0 Neutral

About healingbirth

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Jillian
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I have been working on various little projects and am finally ready to start staining before I begin assembly. But, alas, some of my floor pieces are warped. Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to fix this or would it straighten itself out after it was assembeled? Thanks, Jillian
  2. Well, I took inventory yesterday and only one piece missing! Yippy!! Seams like I will be able to follow a similar piece as a template to make it though. I have to work the next two nights so no time for building. I can see why this is so addictive though. I haven't even started and I'm thinking about it all the time. There are so many things online to buy for these. Just what I need, another thing I can spend money on. It's so fun though. After I trip to the hardware store this weekend, I'll be on my way. I'll keep you all posted. :lol: Jillian
  3. Hello all, I have just invested in my first house that is to be a gift for my mom. I have already received so much great advice on this page, I am just so thrilled. I am a bit nervous, but getting more excited and confident all the time. I just want it to be perfect for her. But, I know she will love it no matter what. I'm not sure what people are including in these intros but here's a little about me. I am living in Manhattan and working as a labor and delivery nurse in the city. I love music, nature, and travel (obviously the latter two must come together since I'm living in NYC.) I start acupuncture school in the fall, and am very excited to be on that path. Nurisng is great, but I need a change. I feel like I'm writting a personals add, so I'm going to stop here. I look forward to our conversations. Jillian :lol:
  4. WOW!! Thanks everyone. I have a feeling, if I ever get this done, I will be saying "I couldn't have done it without you all!" What great info. I just need a little clarification on a few things and then I am off to sort through and label as advised. First, Some people have mentioned using shallac, is this instead of a paint primer or in addition too? Can you stain over shallac? And, I am hearing about wood filler, for someone who knows nothing, what will i be using it for? What do you mean you scribe floorboards and then stain? This sounds like a neat idea, can you ellaborate? Also, do you use the "rubbing" technique for staining everything or just the shingles? Lastly, you use "clear sanding sealer" as primer if your not staining? So if I prime before the house is assembled, I am risking warping? I am confused. :lol: One last thing, If I decide I am going to go all out and electrify, do I need to do anything special with the assembly or can I just decide after it is together? Thank you SOOOO much
  5. Hello all, So glad to have found this site, because boy do I have a lot of questions. I just decided to build a dollhouse for my mother, as she has always wanted one. After much reading, I have decided my goal of a Mother's Day gift is a bit lofty and at this point am hoping to have it finished by her birthday in November. To be honest, I am wishing I could just wrap the box the kit came in and say good luck! :lol: But . . . hark I love her too much!! And, I know she would hate putting it together. She is much more into the decorating. I have a feeling that I will in fact enjoy it, I have always been sort of crafty. I just have to get past my anxiety about it. You all have made such beautiful creations, I just can't imagine mine could turn out so well. I will try my hardest though. I appreciate any advice you could give. So, down to business: 1) Is it reasonable to think I can completely assemble the dollhouse and my mother could then paint, wallpaper and decorate herself? Will she be able to do it after it is completed or is it something that really needs to be done as you go? Should I at least stain the stairs and shingles before applying them? 2) On the same note, should I prime all the pieces front and back before I put it together so she will have an easier time painting? What should I use for primer? I have read so many things I am just a bit overwhelmed. 3) I am planning a trip to the hardware and craft stores. What are the most vital things I will need, besides glue? The glue decision has even been difficult. I think tacky glue sounds good, I will try that first. OK, I'll stop here for now. Thank you so much (my Mom thanks you too, but she doesn't know it yet.) Jillian