2 Neutral

About Miss Kitty

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Gayle

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Anyone in SE Michigan or surrounding area, there's an awesome deal on CL: https://jxn.craigslist.org/bab/6065955991.html Listed 23 hrs ago.
  2. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm not hung up on making it brick. I can build a Willow with a brick exterior (listen to me planning all of these builds when I haven't even completed construction of my first one!) My grandparents' house was built in 1941 and was a brick Colonial, and I'd like to recreate it at some point. I love the Willow because it has an upstairs hall for the staircase, but it doesn't appear to have room for a dining room; the Dura Craft Colonial looks like it has a dining room, but I would need to change the stairs to achieve a similar upstairs hall. (I hate when the staircase ends in a bedroom (or worse - a bathroom) because that doesn't happen in "real life," which is why I am changing the stairway in the Glencroft. that I'm currently working on.)
  3. Do the channels make moving walls more difficult? And does "siding the house as you build it" mean I can't substitute another exterior, such as brick?
  4. Has anyone built a Dura-Craft Colonial CH-300? I'm considering buying a kit from EBay. I've done a couple of searches in the Forum and Galleries and haven't found many references.
  5. Not only am I adding the addition, I also decided to reroute the stairs slightly, which required removing the upstairs fireplace. I'll take some pictures this weekend.
  6. I have developed an interest in all things "early mid-century" (thirties through fifties), but don't have the room or the resources to collect life size artifacts. I stumbled across vintage dollhouse toy furniture on EBay and thought a dollhouse would be a fun way to indulge my interest without completely remodeling my house. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that dollhouse kits are a different scale from most of the toy furniture! But then I discovered Strombecker, who made nicely-detailed toy furniture in the early thirties in one inch scale, and also in the forties. I picked the Glencroft for my first house because of the stairs, and because Tudor Revival was popular in the 30s and 40s. I didn't discover this forum until I had almost completed the primary construction, which was probably a good thing - fools go where angels fear to tread... I have now decided to attach a Primrose to the Glencroft, which means filling in some windows and altering the half timber trim. I have no idea how that will come out. And at this rate, the furnishings will remain in their box for quite a while yet!
  7. Thanks for all of your comments. I'm actually attaching the Primrose to a Glencroft. My original plan was to modify the Primrose to add a taller second floor, but after mocking it up in cardboard, I realized I don't yet have the skill to achieve my vision, so I have altered my vision a bit. The Primrose will be attached to the right side and will be the kitchen, the dining room will be the narrow room, and I have enlarged the door between the two rooms into an arch so they are connected but still separate. I didn't like the stairs ending in the bedroom, which is why I wanted a second floor in the Primrose, but have resigned myself to that arrangement. I didn't find this forum until after I had finished most of the construction, but I've learned a lot from it now that I've found it!
  8. Any recommendations or best practices for attaching the Primrose to another building? Or is there a discussion thread that addresses this?