• Last visited

3 Neutral

About Rindiesel

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None

Recent Profile Visitors

542 profile views
  1. Hello All, Need to paint the siding and exterior items on my Beacon Hill and I have a couple of questions. What type of paint do most of you use for your siding and exteriors? Acrylic or latex? I was looking at Benjamin Moore exterior paint for wood surfaces as I want the paint to last a very long time without worrying about fading, peeling or cracking. Also, how many coats do you apply and is it necessary to sand between coats like you would do in a real house? Thanks!
  2. @Dalesq: Thank you! I have a Michaels nearby so I will be checking it out. Your shingles turned out great! So you added each of the paint colors separately to the Liquitex and applied multiple layers to the shingles?
  3. @Ris: I literally just finished putting up the last piece of siding. 346 pieces! I counted hahaha. I did think about doing what you did with that small piece for the right wall of the kitchen bay after the fact lol. I also installed the siding before the windows so I hope I won't have too much of a problem. We'll see
  4. Oh yes sorry about that. @Dalesq: what gel medium did you use?
  5. My shingles are flat so I would need to add a bit of texture to them. @Sable: what gel medium did you use?
  6. Hello all and Happy Easter! Looking to make a faux slate roof for my Beacon Hill using the fish scale shingles that came with the kit. Does anyone have a painting technique or product they have used to achieve this look?
  7. To those who installed siding before window trim: did you also install siding before adding bay window and kitchen roofs?
  8. Hello All, I'm working on my Beacon Hill and just finished siding the porch area. According to the instructions, I'm supposed to install all the windows and trim before putting up the siding and just cut it to fit around those areas. Then in Gina's blog I read she installed all the siding before putting in the windows and bay window roofs. Has anyone else done the siding this way? I just don't want to glue down siding before installing the windows or bay roofs and then have them not fit over the siding. Thanks !
  9. Thanks all for your input! I actually ended up using wood glue applied in a very thin layer and used tape to hold it in place while it dried. It worked beautifully.
  10. Hello all! Working on the Beacon Hill and am about to put up siding. Instructions suggest hot glue but I've read many postings on this forum suggesting never to use hot glue. Instructions say to avoid using white glue due to moisture in the glue warping the siding. Then I've read in Gina's blog, she uses Aileen's Tacky glue. Any other suggestions?
  11. Thanks for the info! When you use scrapbook paper, do you spray both sides with any kind of fixative spray first like Krylon?
  12. Hello all, Is it necessary to prime the walls before applying wall paper or can I just apply wall paper paste directly to the wood before applying the wall paper? Also, if I am using scrapbook paper for wall paper, do I have to seal it first with a spray fixative so the color won't bleed when the paste is applied? Thanks!
  13. Hello all, I am in the process of trying to finish assembling the staircase railings and posts. The entire staircase is already in place and I've completed the second and third floor railing assemblies. I am on Part D, step 14 of the instruction sheet and I'm a bit confused about where certain corner posts go. I've seen Gina's blog & pics and unfortunately, I still can't make out where these posts and corner posts go. If anyone can post detailed pics of the staircase, specifically the top and bottom of the second floor staircase, I would be very appreciative. Thanks! Rindiesel
  14. Being that I already sealed the walls would there be any problem with applying paint or primer? I'm assuming there'd be no issue with wallpaper and glue though. Also, is there a particular glue best suited for wallpaper? I saw on one video how the adhesive appeared as a dark stain on the wallpaper. I'd want to avoid that.
  15. When I started this years ago, I actually bought some traditional furniture from Bombay Company when it was going out of business. Then when I stopped working on it and moved, I had a garage sale and sold the furniture . And now, I'm not sure how I want to decorate it. As of now, the floors and stairs are stained and finished. The walls are sealed. I'm just wondering if I should complete the build first and then wallpaper the inside rooms afterwards? Then there's the question of lighting it too. I've seen some of the BH pics of other members and it is CRAZY how talented these people are! It's very intimidating actually . Do you know if anyone has ever posted step by step videos of their BH build? I haven't seen any as of yet.