vbharrington

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by vbharrington

1. I've seen that kit before, and I've read in a lot of places where the instructions were useless (I guess because they are in Chinese)  I do think it is super cute, but I went with the Greenleaf Travel Trailer. I'm still trying to decide on a color scheme for it, I'm thinking 50's era.....yellow and white, maybe some black and or aqua thrown in.

2. After reading all of these posts, I think I may have to sit this one out :(  I am skilled at needlework, and I sell items on Etsy (non miniature) that I paint, but I'm paranoid now that my items wouldn't be up to snuff.  Maybe if there is one this summer when I don't have teaching stress I'll be able to participate.

3. I've used a spray primer in the past but I have seen some YouTube videos with people sealing wood with Miniwax polyurethane and then painting it. Are there  any advantages to either method?

Also, what is the best way to sand milled clapboard siding? The Harborside I bought from Craig's list has been painted, but not sanded and it is very rough (it is the plywood, not MDF) how should I proceed with sanding this before adding another coat of paint?

4. I'd like some information about the swaps, and I'd like to participate if possible.  My knowledge of Swaps are limited to the ones my oldest daughter used to do in Brownie Scouts.

5. The "cream" pot is used as a double boiler, which is very useful if you ever need to melt chocolate, temper eggs, make Hollandaise sauce, and lots of other things.  Granted, I'm a Culinart Arts teacher, and the only time I ever use it is when I teach those techniques, but other people may like cooking more than I do (Yes, I'm a Culinary Arts teacher that doesn't like cooking at home)  It looks like it has a rounded bottom, which makes it easier to use.  Congrats again on a great find.  Enjoy.

6. Well the RGT website didn't have the plans for the Harborside listed, nor the ones for the wraparound porch and Foxhall conservatory, so I sent and email requesting them (per site instructions)  I honestly didn't think I would hear anything for a couple of days, but this morning I had an email with the Harborside instructions attached.  I sent another email politely asking for the porch and conservatory plans and I had those in less than 10 minutes.  This was my first experience with RGT customer service, and I am very impressed.

• Like 2
  7. Bad News and Incredible News

First, when I went to pick up the house I discovered that it is NOT MDF but is instead the milled plywood, which was great because I got no help loading it into my van. It also came with a gazebo wrap around porch kit and a conservatory addition. He also threw in all the ready made furniture that was there, and included 8 rooms of "kit" furniture which will stand in until I can replace it with others. I also came away with cans of exterior paint (which isn't so ugly in person), stacks of wallpaper, carpet, and sheets of "hardwood" flooring.  It turns out that when the man said his wife had "lost interest" - it wasn't in the dollhouse, it was in the marriage, so he just wanted rid of the stuff and didn't care how much money was lost.

So, what could possibly be the bad news? I have directions for the conservatory, and that's it. If anyone knows where I could get directions to finish this house and porch Id be so, so happy!

• Like 2
  8. It seems like I read a thread about this once, but for the life of me I can't remember.  I know that electricity in houses is beautiful, and I may end up using it in some of my kits, but is there anyone who doesn't wire for electricity?  I know for most it's a matter of personal preference, and I will make my decision based on house to house, but I'm just not sure it's something I want to undertake.  Did I read once that Robin Carey doesn't use electricity in her houses?  (Not that mine will compare to hers in any way)  I have seen so many tutorials that I want to try for non working light fixtures that I'm not sure that I want to use electricity, especially for some of the more open floor plans.

• Like 1
  9. After I just posted yesterday about my concern of being a hoarder, I found a deal today on Craig's List, in my own town, that I could not pass up.  I have agreed to buy a Real Good Toys Harborside mansion (partially complete) for $100.  The main portion of the house is built, the porch and windows still need to be finished.  The seller has assured me that all of the parts are still there, and has said I am welcome to check them off when I come to pick up the house this afternoon.  Apparently it was a project started over a year ago and she lost interest.  Here is my rehab question.....It has been put together with wood glue and hot glue, so I know I will at least have to redo those pieces at least.  However, the house has been painted a fairly unappealing (to me) shade of green with burgundy trim.  How would one go about repainteing MDF?  If someone has any links I would appreciate it.

