GrammieCal

Gold Member
  • Last visited

0 Neutral

About GrammieCal

Profile Information

• Interests
    Computer graphics, ceramics, miniatures, gardening, family and dogs.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Three
  • Real Name
    Carol
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,120 profile views
  1. Newsletter comes to old email address; forum-related email comes to the correct address, as yours just did. I don't receive much forum-related email because I have so little time to be active in the forum. Have tweezed AOL out of my system (can I get an AMEN!). I like the newletter and want to continue to receive it, so hopefully there's a solution to the two email address glitch. Many thanks for your help. Carol
  2. The email address shown in my forum page is the correct address - yet all my Greenleaf email comes to the old AOL address. I'm in the process of tweezing AOL out of my hard drive now. If necessary I'll just re-subscribe to the Greenleaf emails. Thanks!
  3. How do I get email sent to the email address shown on my info page? I changed carriers a couple of years ago but Greenleaf email is still sent to AOL. I am going to dump AOL ASAP - it has become the spam catcher and it's gotta go! Many thanks for useful advice - Carol
  4. Our last cats were two wonderful old Siamese gentlemen who belonged to our children. However...once they were gone the bird and lizard populations in our back yard quadrupled. I really enjoy the warblers, black phoebes, hummingbirds, mocking birds, etc. No more cats for us! Several of our children have cats and we can enjoy theirs for free. We are totally owned by dogs, and love the big breeds, especially the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog of which we have had two since 1998. We still have Penny, pushing 10 yrs; lost Banner two years ago to cancer. Banner used to go to DH's chiropractic office every day, and always knew which of his patients needed him to sit by them. His ability to sense peoples' need for his special attention was uncanny. Penny's hobby in her youth was sheepherding; today she's happy to sit out in front and watch her "farm." The closest Banner and Penny ever got to dollhouses was curling up under my worktable. The old Siamese gents went to the bridge before I resumed the miniature hobby, but I would have closed the door on them if they'd been around because I had ample evidence of their destructive tendencies. They were extremely fond of our home office and made all sorts of messes. One of them loved to sleep on top of printers and any warm electronic equipment, and when he wasn't asleep loved to knock all my pens on the floor, tangle paperclips and try to chase the cursor across the computer monitor; the other's hobby was the retrieval and shredding of all the wastebasket paper. They both loved wrestling with cords. I can imagine the fun these two miscreants would have had in my workroom. Dogs are great company wherever they are - without the total destruction and mess! Love cats but they just can't leave anything alone.
  5. Everything I've used Rik's wood glue/super glue recipe to rejoin is permanently fixed. The most amazing repair was reattaching the heads of two Lladro nativity figures to their bodies, sheared off many years ago by two cats on a chasing spree - right through the nativity. Wood, ceramic, concrete - whatever the material - it works. I'm rehabbing a Costco display Bellingham whose walls were crooked - the glue is great for repositioning something like a wall that has to stay put quickly. And of course it's terrific for everyday dollhouse assembly.
  6. I learned a great gluing trick from Rik Pierce at his Ratty's House class last July at Shellie's Miniature Mania: Run a bead of Titebond II (or your favorite wood glue) along one wood piece, then dot super glue along the bead at about 1/8" intervals. Join the pieces and clamp, and within minutes they'll be strongly bonded. I've even used this with broken ceramic pieces - usually very tricky to re-glue - and it works every time. You can't apply super glue to foam core as in Gator Board, but on wood to wood joins Rik's recipe is terrific. Yay Rik!!
  7. I have a Rutherford that I'm pretty sure I will never build because it's close to the end of a long line of kits. I'll be happy to sell it to you reasonably, if you don't mind paying shipping from California. Carol
  8. My internist is another one of those docs who practice with the prescription pad. My LDL is a little high and he says he's going to put me on statin drugs come hell or high water. I say not until I give red yeast rice and omega-3's a good (long) try. Red yeast rice is the natural source of cholesterol lowering drugs such as Lipitor. Research shows that a red yeast rice and fish oil regimen is just as effective as statin drugs, with the added benefit of weight loss (which people on statin drugs didn't experience), and probably with the additional added benefit of no nasty side effects. Googling red yeast rice brings up a lot of info. So we'll see what happens when I have another blood test. I like this doc but I want someone who's willing and able to look at the alternative side when appropriate. I've missed everyone's conversations - I've been busy with DH's office issues and the days are gone in a blink. Lordy, I love that man but sometimes I long for the day when he retires! Best wishes to all for a wonderful Thanksgiving! Carol
  9. Most of the dollhouses and kits I've collected have come from Craigslist; the Glencroft rehab I'm working on now came from a St Vincent de Paul store. My Craigslist buys have all been in the $20-50 range, and without exception they've been houses or kits that someone bought with good intentions. The dream of building a beautiful dollhouse is long gone, and they need the space for something else. So they price the house/kit for a fast sell, and Craigslist is the perfect vehicle for that. There are the few people who don't seem to know that their partially completed dog of a house isn't worth $500, but for the most part people get it and their houses move very quickly. Carol
  10. Now she says her father in law built and shipped it from England, it cost a fortune to ship, the kits is priced in the hundreds, blah, blah, blah = the house is therefore worth big bucks. It looks like it's falling apart, and I really don't think it's a Thornhill - it resembles one, and it may ultimately be a teardown. I can't complain, I've done so well on Craigslist; you have to be careful there like anywhere else. Carol
  11. Thanks, everyone! The owner has had multiple inquiries and is now soliciting offers - after she listed it for free. I thought Thornhill but it has fewer windows, as you say, Lisa, and it's entirely a back-opening house. It also looks like it's been around the block and then some. I gave her my best pitch - now we'll see what happens. I appreciate all the input! Carol
  12. Does anyone know which house this is? It turned up free on Craigslist not too far from my home. Looks like a nice house. Appreciate any ID help - thanks! Carol
  13. Here's an idea that worked for us - years ago, after all my kids were in school, I decided to go back to college as I'd only completed two years. So off I went to California College of Arts and Crafts, thinking what a snap it would be for a craftsy person like me. NOT! I'd come staggering in every afternoon looking like someone had rolled me in oil paint and plaster, eyes unfocused, energy drained. My DH gave me his full support in this crazy endeavor, and he came up with THE PLAN: two adults and four children split up all the kitchen jobs and everyone would now do their own laundry. So everyone took a one week shift doing the following jobs: menu, shopping (with parent) and cooking dinner take out the garbage set and clear the table (the most popular job!) load the dishwasher/do dishes wipe down counters and stove sweep the floor When THE PLAN was announced, there was a lot of rolling of eyes and gnashing of teeth, but it worked because everyone did something. Our kids have thanked us many times for teaching them these basics. We might have gone about it in a slightly unorthodox way, but at the end of the day it worked very well because we were all doing it together with a positive attitude - and our kids all learned how to cook, something they all do well today. My degree should have my husband's and childrens' names on it, because their support was absolutely critical and meant the world to me! Of course, you have only four people, not six, but some of the kitchen jobs are so easy that they can be combined. Good luck!! Carol
  14. Soft paintbrush to move dust/debris from corners, + dustbuster to pick it up, with crevice tool attached to avoid picking up small items and pieces. I think the Dustbuster should be on the permanent list of must-haves for dollhouse builders. It's rechargable, it can be kept out of the way and it doesn't take up much space. Just stay away from the wimpy little 7 volt models - totally useless! Carol
  15. It says buyer pays all shipping - it doesn't look like it's that big/heavy. Even with reasonable shipping it'd be a steal! Carol