19 Good

About HotPinkGlitterSparkle

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Faye

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. HotPinkGlitterSparkle

Orchid for Etta

My first build. January 2016.
  2. Hi, everyone. I made some wall shelves for my daughter's Westville. She doesn't want them glued in place- wants to have the option to move them around if needed. I protected the wallpaper with matte spray sealant prior to installation. Sticky tack isn't holding the shelves, neither is this "reusable mounting tab" product from Scotch. http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Reusable-Adhesive-Mounting-Tab/dp/B00PV1FO7C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461878656&sr=8-8&keywords=3M+photo+mount+strips Can anyone suggest another way to temporarily install shelves that hold minis? Thank you.
  3. Hi, everyone. I made some wall shelves for my daughter's Westville. She doesn't want them glued in place- wants to have the option to move them around if needed. I protected the wallpaper with matte spray sealant prior to installation. Sticky tack isn't holding the shelves, neither is this "reusable mounting tab" product from Scotch. http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Reusable-Adhesive-Mounting-Tab/dp/B00PV1FO7C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461878656&sr=8-8&keywords=3M+photo+mount+strips Can anyone suggest another way to temporarily install shelves that hold minis? Thank you.
  4. Thanks, everyone! I absolutely realize that there is no way I could sell them for what my time is worth. I definitely plan to donate one for auction for my child's school. Austin no longer has a dollhouse shop, our best local toy store has a very nice selection of miniatures and supplies. There is a fully built house on display for something like $650. I do know a lot of moms in town. My friends have been freaking out over the houses I made. It also seems like there are probably many parents in some of our city's affluent neighborhoods who would love to have the houses I've built for my daughters and be more than willing to pay a price I would appreciate. I just need to figure out how to spread the word. They way I think of it is that as long as it feels like fun and not an obligation, any money I make back on it is gravy. I have the time to do it, and due to an injury I got last year, I can no longer pursue my (more expensive) hobby of horseback riding. If I build the less expensive kits, like the Arthur and the Orchid, the costs would be really low. Keep your comments coming! I will post photos of my houses in the gallery! faye
  5. Hi, there folks! I introduced myself a few months back and then dove right into building two back to back kits, one for each of my daughters. I built an Orchid, took a break for a few days, and then built a Westville. During that time, I really didn't need to lean on everyone here as much as I thought I would, and I didn't spend time posting or reading here because I was building. I really, really loved it. I finished last week, and am extremely proud of how they turned out. Cleaning up my workspace and putting away my supplies left me bereft. Sooooooo I bought another kit. My Laurel is on its way! I guess the plan is to build it and then try to sell it locally, maybe to a friend. Is that what many of y'all do? Because I think I'm going to be doing this. And doing it again. And again. I caught the bug. I've got the fever. And I am not going to turn my garage into a gallery. My knitting and crochet compulsion is much more manageable/useful. I'm wondering what you folks do with your houses. If you sell your work, I want to hear about it! My husband is all for me making a little cash from something I enjoy doing. Thanks, and forgive me if this question is asked once a week on this forum.
  6. Funny that you mention it! I just went there a few weeks ago with my daughters on a weekend trip for my oldest's birthday. It was really fun. I loved geeking out with the owners. They told me they don't build Greenleaf's anymore because they're too hard/fiddly!
  7. I have paid in blood for my mistake, but the front is off. Should I ever need to do something of this sort again, I will wear gloves. Thank you so much for telling me how to do it!
  8. I've been working really hard on my orchid, which is my first build, and having a blast. I just realized that I have glued the front of the house shell on upside down. I used Allene's tacky glue and wood glue. What should I do? Is it game over? Is there a way that I can un-glue it without destroying it? I haven't glued on the roof. Just the exterior walls and the floors of both levels. I'd like to add that my husband predicted I would cry 9 times over the course of building two dollhouses, and I'm still not crying yet. Thanks a million for any help you can give me. faye
  9. Don't you worry, Holly! I have learned from my recent studies that hot glue should only be used for shingles or siding. Thanks for the welcome and tips!
  10. This information is extremely helpful. Thank you all so much! faye
  11. I have read many recommendations to do an entire dry build with painter's tape. On Gina's truly incredible blog, she suggests not doing that, but just dry fitting pieces before you glue. I have gathered that there are several camps of builders- those who dry build the whole thing, take it apart, paint/wallpaper, and then rebuild; those who wait till the house is built before painting interiors/wallpaper, except for the spots that will become inaccessible. I actually like the idea of putting the whole thing together with tape first, but I haven't seen an explanation of how to unbuild the house afterwards and still know what is what in order to rebuild. Do you just go in reverse order? How do you keep the pieces organized as you take it apart? Thanks!
  12. I know I will need clamps, but I'm trying to figure out how many of each kind/size I should have on hand as I get started with my Orchid. At Hobby Lobby I was unable to find any of the plastic bar clamps like those blue ones for dollhouse building I see in photos, so I presume I will need to get them online. I want to make sure I purchase enough, and truly appreciate your input. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Clamp-small-tools-model-miniatures-hobby-2pcs-12333-/161729392960?hash=item25a7d2b140 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Clamp-7-1-2-tools-model-miniatures-2pcs-/160503334789?hash=item255ebe8785 What other sorts of clamps would you recommend having in my toolkit as I begin? Thanks! faye