22 Excellent

About Sasha

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Sasha

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Thanks! Yep, made me feel good. She was so sweet and gave me a huge hug and thanked me. She said she'd always had the cheap small dollhouses as a child, and when she saw mine it just filled her heart with warmth and excitement that she could finally have something she'd always wanted. I'll confess, it made me tear up. So, in my book it was a win-win!
  2. I did wind up selling it this past weekend. Someone saw my post on CL and inquired about it. She drove from outside Chicago to pick it up. It made me feel good, though. Turns out she has MS and when she saw the dollhouse, she said it reminded her of the dollhouses she saw as a child and really wanted, but never had. It made me feel really good that it brought her such pleasure! I'm looking forward to (hopefully) starting up again soon :-)
  3. Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words! I absolutely adored every minute working on it, even the frustrating things. For me, the detail work actually helps me relax because I have to zone out everything and focus. I have epilepsy, so for me, anything that can really relax me is great hehe I work from home, which can be stressful (I joke I'm on call 24/7) plus my husband and I do puppy rescue on the side. The last six months have just been a bit overwhelming on a lot of fronts, and my health suffered a bit. So, after taking a good look at the house today, I knew it was time to say it was time to move on, take a break and take care of myself :-)
  4. So, I had a blast assembling my first dollhouse. It's the RGT Victoria's Farmhouse (MDF) I'm a bit peeved that it isn't "perfect" because at the end I wound up with some electrical issues (and had to remove the flooring in 2 rooms). Unfortunately, I have an emergency medical expense, and so I need to just sell the house as is and move on. With everything going on personally, I just won't be able to focus on it anytime soon. As I said, this is my first build. I read all the tips and suggestions from you all. No hot glue anywhere. The house is sturdy. It is electrified, although, I did screw up and 2 of my lights (and the side porch) don't come on. The lights work everywhere else, though. All the rooms have wallpaper and trim on all doors, floors, ceilings and windows. The staircases are upgraded staircases. I will even include the porcelain bathroom set as well as all the trim I have left. I'm in Michigan about an hour and a half from Detroit, one hour from Flint. It's too big and heavy to ship, so it would need to be a local pickup. I have posted it locally to Craig's List, and I'm not looking to make a fortune on it. Thanks for looking!
  5. uggh...so true! At the time I just didn't think through the brads versus eyelets and did what the wiring guide showed (obviously I've learned my lesson!)
  6. It worked! (doing a HUGE happy dance!) I ordered the supplies from CR2S that arrived earlier. I replaced the junction splice (luckily I ordered a new test probe) but nothing came on initially (but the probe said their was power to the first strip). So, I moved down to the splice up into the house and replaced the brads with the eyelets from CRS2 and POOF everything lit up! The only thing not working right now is the front porch (it is the same as the side porch). I tried replacing the bulb, which isn't it. So, I'm going to go ahead and cut out the paper next to the inside of the front door and fix that. The eyelets with the CR2S kit are so much easier to work with! Thanks so much for all the insight and tips and the great advice to keep me going!!
  7. that's what I went ahead and did. I got the few things I need for now (as you mentioned) to see if I can get things working. Fingers crossed!
  8. Thank you for your kind words! You all are really a great bunch here! Despite the setbacks, I adore doing the work. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I have epilepsy. The biggest downside is that my medications cause me really bad memory issues. The running joke in my family is I don't remember what I had for breakfast. Because of that, my day to day work and tasks are always loaded with remembering things, writing down things, not getting upset at myself for forgetting. So, doing this house has been so great for me. Getting in the "zone", just working on the details, being a perfectionist. For me, it's heaven even when things go wrong. So, in the long run it was, and is, worth it and learning the things I have, I can't wait to start on my next one!
