jaxenro

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by jaxenro

1. I used flat black paint then bronze powder over it. Maybe a second coat of powder i am trying to avoid it just looking like gold paint
  2. I was going for aged you think too pitted? wedgwood black basalt busts were pretty shiny see here - trying to replicate it https://www.potomackcompany.com/auction-lot/wedgwood-black-basalt-bust-of-william-shakespeare_DE34BC7943
  3. So please give me your honest opinion of the finish on these three. I am trying to replicate Wedgwood Black Basalt, Parian Ware, and Antique Bronze Parian Ware is a type of biscuit porcelain imitating marble. It was developed around 1845 by the Staffordshire pottery manufacturer Mintons, and named after Paros, the Greek island renowned for its fine-textured, white Parian marble, used since antiquity for sculpture. Parian was essentially designed to imitate carved marble, with the great advantage that it could be prepared in a liquid form and cast in a mould, enabling mass production. Creamy white with a matte finish Wedgwood Black Basalt is a hard, dense, fine-grained stoneware, which Wedgwood used for portrait medallions, seals, vases and urns, busts, tea ware, and other items. Josiah Wedgwood perfected this fine-grained stoneware in 1768, creating its dark color by adding manganese and carr, a slurry rich-with-iron oxide obtained from coal mines, to the clay body. The busts and figures were made to emulate old bronze statues. Black Basalt has been produced continuously since its introduction in 1768. Deep coal black with a satin to semi-gloss finish Statuary Bronze has been used for thousands of years as a casting medium and finish for fine statuary. Bronze was the material of choice for statuary during the Greek age, many of the Greek statues are only known to us as Roman marble copies of Greek Bronze originals. Antique bronze with a satin to semi-gloss finish
  4. Still working on the finishes for the new ones but how is this for showcasing the work? This is my sterling silver Marc Antony hard to believe it is 1 1/2” tall
  5. So I added the backrest - sort of messed up the final bit but it is done except for a little cleanup
  6. Wasn't there a type of Biedermeier furniture that used layers of steam bent veneer glued together to form chair backs and the like? I seem to have it in the dim recess of my brain. I am thinking Austrian or German
  7. No just room temp. The key was the long soak and thinness of the veneer. After three or four days the wood becomes very pliable i have seen it with balsa wood where you soak for a few days or a week and it can be pressed into a mold for model airplane fuselages
  8. soaked it for three days submerged in water - wrapped it around a 1/4" dowel with cloth tape until it dried - removed the tape then super glued one side to the dowel - added more glue and wrapped and pressed it around - and it didn't split at all - now to oil - sand - lacquer - and cut to length (this is oversize)
  9. This is the look I am going for. This is the "Bust of Peace" by Canova part of his "Ideal Heads" series. Would like to do them all as miniatures once I get the format down
  10. Luck will be needed especially veneering a 1/4” dowel
  11. Yes their temples also as did the Greeks i say marble but what I really want is more like “Parian Ware” that would be in a Victorian home in the mid to late 1800’s
  12. Looking at this it is too glossy, the gloss is too thick (it is on and not in the finish), the print lines slightly show, but also it is too white. I was thinking of marble as white but looking at the statues and busts from the time period they are lightly tinted. Was reading a book on Canovaand his time period and they actually stained their work with tobaco, coffee, and other materials to give it a aged look. I have some ideas for correcting these
  13. So for the backrest I veneered a piece of 1/16 cherry with madrone Burl to cut the two sides from. I was struggling how to do the rounded top so I am trying to veneer a 1/4” dowel (have the veneer soaking now will soak a few days) then I had two bronze medallions made for the ends. So I will cut the two sides to match the Canova statue except will have cutouts where the dowel will rest at the top. Then I will make a filler and cover it with goatskin leather. The two sides will fit over the base cushion and fasten to the side rails on top of the bronze panels not sure if that makes sense but will post a photo when done
  14. tried that also - this is 3D printed ceramic powder - still needs some work on the finish
  15. Still working on a good version of "marble" busts and statues. This is close still not 100% but getting there. 1 1/2" tall am doing them in 3/4" (desk or bookcase) and 1 1/2" (table). Once I get it down I might try making enough for sale also. Thoughts? They are a resin ceramic material. What would you expect to pay?
  16. Thank you - you are very kind. I look at it and all I see are the flaws so far all this really is is a box sitting on cast feet and a leather cushion. The back rest will be the tricky part but I have some ideas
  17. I am thinking to edge the cushion with gold trim
  18. I forgot how much fun this was Satinwood with ebony and holly stringing, goat skin upholstery, bronze fittings. On to the backrest and some trim around the cushion
  19. I thought about sterling. I like silver but I thought bronze would be more historically accurate
  20. Me too. We won’t discuss cost as eight lost wax cast bronze pieces aren’t cheap, but this one is a bit special to me as it is a gift for someone
  21. The cast bronze part arrived remember the feet are 3/4" tall and the panels 3/8"
  22. It does. I like the combination but need to work with it a little.
  23. As a test piece it came out ok It was a new lacquer seems a little heavy
  24. Thomas McTighe Esq. the publisher
  25. Cleaning up my laptop I founf this old tutorial