Thimble Hall

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Thimble Hall

1. I have the shell of mine completely built but am not happy with the entrance. I don't like the fact that you have to remove the front piece before you can open the lower doors to the basement so I am thinking of changing it by doing away with the entrance stairs.and making the basement the main entrance at ground level.I ,would then add another patio to the main part higher up so the doll folks could walk out.I have been looking at it all day. I know what I want to do but would have to unglue some parts..ggrhh, so not sure if I will or not. I didn't do a dry fit, I should have as I would have found the problem earlier but it would not be very easy to fix now I think. If you are not gpoing to do the baement none of what I said would matter. I have also thought of somehow blending the basement with the main house by removing the house plinth.As you can see I am very unsure and really wished I had done that dryfit. Holly is so right. I have seen a picture of it done without the front piece, then the stairs were rerouted.I will try and find it. Anyway, good luck, it is good to see someone doing this house it is very big, as tall as me almost so lots of work. Have you decided what outside finishes you are planning yet. Keep in touch. XX Jeannine
  2. Holly, I just got back with my final results and I have the dry type.The Dr said there is no treatment but it is slow to progress and there is no reason why I shouldn't have my cataract surgeries as it is the wet version which would have prevented it. So just waiting now for the records to get passed along. to the surgeon.I have lost my June 17th date but the surgeons receptonist has pencilled in a provisional July date for me..so happy endings.. I think. Hopefully nothing can go wrong now. What a week. Victorianna's coming along nicely, built the towers last night.
  3. Thanks Holly, I tried that today but they said the Dr would explain.. I have a call into the 1st one I saw who was my husbands eye Dr and he is phoning me back tomprrow . He is getting all the info. He is very nice and will take the time I think. I got the dye test today and should have the results of that on Wednesday, hopefully I will know then just what I have. Once I know that I can cope.. gee what a run a round though...still we move on.
  4. Holly, I am a procastinator when it comes to health.I have been wearing magnifiers for some time, getting stronger all the time but my left eye has got considerably worse over the last few months. The first DR said I had cataracts , the second one said I had cataracts but I also had it was wet macular disease and had bleeding at the back of my left eye which made it the priority, then he sent me for injections in the eye and the 3rd Dr sais he saw no signs of wet macular disease or bleeding. he said it may be dry macular.The dye job this afternoon should diagnose what it is.He also said he suspected I had had it some time as I had not had an eye test in more than 10 years. So far everyone is correcting the one before and it is most frustrating.I know nothing about this disease and so far the 2 doctors who brought it up don't seem to have the time to explain it. I guess that will come on Wednesday. Anyway, back to houses.. as I was bored last night so I started on my Victoriannas. I have two.I got a lot of the basic shelsl done on both, they seemed easy to put together so I got on well. Next bit is wallpapering so have stopped till tonight.
  5. I saw my eys doctor r prior to surgery in 3 weeks yesterday and it appears there is something else wr[ong with my yes and they will not operate.I am going tomorrow to have a dye in an arm which may be able to answer the questiion as to what it is.. so another blow..I am stopping work on the older Fairfueld and giving i tto a friend,I have a house standing b y that I wanted to for a Chrustmas house originally so am switching to it. It seems I am going to be losing some sight so I am not wasting time on something I intended giving away when finished. Gutted right now and very sad
  6. I am no expert but coincidentally I wall papered 2 rooms in my house just a couple of days ago. Without thinking I started the first room with Aillens tacky glue whuch I was using to build, it worked just fine.I noticed my mistake half way through but finished it as I started. I did the 2nd room in wall paper paste and I found the paper harder to work with, it seemeds saturated.I got it on just fine, no bubble but it was harder to do. I used the same brand of wallpapers, they were a little stiff. Anyway for what it is worth I accidentaly did a comparison.
  7. Muriel if you are reading this,you are my Farifield guru right now. Still trying to decide what to do with the spare Fairfield and am curious. Did you use the original staircase from the kit.I built one yesterday and it is sure different.I can see it in a Christmas house all dripping with garlands. Wondering what you have done with yours.Still not sure what to do with the house itself though. I am stuck on the memory house as am waiting for stuff to come that is delayed from the UK so switching to the old one for a bit. I am thinking about a working mans boarding house right now, with red flannel underwear hanging out of a drawer etc .Run my 2 sisters 1930 ish. Sort of shabby but very clean.Might be fun to do.It might be better in a ful size house though.
