vbharrington

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by vbharrington

1. 3 hours ago, kathi17 said:

Apparently some of the products aren't made in Germany. The ones that are, are labeled made in Germany on the website. They do outsource several other companies to make their products. Here's just one of them:

http://www.reutterporcelain.com/reutter-porzellan/wood-sewing-box-set-13238.asp

I was also under the impression that all of their products were made in Germany.

I am on the Reutter American site, I hadn't gotten to the German site.

I've been following this thread, and find it very interesting.  However, I looked at this link, and I can't tell where it is outsourced from - where did you find that info, I'd like to check other products as well.

2. You may have to start over.  I used to use Triple Thick in my other hobby, which is painting wooden peg people.  I always had trouble with the Triple Thick getting cloudy.  I started using Mod Podge Super Thick Gloss and haven't had a problem with clouding, so that may work for what you need it to do.  Most Wal-Marts carry the Super Thick Gloss, it's in a jar with a dark blue label, and is with the other Mod Podge products.

3. I've had some bad experiences with buying things from China that once arrived, was nothing like the picture.  The worst instance for me was for a formal ball gown I ordered for our annual debutante ball - the picture was of a beautiful satin ball gown that was a dark plum shade.  What I received appeared to be a magenta colored trash bag.  There was also the time my size 1 teenage daughter bought a ton of clothes from a Chinese distributor and when they arrived, they almost fit my 4 year old.  As a result, I now avoid purchasing things from China off ebay, but I honestly haven't looked at many miniatures from China.  I may have to reconsider my current stance.

4. I found some good deals on ebay for some House of Miniatures lots, and I plan to finish most of them in the "traditional" way (ie. wood stains) but I was thinking about painting some of the duplicate pieces different colors depending on the house/ room the piece will go in.  Has anyone on here done a "non traditional" finish, and if so could you share?  Thanks

5. One thing about Gina's blog (which is amazing) is that she has actually built the Beacon Hill twice, and I found the instructions more helpful for her second Beacon Hill build.  Either way, read both of them.  Let me tell you this out from the get go.....I have a Beacon Hill in a box waiting, but right now I am starting the vintage travel trailer.  DO NOT skip the dry fit.  Right now I have an evening of sanding and rebuilding ahead of me for the travel trailer, I can't imagine the frustration of having to do that to something as big as the BH.  These forums are great, and everyone is helpful and friendly, good luck!

• Like 1
  6. I keep seeing things about HOM on this board, as well as a lot of other sites, so I checked out ebay to see if there were any to be had, but I was so overwhelmed that I didn't want to bid on any.  I know price is subjective, what is "too high" for some may be "just fine" for others, but in general, what is a reasonable price to pay per piece?  I realize that an upholstered sofa would be more than a candle stand, but I've seen some lots of 15 kits going for $250, and I've seen lots of 11 kits going for $100, when the pieces are pretty much the same.  I'd like to buy some, just to have for the future, but since I have to be prudent with my funds, I want to make sure I'm not overpaying.  Thanks in advance.

7. I've recently been on a book buying binge myself, both for DIY books as well as some collection books.  I've read The White House in Miniature, America's Dollhouse,  as well as Patricia King's Making Victorian Furniture, Lots of Little Loos, and Making Stoves and Fireplaces (still waiting for it to arrive) .  I have also been reading a blog that has me fascinated http://dollhouseescapes.blogspot.com/ .  This lady has blogged her miniature journey with hundreds of posts over last four years. I spent my snow day reading all of them. 

8. Sable, I have the Excel miter box set already, it came with my "Dollhouse Tool Kit."  I thought the Easy Cutter had an adjustable angle thingy (love my tech speak) that you could just set the angle, then just snip away.  It seems like drawing angles on the wood and connecting dots would take even longer than the miter box and saw.  I was hoping the Easy Cutter (or equivalent) would be faster.

9. I had great plans to pick up a few things I needed this weekend but the snow we had pretty much shut us down (SC does not do winter weather well).  However, I hope to have my prototypes done within the next week so that I can decide if I am going to go with that idea or if I will have to start over with another project.

10. I bought a Beacon Hill kit from Craig's list and the seller assured me that all of the parts are there.  Since we were snowed in today, I thought I'd check off the sheets to make sure I did indeed have all of the pieces.  At first glance, I thought I was in the clear, then I realized that some door trims and stair bannisters were not in the box (they were supposed to be on sheets in widow and door cut outs, so I figure they may have been lost - but for $50 for the kit, cutting some trim wouldn't be a problem)  However, I am now missing sheet 14, which (on the schematics) has pieces of the Mansard Roof, two pieces of the tower roof, and various pieces of door trim, fireplace trim, and bay window trim.  But, the pieces of Mansard roof, and the tower roof are included in the box as cut into two thin pieces of veneer.  So, here's my question: Can anyone tell me if I am indeed missing sheet #14, or are the trims from that page on other sheets.  There was an additional sheet of paper that stated to use it (that sheet) to identify the Mansard roof, tower roof, and dormer sections instead of the original schematics.  However, it didn't mention the other pieces on the wood sheet #14.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I need to know if I need to order a replacement sheet or not.  Thanks in advance.

11. A while back I bought a Greenleaf travel trailer from an online retailer, and when it finally arrived I didn't open it, I just put it in the closet.  I sat down after dinner to begin working on it, and I am so upset that all of the sheets are not in the box. I am missing the sheet with the curbside interior and the window trim (sheet 4) and I have two of sheet 1 (roadside exterior support). The time for returns has already passed, so I don't know what to do. Are the interior support pieces mirrors of each other, If so I should be able to flip the support and use it, but I'd still need window trims. Will Greenleaf exchange the sheet for me? Any advice would be appreciated.

12. I have been looking for a miniature show to attend, and I have come across the Atlanta Miniature Show (March 4th - 5th) as well as another show, The Atlanta Miniature Society Show and Sale (TBD)  Have any of you been to one of these shows, and is one better than the other?  I know that there is one in Charlotte, NC (actually Mooresville) in the Fall, but I'd really rather go to one before then.  If there are any other shows close to SC/NC, can someone give me some info? 

Thank you!

Vickie