vbharrington

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by vbharrington

1. vbharrington

DSCF0069.JPG

This lodge is beautiful, I'm especially impressed by the carved doors. Was this house a kit or a scratch build? Words fail me, I totally love everything about it.
  2. I adore all of my items. I have plans for everything already! I didn't put my name and location on mine, so once everyone gets theirs, I will tell everyone which was mine. Yes, thank you Deana for hosting the swap.
  3. Does anyone else attach floor covering, wallpaper, etc to poster or illustration board before installing it in the house? I've done it with my flooring, but this is the first time I've tried the walls and ceilings. I'm trying to decide what is best to attach the walls and ceiling papers with. I've thought about double sided tape, or possibly rubber cement. Any thoughts?
  4. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but I never know what day is going to "be Christmas!" I can't wait. I hope everyone is pleased with my swap.
  5. Thank you Kathi. Mine is the 500, but the porch has been customized, and a "gazebo" area added to the left front, but these directions may help with the "re assembly" I'm going to have to do.
  6. I collect pigs, Beatle memorabilia (I prefer original), different (movie) versions of "A Christmas Carol" (my favorite is The Muppets Christmas Carol" followed by a western version starring Jack Palance) and Tarot cards. I don't "read" tarot cards, and some members of my Southern Baptist church would be appalled that I would own any, but I love the artwork.
  7. I thought the same thing Kathi, and I did try it the other way, but there is a notch cut out where the wall meets with the ceiling trim. My husband asked if perhaps the wood could have gotten damp and warped, but I don't think that is it. I am working on it in our garage, but I've never had problems with anything else warping out there. I measured, and the wall appears to be about 3/16 too tall. I may just try to sand it down to the right height.
  8. I personally like the "Snow (Titanium) White" from Americana, but I plan on using "Buttermilk" for the trim on the DC Farmhouse.
  9. I have the DC farmhouse stripped of the wallpaper and carpet. I've tried to put the interior walls back in place, and now the lower level divider is "too tall" When I put it in place, the entire left side of the house raises off the foundation (because that came unglued as well) What has happened? Could it be that it was like that to begin with, and over the years the glue gave way? I've never seen anything like this before.
  10. I am not sure how to PM MIke, since my search says there is no members by that name (MikeUK) but in case you do see this Mike, I want to let you know that I think your work is awesome, and you are awesome yourself. There has been many times that you have replied to a comment I've made and offered advice or even just encouragement, and I really appreciate it. I will be praying for your recovery and for you to be back doing what you love very soon. Best wishes and I hope you get well very soon!!!
  11. The DC farmhouse I'm stripping has what appears to be cherry flooring on the bottom floor only. I've been debating whether to pull it up or not. I'm not crazy about the dark color, but it is in good condition, so I may leave it. I'll worry about the rest of the house first I guess.
  12. Funny, my husband only has one hobby, and that is bass fishing. A year ago when decided I wanted a Sphynx cat he asked how much such a cat would cost. I responded by asking how much he spent on fishing in one month, (he fishes 3 weekends a month) - and he countered by asking when we were to pick up my new cat. I have found that dollhouses work much the same way, only now I am trying to negotiate either a building of my own, or space in his workshop/man cave/ boat garage to set up the houses I have. BTW: Congrats on finding your dream house!!
  13. I would NOT use glue to attach the carpet directly to the floor, I am having a nightmare removing some glue/carpet from a house I am remodeling. I like to make poster board templates of my rooms and glue and/or tape the floor on the template, then fasten that into the house. I made a "hard wood" floor from skinny sticks for my vintage trailer and glued the sticks to the poster board, and it fits perfectly in the trailer without being fastened down at all. I also do wall paper the same way, and fasten it with double sided tape. Adding floor and ceiling moldings help to keep it in place also. As for material to use for carpeting, I do not like carpet (I don't have it in my RL house) so I rarely use it. The carpet I am stripping from the remodel house looks and feels like velvet. I did see areas where the rubber cement in one room and hot glue in another appeared to bleed through the carpet, so you may want to go with double sided tape.
  14. What is it with these Farmhouses! I felt well enough to strip some more wallpaper yesterday and apparently that wallpaper was all that was holding the farmhouse together! Hot glue is everywhere and I can't get it off, even with a heat gun, acetone, sanding, I've tried it all. I'm not even 100% sure it is hot glue, but it is a mess. It is amazing at what people can do to a CL ad to make things look better than they are.
  15. I'm not sure if this is the case in other parts of the country, but metal roofing is very big here in South Carolina. I've been thinking about my farmhouse, and I may want to try to put a metal roof on it. Has anyone ever put a metal roof on a dollhouse? If so, what did you use? We have some leftover metal from our own roof (our log house has a green metal roof) but I don't think I would be able to use it. Any ideas?
  16. vbharrington

Dura Craft Farmhouse

I found this DuraCraft Farmhouse on Craig's List for a song. I found out why as I tried to unload it and it fell apart. I plan to "rebuild" the house and remodel it. I think it has a lot of potential, I am waiting for it to start talking to me.
  17. From the album: Dura Craft Farmhouse

Front of the Farmhouse. At a glance it looks sturdy, don't be fooled.
  18. I went yesterday and picked up a DuraCraft Farmhouse I found on CraigsList for $70. I thought I was getting a deal because the house looked great in the pictures and it also came with a house full of furniture, as well as some extra pieces. When I saw the house in person, I noticed a few minor repairs, but nothing major. All of the furniture was either hot glued to the floor or had some sort of sticky, waxy stuff on it. The furniture that was hot glued to the floor pulled up the "carpet" and "tile" when I pulled the furniture out. There were also stains on the wall paper where the wax had been used to hold things to the walls. There is tape wire already in place, but I'm not sure if it works, because there is no transformer or plug with it. Cosmetic stuff, but nothing that I wouldn't have been changing anything. Here's the problem.....When my dad and I tried to unload the house, the shell of the house lifted off of the foundation. Before we knew what happened, the roof and porch had also come off of the house. So, I now have a farmhouse that has come off of the foundation, stairs that have come off of the wall, and a porch and roof that has come off as well. It looks like wood glue residue on the walls, roof, etc. but it appears to be a thin line of glue, so that could be why it hasn't held up over the years. I think it could be fixable, but I'm not sure where to start. It also needs a HEAVY cleaning, and I'm not sure of the best way to go about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  19. I found a ton of picture mats on clearance for anywhere between .50 - 3.00 at Michaels. Most of them are wide enough to make just about anything out of. It was much less expensive than buying whole sheets of matboard. However, if you have any local frame shops near you (the chain stores near me won't do this) they may be willing to sell (or give) you some of their scrap matboard. I've gotten grocery bags of mat scraps for free, and they are almost always large enough to use for some activity.
  20. vbharrington

image.jpeg

I love this, and I am certain your grandson will have many years of enjoyment from it.
  21. I never thought about Dollar Tree online! I've always been envious of the people who have found dollhouse furniture at the dollar stores, because the only thing mini related I've ever managed to find at ours is the jars of nail art beads. I'm going to check it out now.
  22. I've used coffee stirrers (bought in bulk from Amazon) to make at plank floor for my vintage travel trailer.
  23. SueJ I either got that at Hobby Lobby or AC MOORE, I am pretty sure it was AC MOORE.
  24. I'm a lover, not a fighter.....but if it came to a little saw like this, then we'd have to rumble!