jaxenro

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by jaxenro

1. Or cleopatra. The birdseye and ebony banding comes that way from here he has a lot of them and will custom make them as well https://www.inlaybanding.com
  2. made this little one to test a new sprayed shellac finish over the oil (not applied yet) birdseye maple and ebony banding but look at the two sides of the same wood (these are solid not veneer) one with burl and the other tiger stripe just turning the pedestal 90 degrees changes the look (I need some more busts poor Antony is getting a workout)
  3. it is isn't it I have a bag of this wood all sorts of fun things to do
  4. One of my usual rough sketches but this is what I am working towards. The round panel inset near the top is a sterling silver copy of "Autumn" by Bertel Thorvaldsen and the globe at the top is a shell pearl (a "pearl" cut from natural shell) I am making a matched pair. Still some details to work out and materials I am waiting on delivery but it is progressing
  5. I think another side is better but it is early here not fully awake
  6. Something I am working on I usually don't apply oil until I am ready for the final finish but I need to drill some parts and I am hoping a few coats of oil will help keep the wood from chipping Pyinma burl it is such a beautiful wood. Loses a little focus near the bottom of the pic in person the grain is just as sharp top to bottom. One of the other sides has a beautiful tiger stripe pattern. I love working with wood like this you put a little oil on it and the grain just pops out.
  7. am working up a set with inlayed Wedgwood panels (from earrings) and inlayed silver medallions (from Thorvaldsen and my own) using some Pyinma burl which looks a little like this
  8. Just some walnut burl and scraps to practice
  9. I was going for a vase shape looks like a bowling pin
  10. before and after that first coat of oil all I was really doing was testing the ability to wrap a 3/4" dowel with veneer if I soaked it long enough and it worked like a charm
  11. so under all that yarn is actually some of that walnut veneer wrapped around a 3/4" round dowel. Soaked overnight in ammonia it becomes really pliable ammonia works better than plain water for softening wood yes am making a pair of cylindrical pedestals with walnut burl base and something else I have yet to decide
  12. Bare Metal Foil the model airplane builders use it to replicate aluminum airplanes. Self adhesive super thin comes in shiny or a brushed aluminum shade https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052774-tips-to-apply-aluminum-foil-and-rivets-to-an-airplane/
  13. Just a quick pair I made yesterday with barely any oil on them yet. Madrone burl over poplar again. The design is simplified from the earlier ones. I am looking at different inlay bandings to use if you look at the ones available just here https://www.inlaybanding.com/ there are a multitude of options Also some different woods
  14. remember doors are mostly standard sizes so if you roughly scale the door in the picture you can scale the rest of the house you icture also has bicycle wheels, street signs, all sorts of things you can scale from including the person. Just add in a factor for perspective and you should be close enough other than that is is a simple box with applied details. make one from cardboard and see how it looks
  15. I have 18 framed and another 8 prepped and ready to frame and it will be done I should have finished months ago but I got sidetracked and it is just sitting there
  16. Be careful painting over paint as some aren’t compatible. Lacquer and enamel are notorious for ripples and wrinkling as the solvent in one reacts to the other lacquer over acrylic should be ok just use light coats.
  17. Beats a cluttered desk as a backdrop i think the grey is neutral enough also not to distract folded flat - open - in action
  18. quick shot this morning I used dollhouse wallpaper and paper marble glued to foam board as a fold flat backdrop for photos. With proper lighting I think it will work wellthe back piece folds in half for storage and to provide a corner the bottom piece is a separate piece
  19. Not exactly what I planned and I rushed a few areas I should have taken more time on but they were a fun little build. Here they are covoered in the first really heavy coat of oil in about 12 hours it will have all soaked in and completely disappeared
  20. Trimmed and sanded on the left top still raw on the right but the bases a covered in walnut
  21. For the base I cut two 3/8" thick slices of 3/4" poplar square dowel. After squaring them up I will veneer the sides and top with walnut
  22. The two main pillars are done just need a little sanding tomorrow I will start the bases (reversing the cutouts would be amazing and I had thought of that. If I had one of those computer guided cutting machines I imagine I could veneer the base with the madrone and cut something like a neoclassical vase shape out of the center of the walnut so the madrone would show through the cutout)
  23. Thank you but it isn't anything you couldn't do yourself and probably better than me. You just need to break it down into components and do each component before assembling the whole
  24. One side done seven to go. Work like this isn't difficult just tedious. I couldn't resist dding a drop of oil to see what the finished product will look like, staying away from any areas still to receive glue. The burl walnut turns almost black under the oil and gives a nice contrast
  25. Making the main appliques I simply cut a rectangle to the corect length then sliced off pieces the correct width. I decided to go with large side panels as opposed to three individual strips like the sketch in order to showcase the beauty of the madrone burl better. Then just a little shaping with the sandpaper to smooth and round the corners and they are ready to glue