• Rank

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience One
  • Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Meris
  1. Exterior II: courtyards

I enjoyed the pictures of the casita stove so much. Thanks for posting them. I have been absolutely stuck on what to do with the dollhouse kitchen I am working on. I haven't liked anything I have tried with it and have been browsing around trying to find some new idea that might kickstart the whole mess a better direction. Hmmm maybe a separate outdoor summer kitchen... I too love the colors you picked for this.
  2. I finally figured it out!

Good for you! Stairs can be hard to get right. 
  3. What would be your dream dollhouse?

Yes if it just sat on the base and could be lifted off then the house would still fit through the door, The table could fold, and you could turn the base sideways or something to get it to fit through the door also. Hmmm might work. I will have to think more on this. A dramatic seaside setting might be a possibility.  Thanks Kelly
  4. A bit of eye candy

I saw that first house, or one very like it for the first time about a year after I started with minis.  I love those paneled rooms, especially the sitting room. I am quite the history buff and have always loved old houses.  Oh, the eye candy and the realistic imagined little worlds miniaturists create. Singing Calgon, take me awaaay...  
  5. Thank you so much for the article on the Ashtonbrook dollhouse. Like you I have always loved the pictures of the outside of that dollhouse and wondered. I never saw the back or inside and like you I was surprised because it was not what I expected.

1. Mid-life madness

Yay, I'm glad I am not alone in always wondering about the house. Pinterest  was no help in finding out any information.....

6. What would be your dream dollhouse?

And my punctuation is still so wrong...
  7. What would be your dream dollhouse?

For me it is sort of hard to know what I will fall in love with in advance. I have been through a number of dollhouses, but I think I am going to stick with the Shadow Cliff I just got. It was prebuilt, pre-decorated, preloved. Whoever decorated the inside did a fantastic job of making a period Victorian house. When I was growing up we owned an island in British Columbia. This is not as unusual as it would be today. I am old and back then that area was considered wet, wild and difficult to get to. In other words, tent camping vacation country and sort of undesirable. Now of course it is resort territory and even if we still owned the island (which we don't) we couldn't even begin to pay taxes on it. But it was, and always will be, home to me, and I find myself drawn to dramatic coastlines, in my real life and my mini one. So I look at some of the model train videos, there is one especially that I love-(Troels Kirk videos Coast Line RR ) maybe Swedish or something. He has made a fishing village with a wild shoreline that the train goes by, and a bay with docks (the water is especially good) it is all so real... I think if money and space were no object I would get a big ping pong table or something and take my Shadow Cliff which- now that I think about it, is a pretty accurate representation of the lighthouse keepers house one island over (she was a family friend when I was small)- and I would have a spectacular setting added to that. There would be tall fir and steep rugged cliffs dropping to a wild sea, a small but protected piece of sand beach with tumbled and silvered driftwood at the end. A little sailing dinghy, paths up through berry vines filled with ripe blackberries... could take a years and years, and skills I would still need to acquire, but there you have it.
  8. Video about Delph Miniatures creator

Thanks Carrie. I enjoyed watching this. I have seen some of their stuff and somehow I always assumed Delph Miniatures was a big company. What a great family business.
  9. Kitchen Cabinet Parts

You are doing such a great job with this. I am sure enjoying following along.
  10. So I answered an ad on Craigslist.......

Oh yes you can find replacement parts for that porch. First I would sort through what you already have in case you have them already.  If not, post here and see if someone has an exact match for those posts/trim they might sell you.  Also contact Real Good Toys, they carry replacement parts, are pleasant to talk to, and are helpful and kind. It is totally possible if no one has an exact match to just redo all the posts. 
  11. How do you pare down a collection?

What a beautiful house. I love the landscaped yard. Is that a little sheep at the end of the yard?    
  12. Of course I would leave it unpainted, but we all know that. I have tried the above method for fixing warp also, sometimes weighting it for longer periods and adding volumes to the stack as the curve flattens over a period of days. I got mixed results. if you can't fix the warp maybe could you redo (replicate) the door with a different piece of wood and reusing the trim? Back again to paint. I remember something in a discussion of a similar finely detailed house where someone (Emily's post?) decided to paint the house all white and let the shadows accent the trim.  The detail was such that it took an expert paint job to improve rather than detract from the architectural beauty of the dollhouse. I remember it because I was so impressed by the detail of the house they were talking about. The all wood look is kind of like all white, sort of, maybe. You posted while I was thinking...so old so slow.. and then I have to type. That is the house. So pretty all white and so breathtakingly pretty. 
  13. The shipping cost more than the house but I wanted this dollhouse so badly. I couldn't believe what I saw those houses sell for. A couple went for a lot of money, but they were truly collectors items, and several very nice houses didn't bring much of a price at all. I wonder if anyone else from here got one. I kind of liked the Robin Betterly bed and breakfast and a couple of others. A little green cottage, and the cabin with the stream (and little orange water snake). I think the pictures are still up if you search EBETH under dollhouse finished sales. For me this was the ONE  so I didn't pay much attention to the others at the time, but I looked at the photos of the other houses after the auction. I checked out their interiors and things as entertainment while I waited nervously for this one to ship. 
  14. Kelly, yes this is the one and I got a fantastic deal. I have been sweating over the shipping since the auction. it is one thing to buy it, another entirely to receive it shipped from an auction cross country in good shape. I finally got it today. it had suffered some minor trim damage before I bought it and during shipping a little more broke. Some of the ridgeline, the rest of the second story porch rail. a couple more shingles and another piece of lattice, but all in all nothing that I can't fix pretty easily. I am over the moon happy, I love the way this is done inside. 
  15. So I had a dollhouse, a nice one. It was unusual and lovely but full size and huge. I kept looking at it. trying to start in. I would go past it and stare. haunted this forum and others for ideas. It was ready to paint, but the wood looked so lovely I couldn't bring myself to paint it. I bought wallpaper and then didn't like it. fixed a couple of broken windows, some porch posts, a stair spindle, looked at it some more. Couldn't commit to changing anything.  Finally I decided It just wasn't meant for me. I really wanted fully enclosed. So off it went to someone who wanted it more. I built a couple of half scale kits, decided to call it quits, got rid of most all of my supplies...and a Shadow Cliff found me. It was on an auction site and I never frequent those. It had to be shipped and good luck with that. But I had to have it, I have wanted one forever...and now it is mine. truly a thing of great beauty, so much for giving up dollhouses. I know I have seen it before, maybe somewhere on this forum and I would love to know more about it if anyone wants to share. So anyway I am back. Again. Sigh. and broke. And buying furniture kits and supplies all over again.  Just try to give up this hobby... I tried to post a picture but I don't know if it worked.