I am also picking up a Beacon Hill on Saturday, NIB for $50 from a gentleman and lady who are downsizing and need it gone.  To make it even better, they live about a 125 miles away, but on Saturday they are coming up I-85 on a day trip and have agreed to meet at the exit I live off of :)  

I've also sent an inquiry about a vintage scratch built house that I am waiting to hear back from.

Now to just convince my husband to make me my own workshop area.

• Like 4
  10. Shannon, my Rutherford is fully furnished, but just bare walls and floors :)  I'm thinking that I'd like a change from the Orchid right now, so I have been looking into pictures of vintage trailers/campers to glean ideas from.  I blame some of it on my ADHD and some of it on my inability/fear to make a decision about decor. 

11. My hubby bought me a Beachside Bungalow kit for Christmas, and I've been thinking about how I want the house to look.  I have not seen a model built, but I am concerned about the size, and if I will have room for everything I want to add.  I have seen some houses that the stairs have been left out, which would free up some room, but I'm not sure how much I like a "stair free" dollhouse.

12. As I've stated on here before, I have been obsessed with mini's my whole life, and when I was 12, my mom had a Rutherford built for me, which is still (in my eyes) the most beautiful dollhouse ever.  A while back I bought myself an Orchid kit at Hobby Lobby and started work on it.  The holidays came round and I put the Orchid away, but found a great deal on Craigslist for a San Franciscan kit, so I bought that.  My hubby bought me a Beachside Bungalow kit for Christmas, and yesterday I found a great deal on a NIB travel trailer kit.  So, here I am with one (barely) started Orchid, a San Franciscan, Beach Bungalow, and travel trailer all still in the box. Does anyone else have multiple kits sitting around, or do I have some sort of hoarding issue starting?

It would take a whole different thread to address that why, after almost 27 years, I still can't decorate the inside of my Rutherford, because I'm afraid that I will mess it up or it won't look "right."

• Like 3
  13. My baby's birthday is tomorrow, and Anna Muffin will be 3 years old.  She likes to tell me that she is a "big girl" and "not (a) baby" anymore.  We had the grandparents over today for cake and ice cream, and an aunt and uncle gave her a karaoke microphone (with no volume button) that she and her 4 year old brother and sister (twins + singleton in less than two years, = Irish triplets) have been serenading us with.  I am behind on lesson plans so I stayed home from church this evening, so I should be working on lesson plans instead of scrolling though miniature boards, but there you go :)

14. Since I am not able to work on my dollhouse through the work week, I bought 7 rooms of Greenleaf furniture kits to assemble when I have a few minutes here and there.  I realize that this furniture is not what one would really want in a "show piece" house, but think that with some extra care customization, the furniture will be great to fill the house with as I replace it with nicer pieces.  Anyway, for starters, I'm not totally thrilled with the quality of the wood, unlike my house kit, these pieces are very fragile and always seem to splinter and break, no matter how careful I am with the X-acto knife.  I'm trying not to be discouraged, but it's frustrating.  If anyone has any tips, advice, etc for these furniture kits I would appreciate it.

15. Oh great.  I just primed both sides of sheets for my Orchid (my first build) because I saw several YouTube posts that said to do it that way, and it made perfect sense.  I hope I didn't ruin the fun of building before I even got started!  I guess I better pick up some more X-Acto blades.

16. I was able to get my Orchid unpacked yesterday at I started priming to the wood sheets.  I was excited that the kit came with shingles, but that was until I saw them.  These shingles are literally paper thin and when I took them out of the box they started splitting and crumbling.  I'm beginning to think I will need to buy "aftermarket" shingles to get higher quality ones.  Has anyone else experienced these paper thin shingles?  Am I right in thinking that I will have to buy other shingles?