MiniaturesInsight

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

MiniaturesInsight last won the day on April 2 2019

MiniaturesInsight had the most liked content!

62 Excellent

About MiniaturesInsight

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Alannah
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

2,033 profile views
  1. Hi Lisa, I've actually never used an embroidery machine, I like doing it by hand so much. It's almost meditative in a way, and I feel that the end product has a lot more personality to it. That's just me though! Most embroidery machines I've seen tend to just do it for you if you load a pattern into them, if you wanted to control it yourself I think you'd have to draw the pattern first with washable fabric marker to create a guide for yourself.
  2. Well this weekend was a mini show in my little corner of the world, and so I went to that with my addiction hobby enabler of a mother on Saturday. I picked up a bunch of nice minis which I'll share just as soon as I can get to a camera. Then on Sunday I made this little guy! I think it's been about 15 years since I last touched polymer clay, so I'm going to mark this as a win. Now to the hard part, baking him!
  3. MiniaturesInsight

Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Kitbashing a NIB Dura-Craft Newberg dollhouse.
  4. Anna, here's another method that I've seen done for tile/mosaic tabletops. http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2013/02/1-inch-scale-wicker-table-with-tile-top.html I can't wait to see what method you come up with! I have thought about doing a tile or mosaic table for my greenhouse.
  5. Mini Les Bois, miniature club of Boise, ID, is organizing the 38th Annual Miniatures Show and Sale on: Sat. April 21, 2018 between 10am-5pm and Sun. April 22, 2018 between noon-5pm Best Western Vista Inn at the airport: 2645 Airport Way, Boise, Idaho 83705 Admission is $5.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 5-12 years old, and free for those 5 and under. There are door prizes, raffles and displays on both days, and there will be dealers from 6 states, CA, CO, ID, OR, WA, and WY, attending. Per my information there will be 1:12, 1:48, and 1:44 scale minis available.
  6. I would think that since the company closed their doors so many years ago any patents are likely to have expired. Also I think regarding copyright you could say that you want it put to DVD under the fair use for educational purposes clause and be fine, given the age and the fact that no-one is likely to care!
  7. Lately I've been getting back into embroidery, urged on by my latest mini project of sewing the fabric details like bedding and whatnot for my dollhouse. Eventually I want to embroider a couple of nice rugs and perhaps crochet some thread lace for window treatments for it. However, it's been about seven years since I last put needle and floss to fabric, as the last project before this one was a pair of pillowcases with a stamped cross stitch pattern completed when I was 17. Very simple and not terribly interesting. In the endeavor to practice a little on something larger before I begin working on something mini, I went sorting through my file of patterns for something to work on, and came up with this raven pattern I bought from Urban Threads many years ago. I don't have a printer right now, so I just free-handed it, and I think it looks pretty good! So far using a combination of backstitch and long and short stitch to fill it in.
  8. Oh my, I can see it now. Hi, my name is _______ and my SO has an addiction which they insist is 'just a hobby'.....
  9. Thanks! I agree, the tepee look isn't great, and definitely messes with the realism! I also wanted to be sure that I could change out the top bedspread later if I want, so instead of gluing it into place, I folded it on the drape lines, then ironed those folds. Then when it's unfolded and put on the bed you get a nice, natural drape and no tepee look!
  10. Holly, These might work for your purposes, it depends on how flat you need them to be, but they're very small, 3x1mm! I've been looking into using these for my appliance doors and regular house doors myself. Amazon: Personalized-Multi-Use-Whiteboard-Magnetic-Refrigerators
  11. Thanks! I did make them from scratch - various pieces of strip wood (1/8 and 1/4 square dowels), a piece of scrap 1/8 inch plywood a little bigger than the size of the table, Popsicle sticks glued together for the seats, matchsticks for the spindles, and toothpicks for the seat backs. Took about three hours to make between cutting and gluing everything, but worth it!
  12. Hi Samusa, Thanks! So far I'm planning on adding risers, although I'm going to leave them open backed until I'm sure - I'm leaving a lot of the decisions up to the house!
  13. Yes I am! I'll probably start on that sometime in late December/early January when I get my combo birthday/Christmas gift of all the supplies I will need from my SO. That part will be a little more about luck as well - since my original parts from the kit were warped, the entire front half is built a little wonky - plus I made a few newbie mistakes along the way that I had to work around. So although my measurements in my program are pretty close to what they will be in real life, I'll be making adjustments as needed along the way. Luckily old Victorian houses have a lot of trim and decoration on them, so I can cover up all of my goofs!
  14. There's also a tiny show (perhaps 20 vendors) in Boise, Idaho every year in late April that the local miniature club - Mini Les Bois - puts on. They just had their 37th annual show this year - I normally attend as a vendor, but this year it was fun to just relax and enjoy shopping!
  15. Hi John! Welcome to the forum. The UP house sounds amazing. I don't know if you had any other ideas for how to make your balloons, but several years ago I was involved in making a 1/12 scale nursery for a baby shower display, and we made balloons by taking those soft plastic grapes you can find at craft stores, pulled the stems, painted the grapes, and then glued them to white florist wire for the strings. It worked out pretty well and they were light enough that they stayed straight with no problems. Just a suggestion, and if you find a better method do let the forum know!