vbharrington

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by vbharrington

1. Thanks for the advice last week.  I took the plunge and bought the San Franciscan 557 I found on Craigslist for $100.  I was assured all of the pieces were there, but I was a little wary since the box was open.  Well, when I picked it up there was a plastic grocery bag of shingles, and another bag of smaller parts, plus the box.  I sat down Saturday morning and checked off all of the parts listed, and everything seems to be present and accounted for (no quantity was given for some of the parts, and I didn't bother counting shingles)  Now, when will I get started on it?  Who knows, it may be years, but at least I know I should have everything I need when the time comes.

• Like 3
  2. I've tried searching the forum for help with this, but to know avail.  I've decided to go ahead and buy the new, but open box San Franciscan 557 I found on Craig's list.  I talked to the construction teacher at the school I work at, and he told me that the only glue I would be able to use for the MDF is Gorilla Glue.  I hate all of the foaming that comes with Gorilla Glue, so can anyone suggest something else that will work on the MDF?  Thank you in advance. 

3. While I have always been a lover of miniatures, I am new to building dollhouses.  In fact, my first build, The Orchid is only in the "priming" stage.  However, I have the opportunity to purchase a Duracraft San Franciscan (open box, but the seller assures me all pieces are there) for $100.  I honestly don't know if this is a good deal or not.  I have seen this same house selling on ebay for twice as much, but I'm not familiar with the Duracraft brand to know if this would be worth the investment.  I have my eye on a Real Good Toys house for my second build, but this one is significantly less expensive.  Can someone tell me 1 - is this kit worth the money, 2 - are Duracraft houses much harder to build than RGT?  Thank you in advance!

4. I have always loved everything tiny, especially dollhouses.  My mom had a huge (to me at the time) dollhouse built for my 13th birthday, but I can't remember the name of the kit (It isn't a Greenleaf, but it looks a little like the Beacon Hill)  Anyway, 25 years later, I really want a dollhouse in my house (my large one is too big for my house, and is still at my mothers) but I have never built one, so I went with the Orchid, thinking that if I totally ruined it, I'd only be out of $30.  I am excited to begin, but nervous too, when I was a little girl, I saw the Garfield in a Sears catalog and have wanted one ever since.  My husband has told me that if I build a couple of smaller houses with success, he will buy me the Garfield.  I'm very excited, but with 5 children (3 of whom are 4 and under) I am not sure when I will ever get my Orchid started, much less finished.

5. Hi all, I'm Vickie, and I'm in the Upstate of SC.  I've been obsessed with anything and everything "mini" since I was a kid.  I have a large dollhouse my mom had built for me years ago, but because of space limitations I can't keep it at my house -  I do currently have an Orchid kit that I want to start working on.  With 3 of my 5 kids being toddlers, I am not sure how fast I will get even a small house like the Orchid built.  However, I've picked up my miniature hobby again with a vengeance.