture or pieces (like Playmobil!) would look right, so I know I'll need to paint, but how much else? I'd very much appreciate any experiences or resources you may have to share. My kids have printed 3D objects in workshops, and at school, so I'm moderately familiar with the output, but not of this particular machine, or in this scale. I want it to be something I'll love and use. All advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
  13. Hi! I may have done this years ago, when I first registered, but I honestly don't remember. Just pretend we haven't met. ;) I have two school-age children that are growing to a stage where I can take up minis again. My biggest, probably lifelong, project is my bashed (improved?) Foxhall Manor. I bought it years ago at the HBS Outlet; assembled the shell, wired it, custom built a tower, cut new windows, made new rooms, and it has sat that way ever since. I've just started getting everything back out again. Because it has sat vacant for so long, I'm finding things that need to be redone as I go. It's frustrating, but a labor of love, I suppose. I also have in my mini 'hood: A San Franciscan from my childhood, that will one day be redone as a haunted house (the yellowing wallpaper is aged to perfection) An Orchid where Santa Claus and his elves work A modern garage, I think I built it from a Nutshell News article when I was in high school A fairy garden (the kind you have to remember to water) A hat shop that is part of the Street of Shops; the others are in progress, but it will eventually include a bakery While I had children underfoot, I took up portable, less fragile, projects, like knitting/crochet, and sewing. I am enjoying incorporating some of those things into miniature. In between waiting for paint to dry on my Foxhall, I've gotten out my FIMO, and have made some tiny mice for the kitchen (one of them is currently my profile pic.) Thanks for letting me join in!
  14. I love using a quilting ruler for that exact reason! They do sell a non-slip backing (it comes in a roll, like a clear contact paper) that I find very helpful. One roll will cover MANY rulers...I'm a quilter...I have a LOT. :)
  15. I used one to spray all the parts of my Foxhall Manor with primer out of the box. It was a huge timesaver! Now that I'm getting into more detailed painting (like the interior window casings, that are painted to match the individual room), it brushes on really smoothly, and doesn't soak right into the wood. What normally is 3-4 coats, is now 2 at most. And ceilings/walls are already ready for wallpapering without any further prep. The sprayer I have is time consuming to setup (getting the right paint consistency) and clean. So unless you are doing a lot (say, all the exterior trim), it doesn't seem worth it to me to get it out and set it up. But, I'm also a room-at-a-time type builder. If you were doing this on a large scale, I definitely think it'd be worth it! Oh, and the sprayer I have is an inexpensive one, I think it came from Harbor Freight Tools. It works great, just as I said, kind of a hassle to set up. Good luck!