lolli28147

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by lolli28147

1. 13 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

Thank you! That looks interesting, I'll have a look at materials and tutorials.

That looks fantastic! I have grouting material for houses at home, is that viable or would I need to get a special kind of mortar mix for dollhouses? 

I used tile grout, sanded, for the mortar between my stones. Add in a good dose of white glue, as it tends to crumble once it dries. The glue seemed to help quite a bit to keep that from happening.

2. On October 9, 2016 at 2:34:30 PM, wormwoodz said:

I have seen those yes, we don't have egg carton at home but I might be able to get a similar kind of cardboard at the arts supply store.

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll test both the sandpapper and the cardboard. I also thought about trying cork, I guess I'll assemble and paint a small portion of each before gluing to test the result.

I needed "stone" for my witch cottage. All of my egg cartons are styrofoam, too, so I used McDonald's drink trays. The underside has a nice bumpy texture and they are a good thickness. You can very easily make bricks out of them as well, just by cutting them into nice, rectangular shapes. A bit of advice, paint the trays before cutting them. I used acrylic paints in various shades, then I sprayed them with a coat of clear, matte paint. It blends the colors very well. What I really like about the drink trays, is they are practically free. I imagine if you were to go into McDonald's and ask them if you can buy 10 or so, they will probably let you have them for free or very cheap. Pictures of the "stones" I made are in my witch cottage/ butter cup album.

3. On September 25, 2016 at 12:50:06 PM, mikeuk said:

Have you ever asked yourself 'Now why the heck did I say that'. It's a question I put to myself more and more these days! A number of years ago I was diagnosed with a condition known as bipolar disorder and whilst that doesn't mean my toolbox is short a couple of spanners it does mean I'm prone to the occasional bout of erratic behaviour! Normally I'm quite full of the joys of a Spring day but there are occasions when all I see is black. I'm afraid right now is one of those dark times......hence the stunt that started this ridiculous thread!

I've restored my albums (Yet again) and I've taken a double dose of my magic potion (Lithium) and now I'll say that word that I'm having to use more and more these days (Sorry).

Sorry folks. 

Mike, just wants to say you are favorite. :) nothing more, nothing less....and I quoted you in the hopes that you will get a notification of this post. :)

4. Ive been using tile grout...but instead of adding only water, I also add in some elmers glue. The tile grout tends to crack....I noticed when I added in the glue, that didn't happen so much

• Like 2
  5. I'll be 35 in a couple of weeks, but my daughter is 10 and loves making miniatures! She's made me several "creatures" for a future build, a witch cottage. We have a Buttercup that I've dry fitted and we've been waiting for it to tell us how it wants to be bashed. :) this will be my daughters first build. I'm super excited for it. 

6. 2 hours ago, armymom166 said:

I recently watched an Angie Scarr video where she used a 3D pen to make "wrought iron" gates.  She traced over a design that she printed out on paper.  They turned out o.k., but I am not sure I possess the talent or patience for a 3D pen.  I'd love for someone else to try it and let everyone know how it worked... LOL!!  Seriously, though, I'd have to see more mini applications before investing in one.  There's just so much wrought iron one can make. 

I watched that exact video and wondered if that's why this topic came up:) needless to say, I'm in the same boat of wanting to know if others were successful with using that technique 

• Like 1
  7. Apparently, the last two photos I uploaded listed my address (well, a neighbors, as Google doesn't like my house....but it is on the same road). I had no clue until a fellow forum member pointed it out to me. I did go into my iPad settings and turned off the location services...I haven't uploaded any other pics to see if this has fixed it showing.

• Like 1
  8. 9 hours ago, kathi17 said:

That's pretty much what happened with my friend's grandparents, even though he was still alive, they were both very old and feeble.

It was still a dairy farm, and her parents took it over, but it was in the days where the state started raising property taxes, and the small farmers ended up not being able to farm any more.

The inside of the house was very sparse and no nonsense.

The inside of this house will eventually (hopefully-lol) have an eclectic mix of things spanning several decades. I want it to look as if the house was well lived in and the items were all collected over a long period of time. It also makes it easier for me to place things I like and love in the house without being cornered in to a particular era or theme. :)

• Like 2
  9. 8 hours ago, KathieB said:

The aging and roof are very effective. Nicely done! The close-up of the window is correct, with the upper pane on the outside. The two windows above it, though, are backwards. If it rains, the rain will pool and leak into the house because the top panes are on the inside. Your little folks are going to have to mop up puddles. :(  

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I had that problem constantly with the windows on the SF555.

All of the Windows will look like the one in the close up. I haven't installed the trim around the Windows inside the house yet, so the panes keep falling out. They are all taped to the frames inside. Plus, my window frames on the outside are a little loose, so the Windows keep sliding down. I am probably gonna stick a dot of glue on the track of each window to keep them in place. I only want the back panes to go up and down. :)

10. 1 hour ago, kathi17 said:

Your aging looks beautiful, and so does the tin roof. This reminds me of the farmhouse one of my friend's grandparents used to have. They didn't have a lot of money, and as they got older, the house started looking just like this.

Thank you so much, Kathi! That's exactly the look I was going for! My daughter (who's 10) and I have decided that this house belongs to "Granny and Pappy"......however, Pappy died sometime ago, which is why the house looks a little rough. :)

• Like 1
  11. 2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Well done on the aged siding & trim!  Your roof goes right with it, too.

Thanks, Holly. :) The siding and trim are due to the wonders of crackle paint. Lol I've got a little more work to do on the roof, but, for some thin cardboard, yarn and paint.....I'm pretty happy with it. :) I still have to add some trim pieces to it, but I can't do that until the back roof is on.....and of course, I'm going to wait till the last second before gluing it on. I've decided it will hinder me too much, even though it really doesn't take up much room... Lol