• Dollhouse Building Experience Two
  • Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Deborah
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

2172 profile views
  1. I've built it.  I talked a little bit about it in my response to your introductory post.  I have pictures of it in my albums, and I did/do love it. I think you should go with whatever appeals to you most.  If you don't, you will be itching to work on it, and your heart won't really be in the project you are working on (and it may show).  My Fairfield isn't truly finished yet, because the Merrimack was calling to me so strongly.  (Plus, I just don't think I am a Victorian girl.)  I still go back and work on it a bit when the spirit moves me, but it is truly a joy to work on a house that you love and feel drawn to.
  2. Stippling test

Ooh, another nice feature!  Very impressive.  It almost looks quilted.
  3. Ceiling tile test

Gorgeous!
  4. New To Dollhouse Building

Hi, Drea!  I'll bet the Fairfield you're talking about is Ashley's (Wormwoodz).  That is an amazingly beautiful build! The Fairfield is a little complex.  If you'd like to do a half scale build as your first build, I don't think you can go wrong with an RGT.  I built their half-scale bungalow (on your list, I see) as my first build, and I'm glad that I did. It went together simply and cleanly, the instructions were excellent, the siding was already milled in, and it's a really sweet house!  I really love that house, and not just because it was my first.   For food, checking Etsy is a good idea.  If you see someone who does food in 1:12 that you like, don't be afraid to ask if they'll do something for you in half scale.  Autumn Leaf Studio did a very nice half scale macaroni and cheese as a custom order for me (she also did some martini glasses with tiny olives that my brother picked up for me at a miniature show).  All I had to provide was the casserole dish.  A Trifle Small in the UK has a nice selection of dishes, plates and other kitchenware if you need them.  For food items, you can also try Scale Designs and Mountain Miniatures.  I tried to link to just the half scale food items, but if you're seeing 1:12 as well, scroll down on the left-hand side and there is a filter for 1:24. Good luck!  I'm excited to see what you build, and I'm always happy to have another half-scale person on the forum.  
  5. MerrimackChristmasTree.jpg

From the early 60's (and into the 70's), my grandparents had a silver tree that they decorated only with lights (eventually only clear lights) and rose pink metallic balls.  (Their whole living room was done in pale pink and dark green.)  It was on a stand that revolved.  If I could figure out how to get mine to revolve, I would.    Debora -- Your neighbor's tree sounds really cool.
  6. Moroccan couch Test

Wow!  That is fantastic!  Such amazing detail.  Your couch is going to be stunning.  And if you ever decide you need a tin ceiling in a build, . . . .
  7. IMG-6373.jpg

This is just lovely!   I agree that it looks as though someone lives here.  In fact, if the picture were cropped a little more, I could easily imagine someone mistaking it for a real kitchen, and it showing up in Better Homes & Gardens!
  8. GlitterHouses.jpg

From the album Half Scale Merrimack

You may remember that I got some little houses from Jane Harrop at Good Sam.  One of them became a sort of gingerbread house living in the Fairfield, and three of them became a little glitter-house village, thanks to some micro glitter I picked up at the Dollar Store.  The little trees are actually fingernail stickers.
  9. ChristmasTreeSkirt.jpg

I used fingernail stickers on the tree skirt as well.  I was trying to go for the look of one of those felt and sequin tree skirts that were common in the 50’s.
  10. ChristmasCake.jpg

Here is a little Christmas cake I got from Life of Riley on Etsy.  She is in the UK, but her items are just exquisite and very reasonably priced.  I’m sorry; after I got my cake, I went back and snapped up most of her half scale items, but she still has some 1:12 items for sale. 
  11. MerrimackChristmasTree.jpg

Margot and Jim are, of course, getting ready for the holidays. No aluminum Christmas trees in half scale, so I made one from silver pipe cleaners.  I kept it fairly slim, as it will ultimately be placed in an area where there isn’t quite as much room.  I added pastel pearlescent beads as ornaments, and my best attempt at a mid-century tree topper.  The present, which probably seems a bit over-sized, was a thank you gift from Earth & Tree, so I figured I needed to include it in my Christmas set-up.  As mentioned, the tree will eventually move when I add another chair to the living room, but this location makes it easy to photograph.
  12. MerrimackFrontStepsandRailing.jpg

I also made the steps and railing for the front door.   The steps are light gray, to look like cement.  The mailbox was from last year’s swap on the Half Scale group, although I did paint it black and add the numbers (and the Miniature Gazette).
  13. MerrimackShingles2.jpg

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I shingled the roof of the half-scale Merrimack.  Now my imaginary homeowners are ready for the winter!  This was a much quicker process than the Fairfield.  The Fairfield roof took three weekends.  I did the Merrimack in one (longish) day.  I did not stain the shingles, except with a natural stain, just as I did with the cedar siding.  I liked the color as is.
  14. MerrimackShingles1.jpg

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I shingled the roof of the half-scale Merrimack.  Now my imaginary homeowners are ready for the winter!  This was a much quicker process than the Fairfield.  The Fairfield roof took three weekends.  I did the Merrimack in one (longish) day.  I did not stain the shingles, except with a natural stain, just as I did with the cedar siding.  I liked the color as is.
  15. Meet my special family

Anyone who welcomes an animal (purebred or rescue) into a loving home is OK in my book!