vbharrington

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by vbharrington

1. As soon as one of you guys builds one, I want to be first in line to buy :)
  2. vbharrington

Travel Trailer

My current plan is to model this after a 1958 23' Yellowstone travel trailer.
  3. From the album: Travel Trailer

This is the first "scratch" piece of furniture that I have ever built. It is a refrigerator, sink, and cabinets for my travel trailer. The doors/drawers don't open, but the drawer knobs and refrigerator handle are made from junk jewelry. The sink basin is a jelly container, and the faucets and spigot are from an odd earring. It is made from thin plywood.
  4. I don't have anything to trade, but would you be willing to sell any of it? I will need to check to see which pieces I need.
  5. I'm so frustrated! I have made these things so many times with no problem, now all of the sudden my glue is acting stupid, so I think I'm going to have to redo half of my sets Oh well, I have plenty of uses for the "not so perfect" ones.
  6. I am working on the travel trailer, and I am debating whether or not to actually build the wheel wells, because I don't like the idea of them sticking up into the actual living areas of the trailer. I have thought about not adding them, but then I'm not sure if the wheels will actually work or if I will have to modify the axles as well. Is anyone willing to share how they completed the travel trailer in regards to wheels/no wheels, wheel wells/no wheel wells, etc? Thanks in advance
  7. I am in the process of making "tile sheets" for the small bathroom in travel trailer, and I'm beginning to work on my swaps. I hate to say this, but I'd love another couple days of snow so that I could stay home from school and work on the travel trailer. Today is my oldest son's 19th birthday, so there will be no mini making after work today, we will be going out for dinner.
  8. This is what Lizzie looks like.....I had an order before Christmas where I had to add an eye pin in her head so that she could be hung on a Christmas tree! She's about 3 1/2 inches tall.
  9. I paint wooden peg people as a hobby. I've made several copyright infringing sets of Disney characters for my babies to play with, but I only sell generic ones to the public. I have an Etsy store, and I've had a few custom orders, but my most popular peg by far is a Lizzie Bordon peg doll. I'm thinking of expanding my mind to include other nefarious characters, I've got prototypes drawn up for Jack the Ripper and John Wayne Gaycy, but I've put them on hold for now. Right now I'm focusing on my mini's, I have enough pegs in stock to fill any orders for my shop, so I am taking a break from them. However, I'm sure I will be back to painting soon.....probably when I start painting some of my furniture, do it all while the paint's out kind of thing.
  10. Claire I feel like I am in the same boat as you - I finally joined this site and I'm amazed at the work others are doing, and I don't feel like I can do anything even half as good as what I'm seeing here. However, I have seen that patience and practice are starting to pay off in some of my own skills. Read everything you can,especially these forums. I also really like the blog http://dollhouseescapes.blogspot.com/ , I have gotten a lot of advice and inspiration from that blog. Don't be afraid to try new things and mess up while you are learning. I taught myself to use wood filler, and next up is using a scroll saw. We can all learn together, especially us newbies.
  11. Not sure what happened with the above post. I discovered that I can't work on my swaps until I get a new pair of tweezers, but hopefully by the weekend my new set will be delivered.
  12. From the album: Travel Trailer

This is the front of the travel trailer, ready for the first coat of primer
  13. I've been following this thread, and find it very interesting. However, I looked at this link, and I can't tell where it is outsourced from - where did you find that info, I'd like to check other products as well.
  14. Welcome Heather! I see that you have already started the dry fit and that's great, I got excited and skipped the dry fit on my vintage travel trailer, and I had a long evening of sanding dried glue off. You will find this forum to be full of helpful and friendly people. Welcome aboard and best of luck!
  15. You may have to start over. I used to use Triple Thick in my other hobby, which is painting wooden peg people. I always had trouble with the Triple Thick getting cloudy. I started using Mod Podge Super Thick Gloss and haven't had a problem with clouding, so that may work for what you need it to do. Most Wal-Marts carry the Super Thick Gloss, it's in a jar with a dark blue label, and is with the other Mod Podge products.
  16. I've had some bad experiences with buying things from China that once arrived, was nothing like the picture. The worst instance for me was for a formal ball gown I ordered for our annual debutante ball - the picture was of a beautiful satin ball gown that was a dark plum shade. What I received appeared to be a magenta colored trash bag. There was also the time my size 1 teenage daughter bought a ton of clothes from a Chinese distributor and when they arrived, they almost fit my 4 year old. As a result, I now avoid purchasing things from China off ebay, but I honestly haven't looked at many miniatures from China. I may have to reconsider my current stance.
  17. Thank you for sharing. Otterine, your pictures are awesome. Love what you've done with those kits.
  18. I found some good deals on ebay for some House of Miniatures lots, and I plan to finish most of them in the "traditional" way (ie. wood stains) but I was thinking about painting some of the duplicate pieces different colors depending on the house/ room the piece will go in. Has anyone on here done a "non traditional" finish, and if so could you share? Thanks
  19. Deana, This may sound like a blonde question, but does the nine people include you? Thank you! Vickie
  20. One thing about Gina's blog (which is amazing) is that she has actually built the Beacon Hill twice, and I found the instructions more helpful for her second Beacon Hill build. Either way, read both of them. Let me tell you this out from the get go.....I have a Beacon Hill in a box waiting, but right now I am starting the vintage travel trailer. DO NOT skip the dry fit. Right now I have an evening of sanding and rebuilding ahead of me for the travel trailer, I can't imagine the frustration of having to do that to something as big as the BH. These forums are great, and everyone is helpful and friendly, good luck!
  21. I keep seeing things about HOM on this board, as well as a lot of other sites, so I checked out ebay to see if there were any to be had, but I was so overwhelmed that I didn't want to bid on any. I know price is subjective, what is "too high" for some may be "just fine" for others, but in general, what is a reasonable price to pay per piece? I realize that an upholstered sofa would be more than a candle stand, but I've seen some lots of 15 kits going for $250, and I've seen lots of 11 kits going for $100, when the pieces are pretty much the same. I'd like to buy some, just to have for the future, but since I have to be prudent with my funds, I want to make sure I'm not overpaying. Thanks in advance.
  22. I've recently been on a book buying binge myself, both for DIY books as well as some collection books. I've read The White House in Miniature, America's Dollhouse, as well as Patricia King's Making Victorian Furniture, Lots of Little Loos, and Making Stoves and Fireplaces (still waiting for it to arrive) . I have also been reading a blog that has me fascinated http://dollhouseescapes.blogspot.com/ . This lady has blogged her miniature journey with hundreds of posts over last four years. I spent my snow day reading all of them.