jaxenro

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by jaxenro

1. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If you want this when it is done let me know I will mail it to you (USA only unless you want to pay for shipping) If you want the bedroom set let me know we can work something out which pieces
  2. Going to pick up a can of spray gloss lacquer tomorrow to finish this off but I do admit sitting on my desk it is growing on me. I didn’t intend it but the black and burl gives it an almost Art Deco vibe anyway it is a throwaway test for someone who doesn’t want it so it will be up for grabs if anyone has a corner to tuck it into just let me know I still might do the bedroom. I bought all the burl and the project would be really fun. Be another give away
  3. I haven’t wallpapered a dollhouse but I have done quite a few full size rooms some hints i learned put a coat of wallpaper paste on the wall and let it dry then add your wet coat for the final papering Dip the paper in water before using. Don’t soak it to where it falls apart but decently wet brush if from the center out to get out wrinkles and bubbles test this on a black piece of wallboard first
  4. A little touch up to the black - a little sanding - drill the holes for the knobs - and on to clear - I think the base sets the top off look just like the kit photo
  5. still need to make the base trim but this gives an idea of how the burl/ebonized wood looks will be better with the lacquer needs some finish sanding as well
  6. The ink finally arrived wow. Soaks in to basswood better than stain and dead black perfect for ebonizing wood. Can’t wait to see it under lacquer will post some pics as I get the pieces done
  7. No metallic wash just a feeble attempt to show Burl in a cheap windows paint program the corner panels and feet are lost wax cast bronze
  8. So of course I dont want to just duplicate but adapt. I mocked up what I am trying to do in paint. Mahogany and burl wood, leather upholstery, and bronze panels and feet. I crossed the original design with the Pauline Bonaparte (Napoleon's youngest sister) statue by Canova To get this design
  9. Miniature knives are usually 1:3 scale I collect them also
  10. BTW the one in the middle has a Fordite handle which if you have never heard of it is one of the most interestng materials I have seen. It is used for pens, knives, jewelry, all sorts of things. Back in the 1940's through 1990's (I think) cars in Detroit were sprayed in enamel and acrylic lacquer. They went into th spray booth, were painted and baked, and pushed out. Over time layer after layer of different colors built up on the rails and other areas in the booth and needed to be cut off. The pieces composed of multiple layers of baked enamel and acrylic lacquer were then collected, cut, and polished to form beautiful and unique pendants, rings, and other small objects. From the jewel like tones of the 1950's enamels to the metalic shine of the later 1960's there is a wealth of different materials. Even black and white in multiple layers and it all forms naturally and cut on a bias across the layers causes it all to show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite
  11. So I am patiently (ya right) waiting for my India Ink to show up in the mail so I can pre stain some of the parts and begin veneering. I bought it off eBay but the seller used one of those third party USPS reshippers and they just sit on it for a week or more. So frustrating. The burl arrived and it is beautiful the drawers are glued together but nothing can move until the ink arrives
  12. Thanks for the kind words they are fun to make but are just a lot of work and as usual I got side tracked into other projects Many years ago I used to collect small dirk or daggers made in Sheffield England from the 1840's to the early 1900's. So for some unknown reason I decided to design a line of similar knife kits (as letter openers) and have them made and sell them to people that mostly turn pens and other small lathe turned items. In a year I have gone from the orignal letter opener kit to pizza cutters, pens, displays, and all sorts of other kits, but it is taking a lot of my fun time away. That's why I am dipping my toes back in the miniature furniture making hobby to do something that doesn't turn into a business. Although I do admit designing something on paper, having it reproduced as a kit, and then seeing what others do with it is a thrill I know this is shamelessly off topic but these are a few of my letter opener designs with handles by various cusomers
  13. I was working on a series at one time "History of Art" there is sort of a write up of how I did mine here
  14. Mostly for military officers. “Travel” meant sail or later steamship to India, China, or ??? Then months at a posting maybe even years. An officer needs to keep up appearances. There would be pine lids over the case that were often veneered on the inside and had legs to be used as small tables. i have seen dining tables, chairs, beds, office furniture, folding bookcases, all sorts of things
  15. I have always been fascinated by old campaign furniture to the point of having some 1:12 hardware 3D printed but this piece is just magnificent some day I need to replicate it between about 2:40 and 4:00 he unfolds it and it is worth the watch
  16. Starting this one based on a Duncan Phyfe original in American Empire or late greek Revival style
  17. I needed something to test the finish on first so I grabbed one of these. I almost forgot how good/bad these kits are. The drawer sides/back/bottom are hopelessly out of scale and the milling on the top when done cross grain (the sides) is rough and pitted, but all the parts are there and the proportions are right. I plan to veneer the top, sides, and drawer fronts, and stain the balance black then finish with multiple coats of gloss lacquer. I will sand the drawer fronts flat for veneering so they sit flush in the case and replace the pulls with brass knobs, but leave the molding intact on the top and bottom. Probably. Possibly. (I keep toying with a ebonized pedestal base instead) I will leave the drawer construction alone it is overly thick but doesn't show and this is really just a finish test case. But the back piece of ply has to go I know it doesn't show but it is at least a scale 1 1/2" thick.
  18. ok slight change in plans she has enough bedroom furniture so i will use the same concept and do a different room - not sure what yet living room or dining room
  19. I plan to do the black first yes. Then veneer. But I often glue the burl on slightly oversize and cut and sand back to the edge which will sand away some of the blacking. I think if I am careful and use good India Ink (which has shellac in it to prevent bleed through) I can really minimize it. I am at the hardest stage now waiting for everything I bought to come in so I can start work I am using this for ink
  20. Just a quick test to see how the black and burl will go together - going to need to watch for bleed over of the black onto the burl For the actual one I am getting some good India ink which is formulated not to bleed through this was just some black I had on hand
  21. One tie would do the whole set
  22. These are the kits I am proposing to use (although I reserve the right to alter them to my hearts content): HOM Bed HOM Chairs - 2 HOM Corner Chair HOM Stool HOM Chest HOM Chest on Chest HOM Desk HOM Desk Cabinet Top HOM Dry Sink HOM Night Stand - 2 HOM Round Table
  23. So I haven't been doing much lately dollhouse related as I have just so many other things going on but I recently reconnected with a friend and found out that she collects dollhouse miniatures in 1:12 and is doing a Victorian house. I had been kicking this idea around in my head for a while, not sure what to do with it, and offered to do the bedroom set for her. My thinking is I will do a sort of "colonial revival" set but bring it into the 1880's by ebonizing (or Japanning) the frames and covering select parts with madrone burl veneer and round brass door pulls. I think the black cases with madrone burl veneer and a glossy lacquer finish will look really striking. I have a few pictures by Evelyn De Morgan to round out the exotic look and would set them in matching frames to coordinate it all. I usually prefer a hand rubbed oil finish but I think glossy lacquer is a key on "Japanned" wood. Also I think the madrone burl is light enough to offer a good contrast. I haven't decided on the fabric yet although leather might be an interesting option and add another touch of the unique. Leather is a bold choice for a bedroom but offset by the burl I think it might be distinctive and play off the ebonized frames. It is really only one stool and three chair seats. Thoughts? Anyone want to follow along as I work it through? Offer advice? Victorians loved to clutter things up so I might add in two burl pedestals with ebonized spacers and ??? on top. Some sulptures to compliment the paintings would be good maybe in bronze. And a good "oriental" carpet to add to the theme. The burl: Madrone Burl Closeup Madrone Burl All Drawer Pulls: And the paintings: De Morgan The Guilded Cage De Morgan The Love Potion De Morgan Helen of Troy De Morgan Cassandra