Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Danny

Recent Profile Visitors

1,547 profile views
  1. Thanks everyone for the input- Mike - good to hear from you as well - i have seen the results of what you describe where the lower portion of the shingle appears more weathered than the higher portion - I like it - I'll do some more testing to see what works out best - I certainly don't want it to look like new money Danny
  2. I knew the Queen of Spackle would have something for me thanks Holly- - Is it best to distress before roof application or can i install first and then distress in place ?? Danny
  3. Hello, Mini Folks I'm nearing completion on my Beacon Hill build and I am interested in learning more about distressing the wood shingles. If anyone has ideas, methods or links it would be great to hear from you... I'm planning on using the shingles that came with the kit. I've tested a vinegar and water solution soak - which produces a grayish color - but i would like to test other options before making a decision. Thanks in advance Danny
  4. Debora You can see the siding color in the later pics - its like a cream color - I used a oil base satin so not to warp the thin siding with a water based latex I'm liking one coat as it lets some grain show through thus looking more naturally weathered I'm consistently slow to decide what to use for what probably due to my lack of experience in dollhouse builds - I'm currently laboring over roofing options decisions decisions
  5. Boca1212

Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill First official build - learning as I go...
  6. Boca1212

landscaping2.jpg

Impressive - I particularly like the center section with the stairwells ... the different shaped exterior windows add a great asian architectual feel nicely done !!!
  7. Two words - Dremel Tool !!! As Kathie states parts often need to be shaved to adjust the fit, a Dremel tool with a round sanding wheel on the tip works great for removing material quickly - and I sand everything usually using one of those foam core sanding blocks. Often the edges of the wood are rough and pitted in which case I apply spackling then sand. Note: If painting the component Spackling if staining use wood putty to fill any imperfections...Spackling does not take stain very well. Having a pre-plan on paint and or stain is also important unless you are a contortionist and can get into small places easily. Just make sure you are understanding the directions well before performing surgery. I have found the following Blog at More Minis to be helpful whenever i was stumped construction. http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-beacon-hill-dollhouse-revisited_91.html#.V952n_krJ9N Good luck and have fun Danny
  8. beautiful - i'm on it - thanks so much to all for the resources DR
  9. Finally back on my build - i will soon be turning my attention to interior decor - Can anyone point me in the direction of window dressings resources - the DIY type - I may not do it myself but i know someone who can help - The house is Beacon Hill and I have been trying to stay as close to the Victorian time frame as possible - any suggestions are welcome regards DR
  10. I'm in total agreement with these veterans that have responded here - I too am relatively new to this..I'm working on the Beacon Hill also (my second build) - I have found that you must dry fit everything... many pieces and parts have needed adjustments - my Dremel tool has become my friend. Good luck and keep asking questions these folks are a wealth of knowledge Take care.. PS - my glue of choice is Quick Grip - found at Walmarts for like 4 bucks - I use it for all general construction bonds (with tape and clamps) Danny
  11. Boca1212

image.jpeg

Great work, very innovative and inexpensive !!!
  12. yep yep - i agree it is on her second build she has some pretty detailed directions - only difference is she was hinging her windows. I think i'm going with her steps outlined Thanks
  13. I have read somewhere that it may be best to totally assemble the dormer window and then install it in the opening (i think) - I have also seen on More Minis Blog site a different method but different still from the directions provided - I'm leaning toward the More Mini method. I would be interested in any other references that may be out there and would love to hear from others on the choices they made for their dormer window install Thanks in advance DR
  14. Boca1212

newshingles3.jpg

Is this a scratch build or did you have something you started with??? - it's truly awesome.
  15. Furniture....Whaaaattttt ??? you mean it needs furniture ? No pressure ... lol I appreciate the comments coming from you veterans as your work is amazing !!!