jaxenro

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by jaxenro

1. It's hard to get the camera to focus in on the overall picture, it seems the blue field just doesn't let it grab focus, so I did a couple close ups as well. Next one I will add some depth to the box this one is essentially flat. Need to get a little more paint in the deep groves
  2. “The paintings are spaced much closer together than in the mockup. I'd put no more than 1/8th of an inchbetween most of them to get that jam-packed feeling” Agreed on this in the second example the frames are almost touching. I think I will skip the doors also. “Cream ivory, Joel. You already have all those heavy gold frames on the pictures.” and I like the cream on blue. I was originally thinking Wedgwood colors when I looked for a pale blue this one came out slightly darker. Darker than the paint looks wet I think maybe because I painted over a dark base
  3. Either way all I am modeling is a slice of a larger wall. My thinking with the doors was to show scale but they take up so much space I am really thinking of leaving them off. now I am just split between gold woodwork or cream ivory color
  4. Probably but now that I am looking at I am not sure do I use the doors, which take up a lot of room, or just use the wainscotting and the matching strip at the top, buth painted ivory? Or gold? The doors take up a lot of room. And would you go with ivory or gold paint? I am leaning towards leaving the doors off and saving them for when I have a larger frame as I know I will do nother one of these wainscotting (not trimmed to fit yet) door
  5. Just a quick shot to show how the "paintings" will look in place gives an idea of the scale I am trying to find a Jamestown door, or at least the top of one, to enhance the double doors I bought, without paying an arm and a leg for just the top piece so if you see a cheap one steer it my way
  6. anyone have the top part of this door so I can add it to mine?
  7. Wainscotting and door although I might try to hop up the door frame with some additional molding
  8. Been playing with white metal 1/43 car kits I made the backdrop from a 1/48 scale bank I cut up and repainted still need to even out the paint some and finish the windows the pavement is actually the back wall cut apart and laid flat
  9. Albert Joseph Moore must have been early
  10. I am planning this as the centerpiece over the double doors - Flaming June by Leighton - a heavy gold frame to set it off against the ivory and blue background - when the doors are added the scale will show better
  11. I have started my artist Salon circa 1890 (although I am a little slack on the time frame). I will be featuring the works of three Victorian Classicist Painters John William Godward Albert Joseph Smith Frederic Leighton, 1st Baron Leighton This will basically be a picture frame of framed pictures. I am using the following paintings for reference Salon du Louvre 1787 Somerset House 1800 I started with an empty frame from goodwill and added the back wall painted in a pale blue I have crown molding, wainscotting, and a set of double doors on order the plan is to paint them ivory. I normally don't paint a surface I am going to glue to but in this case I think it will be ok. I have also started treating prints to look like oil paintings and cutting out frames, I have 26 pictures selected but might need more. 26 is a lot of frames to cut
  12. Not being a 3D expert but i think you could design each panel and there is something out there to help make a 3D print lithophane model from it. Then it would jut be to curve it, print each panel, maybe mold and cast in a suitable material, and assemble all panels into a dome Now if i really had money to burn i would make it full size. Could you imagine being inside a domes room with the sun shining and the gods appearing from the some, or outside with the inside lights on it at night and it glowing
  13. I had envisioned the dome as a lithophane with 12 panels for the 12 Olympian gods. Imagine lit from within how it would look at night, or inside with the sun shining on it the body of the building is round a modified Parthenon style was thinking white plaster on blue stucco like a Wedgwood jar. It is a garden “folly” or pavilion
  14. I have drawn hundreds of houses, floor plans, furniture, etc. Some I keep, some are detailed some mere sketches. Most won't get built but I have them in stacks here and there and some are kicking around
  15. Gold knobs would go good with the blue but I might swap in the burgundy also at the moment it’s in the glass case on a shelf not sure what I will do with it i think if I was going to make one for sale it would be more traditional - taller headboard shorter footboard even height sides - having done this one now I could do one right
  16. I learned quite a bit if I ever do another one it would be much better. but I will probably only do that if someone commissioned it
  17. Agreed I like the red with the wood but I think the blue with the green agate balls might be better. Blue and green seems to harmonize better than red and green but then again I am color blind
  18. Tried a beeswax/oil finish on top need to buff it off it is a little sticky Holly sent me some nice burgundy velvet then I found about two yards of royal blue cotton velvet I had, am undecided which I will use I love the grain and color though of the wood
  19. I was thinking of a good auto wax but now looking at Renaissance wax
  20. So I waxed the one I have but all I have on hand is a beeswax based wax. It really smooths up the plaster gives it a completely different and marble look but the beeswax added a slight yellow tint. What is a good, easy to get, clear paste wax or liquid wax I could use? One that would shine up but not yellow?
  21. Two things are supposed to help one is the vibrating table and the other mixing some "jet dry" rinse aid with water and lightly spraying the mold. It helps the air bubbles to release Short of that will need to go to a vacuum machine
  22. ok it looks really rough but for a first effort I am happy. I ordered a vibrating table which should help eliminate the air bubbles and need to work on my mold making and cast technique but it is a learning process