About lainakay

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Darlaina

Recent Profile Visitors

629 profile views
  1. Ha! Yes! Since there are five or less years between each child, I've been home with a baby/toddler/preschooler for eighteen years now! It will be so strange to send my last to kindergarten in three years and have the house to myself for a couple hours a day! I'm hoping I'll have lots of time for hobbies! We're still trying to figure out what to do with the windows! I've emailed Dolls House Workshop but have only received a confirmation email in return. I'm now thinking maybe we'll just buy some wide windows to replace the originals, then we could get all the same for front and back. I'm a little sad to do that as the originals, though not realistic, have a certain charm. I'm also worried about cutting into the MDF on the front of the house. Yikes! Decisions, decisions. Waiting for our weather to get nicer so we can finish priming everything and get moving on this project!
  2. Thanks! Good idea! I've pinned some tutorials for making my own furniture. That will definitely help!
  3. No, we don't have the water wheel. I never even saw it available anywhere when I bought the house. I think they were phasing out the house, it is now discontinued. We're going for a simple traditional house but stone walls would've been a nice touch with the water wheel! It's going to be fun to do these with my kids and I'm excited to get a collection of houses going! My next daughter in line wants to make a bakery, we're already pinning ideas. So much fun stuff out there!
  4. Hello there! I'm new here and new to building dolls houses. I love design -- graphic, interior and architectural -- and I love miniature things. What better way to combine these interests than dolls houses?! I'm a busy mom to five children, ages 2 through 18, so there's not a lot of time for hobbies but seven years ago I bought my oldest daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. I love the idea of front-opening dolls houses for the dust free aspect and the ease of display. At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage where it stayed through another move and the birth of my last baby. Life is hectic with five kids at home and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it and have so many ideas. We want to add windows to the back and there are some challenges, like low ceilings and unusually proportioned windows and door, but we're looking forward to making it work and building together. I'm so glad to have found this forum, so much inspiration and know-how will certainly come in handy! My younger daughters have already picked out the dolls houses they want me to build with them so there will be lots of building going on around here. I'd better get to work!
  5. I'm new to forums, too! I guess I missed the Newcomers' Forum. I'll go find it. : ) I'm brand new here, as of yesterday. I have always loved the British-style dolls houses. I think it's so smart that they close up and keep the dust out. Plus, I like the idea that they can be displayed more simply with the pretty front facing out. That said, I've always just admired them from afar. About seven years ago I bought my daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage. I've got five kids (ages 2 through 18) so life is hectic and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it with the help of my mechanically-inclined son. We really would like to add windows to the back so I'm looking into that as well. The windows that came with the house are specific to the house so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time hunting for windows to match/coordinate. We may need to just replace all the windows with something more readily available. There are some other issues with this particular dolls house, the ceilings are low and there's not much architectural detail but we're looking forward to making it work and building our first house together! Sorry for the long, not very helpful comment but I look forward to seeing what you do if you decide to purchase a British-style dolls house!
  6. I'm brand new here, as of yesterday. I have always loved the British-style dolls houses. I think it's so smart that they close up and keep the dust out. Plus, I like the idea that they can be displayed more simply with the pretty front facing out. That said, I've always just admired them from afar. About seven years ago I bought my daughter The Miller's Cottage from The Dolls House Workshop. At the time I spent days poring over British websites trying to find one that would ship without charging as much for shipping as for the dolls house. I finally came across an importer who had the Miller's Cottage available reasonably. Soon after receiving it we moved and the kit was put in storage. I've got five kids (ages 2 through 18) so life is hectic and we finally just got around to pulling the kit out last week. My daughter and I are so excited to start working on it with the help of my mechanically-inclined son. We really would like to add windows to the back so I'm looking into that as well. The windows that came with the house are specific to the house so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time hunting for windows to match/coordinate. We may need to just replace all the windows with something more readily available. There are some other issues with this particular dolls house, the ceilings are low and there's not much architectural detail but we're looking forward to making it work and building our first house together! Sorry for the long, not very helpful comment but I look forward to seeing what you do if you decide to purchase a British-style dolls house!
  7. I'm new to the forum and came across this album. I am so in love with this little house! It's perfection. Are there more pictures of the finished interior somewhere? I'm dying to see what you did with the built-ins in the bedroom. And I'd love to see the finished tiles in the bathroom. And... I just can't get enough.