  9. It's interesting that you mentioned the CRS2 adaptors. I'd been reading about them here and other places, and really liked how it sounded (stability-wise). I did want to go with that kit, but I'll confess that finances got the better of me. It was (if memory serves me) around $90 for the kit whereas with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby I was able to get the older set. So, being cheap ultimately cost me :-) The junction splice is at the base of the house/porch. I did notice today, though, that when I pulled it out to try and move it that the pins are a bit bent. I may go ahead and splurge on the CRS2 kit just to see if the adaptor makes a difference and if it doesn't no biggie, I've got it for another build. But getting a new test probe will also go a long way to try and narrow down what went wrong. As I was laying the floors, I would test the lights as I went along. So, I'm still leaning towards it being the junction since after laying the last of the floor the lights did work. But the test probe will tell hehe Thanks again!
  10. Thanks for all the great suggestions, and the compliments. Being that this is my first build, I'm trying not to be hard on myself. As I said, my breakdown was most likely due to just a rough month. We wound up fostering two different moms and their puppies, which in and of itself is tiring. Plus, having a small area to work in isn't the most ideal. I've already got my new office/craft room planned out, which will give me more space so that will make a big difference. For now I'm planning to get a test probe at Hobby Lobby and continue with things like trim, etc. until I can figure out where the issue might be. Thanks again for all the support! You all are a great group!!
  11. I used eyelets. The brads that came with the kit were just too hard for me to use (eyesight). I did use paste for the paper, so thank you for the tips! I will definitely try those as well!! Thanks again. I think with this month being so crazy, and then last night I pulled a muscle in my back I just felt defeated looking at the house today. So, I appreciate the great insight and tips. It has re-energized me!
  12. Thank you for the compliment I've been deliberately going slow to try and do nice work, more to challenge myself (and being a perfectionist). It's my first big build, so as I said before, I did learn a lot (although I did read all the things "not to do" ahead of time hehe). You may be right about the junction splice. With the RGD being MDF my first install of the splice didn't work, so I had to pull it out and re-do it. Since none of the lights are coming on, you might be right. When I had issues previously, the downstairs lights would work but not the second floor, etc. so you may have hit on the issue!
  13. I'm a bit frustrated and hoping for some input and thoughts. I got a great deal on an RGD Victoria's Farmhouse. I've been working on it for about three months now. I didn't have a specific purpose for it in mind at the end, I honestly just like the detail involved. Between a busy job, puppy rescue and having epilepsy, it is one of the few things that really relaxes me and takes me out of the current moment and into the concentration involved in building a dollhouse. The last month, though, has been a nightmare. I haven't had much free time. The area I work in is also my home office so space is getting tight, just everything at once including several last minute rescues that took a lot out of me and my husband. What is really the kicker for me...I electrified the entire dollhouse. I did great, kept putting in a fixture and checking as I went along and all was great. When I went to customize (wallpaper and flooring) is when things got sticky. I think I may have accidentally cut a piece of the tape wire going from the first to second floor (most of my lights are wired on the floor above where the light is) and I think that is where the short is. I broke my test probe and haven't gotten a new one, so I'm not sure. I hammered a few spots, and things seemed to work again so I continued on. Well, last night the lights wouldn't come on no matter what I did. All my floors are down as is my wallpaper. I know that in order to truly finish, I'll have to find the issue and I think that is when I thought that maybe I needed to finally throw in the towel. I learned a lot doing this kit, so I know a lot of things not to do the next go around. Do I just chalk it up to a learning curve (although I dread the cost of this learning curve hehe) Has anyone encountered or felt this way, and if so, what did you do? Thanks for the input. I'm usually pretty optimistic person but this has really got me down. Oh, and pictures of what I've done so far are attached.
  14. ooops, so sorry! I didn't realize. Sorry, but thanks for setting me straight!
  15. Hello everyone! I purchased the Lily kit for my mom a few months back. She never got around to opening it. My husband and I are moving in two weeks, and moving my mom into our old home so we are scrambling to downsize and collect a few dollars towards the move. So, I've decided to part with the kit for now. I've got two projects I'm working on, so I don't foresee cracking it open anytime soon. The box hasn't been opened at all. Fully sealed and in great shape. I'll pack it well so it travels without issue. If you are interested, just let me know!