Mid-life madness

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Mid-life madness

1. Welcome Mark I love the color and the siding. You have done a beautiful job.
  2. The double hung windows are very confusing at first. In the Orchid instructions step #7 has good detailed info. Part of the interior and exterior walls of the house are used as the sash. @fovhas a link for this, but I can't find it. She will chime in when she has a chance. 7. Lay aside all glued windows and allow to dry. B) ASSEMBLY OF GLUED WINDOW SASHES AND CASINGS TO HOUSE NOTE: To achieve the “double hung” effect, part of the house structure itself becomes one half of the window sash. Therefore, that portion of the wood surrounding the window opening, both interior and exterior, should be finished as the sashes have been (i.e., paint or stain) before gluing the sash in place.
  3. It is so fun to build your house in your mind as you fall off to sleep! I think doing the floors first is an excellent thought. The rest of it may change as you go so try to be flexible. The only thing I can add is that I do the windows and exterior trim at the end.
  4. If you have a Harbor Freight tools around your town, you might want to take a look. Although their tools are not the highest quality for professional construction, I have found them great for miniature work. You may want to consider a band saw or scroll saw.
  5. YEP! I have made a few dolls of darker ethnicity.... I saw a documentary about The National Negro Doll company in Nashville (I have family there) it was a company that made dolls of color for little girls it really interested. I found, in miniature, it is hard to find pretty dolls of color that aren't in some servant type of roll. I think it is an untapped market.
  6. Miami here we come! Such a fun piece.
  7. Hi Julie, They come up on eBay from time to time. Set a search alert at eBay so you can get a notification when one is listed.
  8. I am sorry Carmen. I have learned my lesson and will keep my comments to myself. I apologize for hurting you.
  9. Such a sweet house unfortunately, I don't think the color scheme is doing that house any favors.
  10. I posted one last week and it went for $130......I wonder if the buyer reneged or if there were 2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224778469016?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200708143445%26meid%3D97b210f417b846c99f0497e8f3f9ff0d%26pid%3D101251%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D224778469016%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DPersonalizedTopicsV2WithMoreCoviewRecall&_trksid=p2380057.c101251.m47269&_trkparms=pageci%3A5e1cc8df-735d-11ec-9c53-12fe8194b6cc|parentrq%3A4c79831e17e0aaf609c481a2ffd5aaf2|iid%3A1
  11. C'est adorable. Welcome to the group Jacqueline. Are you going to build anymore houses?
  12. Way to repurpose!!! This turned out so sophisticated. Good job.
  13. Don't give up! Go back and reread the introductory instructions, the R & P are explained right there. Flush means something is completely level with something else. ****This nice blog will help you as she post pictures of her building as she goes https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-beacon-hill-dollhouse-blog.html The Beacon Hill is a challenging house for a an experienced builder, so don't let it discourage you! And, don't throw it in the trash! You can do it! Make the most of it and expect that you will make mistakes, which you can fix. Good luck!
  14. Theoretically you could....but The size of pieces is limited. .....As long as a piece fits onto the cutting mat it could be cut. Your wood thickness might not be strong enough depending on the size of the house. Are you familiar with Design Space from Cricut?
  15. I used my Cri-cut to cut vinyl to make the window painting and gears behind my doll. It was tedious but it does make a great window.
  16. From the album: Porcelain dolls

This is Journey standing infront of my Steampunk travel agency....still a work in progress.