• Last visited

3 Neutral

About MooiGray

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. The Quick Dry is definitely not wet and runny! So you could have that as an option, too. The glue can definitely get on your iron, though. I recommend another layer of fabric between your iron and what you're working on. I hadn't thought about the tape! Good thinking. I completed my first quilt top, and now that I'm figuring out how to work with the Quick Dry stuff, I definitely like the flexible result better than the regular Fabric Fusion.
  2. MooiGray

Mini Quilts

3. I have now tried out using regular Fabric Fusion. It applies far more easily, since it's more runny than gooey. However, it doesn't stick that well, and I found I had to reapply the glue to areas where it wasn't holding the fabric together at all. As it's drying, my impression is that it's going to end up a lot stiffer than the quick dry stuff, which is definitely flexible. Still waiting to see on how visible it is once dry. I'm working only with cotton, FYI. wormwoodz: If you end up trying the Flexible Stretchable, I'd love to hear what your experience with it is. I'm gonna guess it's like the Quick Dry stuff, where the dried result is kind of like flexible, rubbery plastic gum.
  4. Some of the Aleene's fabric glues are meant for temporary hold. The permanent fabric glue Fabric Fusion and the Quick Dry ones are both okay to wash, by the way. The regular Fabric Fusion says to wait 48 hours before you can wash cold, and the Quick Dry Fabric Fusion says to wait 24 hours. I'm going to try out the regular one today. The Quick Dry one is honestly like working with glue gun glue, except without having the help of the glue gun. Strings everywhere! It holds the fabric very nicely (though you can apparently over-apply and reduce the adhesion power), but I honestly have never cursed this much using glue, ever. :-D I don't know about the Aleene's Stop Fraying, but I can tell you Fray Check makes the fabric stiffer.
  5. This is my first time using this glue. The glue comes out gummy, stringy, like glue that's already partially through the drying process. This makes it a giant pain to work with. I put down a blob and apply the glue with a needle and can do about four lines of that before the glue is so gummy I can't spread it past moving a blob around anymore. Tacky glue is much more pleasant. That said, the glued area feels wonderful. A lot less stiff than with tacky glue, which is not that stiff at all. I'm going to try out using the non-Quick Dry version, but I was wondering if maybe I just had a bad bottle? Has anyone used this where it's actually, you know, *wet*? :-)
  6. *laugh* + aww at the same time at your story, Kelly. (Also, love that teeny mouse in your signature!) Me, I'm borrowing a friend's Silhouette Cameo machine and trying out cutting fabric with it using freezer paper instead of fusible lining. It will hopefully save me a *lot* of tedious cutting of tiny squares and rectangles for my mini quilting.
  7. Congratulations! It's amazing to see how different everyone's take is. I'm super impressed by the incredibly detailed work, and by the vision!
  8. Thanks for the tips, guys! And the kind words about the baskets. I look at how much work went into them and then look at what real life coiled baskets cost, and I boggle at how cheap they are. And yeah, the "undo" function in computer programs would be awesome in real life. As would save games! Ha.
  9. Ohmigosh, that picture turned out way bigger than I planned. Can't edit it again to fix it. Sorry!
  10. I'm a long-time lurker of these forums (and mini blogs, and mini YouTube channels), but now that I'm finally dipping my toes back into making miniatures I thought I might actually join in. For a good while I thought I didn't want to devote the space to this hobby, and I channeled my thing-making and decorating desires into The Sims 3, but while that was great fun there's just something extremely satisfying about actually making physical, real things. I've made a bunch of coiled baskets, and a few miscellaneous this and thats, but I'm now starting on some miniature quilts, which so far I'm having great fun with. My slant is modern, but I appreciate all kinds. Hope to encounter more of you on the forums, and if anyone knows of any mini stuff going on in Montgomery County, MD, I'd love to hear about it. P.S. "Mooi" means beautiful in Dutch (I'm originally from The Netherlands), and is pronounced like this.