About Leetie Buttons

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Alita

Recent Profile Visitors

292 profile views
  1. I know I'm late to this party, but I just had to throw in a few cents' worth about scale. I am such a bug about having things "match," but little kids Just. Don't. Care. The Calico Critters per their furniture made by Sylvanian (as I measured and calculated) are 1/19. Supposedly Polly Pocket works really well with their houses and furnishings if you wanted humans rather than creatures. The critters themselves are so lumpy and oddly distorted that I don't think you can claim any particular scale at all for them. They are big for 1/24, and look odd with those accessories. They are sort of lumpy for 1/12, and will fall off furnishings, even while looking oddly undersized. (But how tall should an anthropomorphized cat be, anyway?) Target makes knock-off creatures called Lil Woodzeez whose furniture is similarly widened and shortened and works well. I would point out that my charge plays with Barbie, Critters, Playmobil, Lego, and an odd assortment of figures all in the same rooms, and is constantly thrilled. Whilst I cringe every time a tiny person eats an apple bigger than their head, LOL! I think the most important thing you can do here is make sure everything is sturdy, and put away anything that has to be used "gently" until every kid who ever comes near it understands what careful handling means. It's not worth hovering anxiously or mourning when things are ruined by regular play. And for kids, isn't play the point? I work endlessly to distinguish between "collect" and "play" for my 4 1/2-year-old friend, and it's an uphill battle! Sometimes very difficult to explain the difference for people who don't collect miniatures, too… : )
  2. Hi, everybody! I'm 58, live in Chapel Hill, and would love someone to do miniatures/crafting with if anyone's nearby. I have been fascinated with all things small my entire life. However there's been a loooong hiatus from dolls with no projects while I was busy being a grown-up. I am finally nannying a kid who enjoys dollhouses! We have made tons of stuff for her already, and it has reignited my fire. So sad that I have waited until my vision is going and I have arthritis in my hands before I got back to this! I love American Girls, but their stuff tends to be big. I also enjoy working in 1/6 scale. I've never done anything in 1/12 scale, and can't wait to start a dollhouse. But my true love has always been 1/24 scale. Luckily, as we work in that a lot because Vivi loves her Playmobil! It's delightful because you can make so many rooms that fit in such a small space. All the dollhouses I've ever made have been cardboard or made on bookshelves. That works great for a kid, but I think it's MY turn to have a dollhouse. I don't know whether it will be a kit or I will build something myself. I have been browsing miniatures boards and Greenleaf while I mull it over. It will be a while yet. Here's to miniatures! [tiny clink]