  8. Answer came back this am and yes she can make me the plant
  9. I have sent an e mail to SDK to see if they can do me a plain green rubber plant,but had a chance to look at all her plants and I could not believe my eyes when I saw she had 1/24 scale snowdrops.They played such a big part in my childhood, she also had the lilacs I needed, so a million thanks to you for this wondrous link.My memory house thanks you too!! My Mum will be up there tearing up about now I think.
  10. Oh gee, thank you again for this link,I finally got the time to search her site and now have several 1/24 things on the way. 2 fireplaces, with grates and coals, several roses and several trims.
  11. Well today things are looking up.The eye Dr pulled out all the stops for me.I have cataract surgery booked for the first week in June,, seeing the surgeion for a chat next week, iron by infusion starts tmorrow so maybe things will be on a better keel shortly...meanwhile I got the ground floor of my house finished.
  12. Thank you Muriel, I may just do that.It may be a Christmas house. I am not copying. I have a house in progress that is a dressmakers mouse house and I am not keen on spooky ones, a fairy one maye but again that would take a lot of searching for things..so some sort of Christmassy house is most probable.Today I have been laying mahogony wood strip floors and a few bits and pieces so am moving forward but I may shelve it till thr special fireplaces I have ordered arrive. Thank you for your support again XX Jeannine
  13. Sorry I missed this.Thank you fr the info re painting the sofa,.It has arrived and is a nice color so I may just dedorate it,.Still not certain though about geting the Hanna mini set so waiting to decide.. My electrical kit finally arrived yesterday, the tape one I bought by mistake,I read the booklet cover t cover but I know I can't do it.My husband was an electrical engineer so I never had to do anything even remotely electrical and the idea of pounding anything sdares me. I think I will have to buy more and stick to the round wire which seems more like regulatr electricity. Maybe if I felt well I could tackle it but right now it seems overwhelming. Allthe dry building is down and I am starting to bilid it up now. I only do a little each day as I am still so tired but I am making progress. I decorated the bathroom, then ripped it out as it just wasn't what I had envisioned.What a negatative post..sorry,I guess I am struggling..but determined . My lovely Stringer furniture arrived and it is amazing.Thanks to all of you I have found some of the pieces I need too which is great. I even found a lilac tree. I still haven't decided what to do with the second Fairfield.I think that may be easier as it doesn;t have to be so exact. Christmas house maybe..I think I could have fun with that. Thank you all for the encouragement and to Muriel especially as watching her has egged me on..thank you Muriel. I have realised that I seem to find it easier to work on a regular size house, funny really as I love the finished looks of the half size Oh I need to re polarise myself I think, I sound depressed when I read this back. I am not by the way but I will admit to being frustrtaed..
  14. Just a thought, but for rainbow yarn that is thin I would get some very fine 1ply, I knit a lot in it .Jamiseon and Smith make a pure wool.Over in Shetland,Then I would use appropriate colors of dye and simple paint the yarn with it .If you had it round say a cookie sheet to hold it snug it would work. Let one color dry before adding the next. I have done this for tiny doll clothes and it works remarkably well. You will find the same thickness of yarn on cones in acrylic, it works too but doesn;t take the dye so easily. As it is something you will not be wearing or wearing it should work out for your needs. J& S is extremely fine yarn. I have a collection of 1950 Rosebud thumbsucker dolls that I dress in it and as I am picky I insist the scale of the clothes is correct for the doll and this yarn does what I want it ti do. Just a thought
  15. I am not sure what happened there, halway through typing I lost my page and I see the video shows not the link, anyway to repeat, I bought 3 scales 1/12 1/24 1/48of stencils,and three types ,cobblestone,patio stone and bricks on Etsy from Mini Minutia , they came with a brochure shwoing how to use then and a you tube link. she suggests Bromley stuff but it is exoensive to ship so another suggestion is Sanded grout from the hardware store, it apparently comes in many colors..and also spackle is a sugestion,hope this is of some use to you..sorry for the mix up.
  16. I bought some stencils for cobbletone,patio stone, and bricks in three scales off Etsy a couple of weeks ago.The seller was Miniminutia.They came with full instructions for using them plus there is a link on the brochure for a youtube video may
  17. Quite a site, perhaps not so much for my memory house but great for my 1'12th Georgian that is at the shell stage..thank you so much for thst.
  18. I did send a PM to one person re a rubber tree but I think it was one I found on the net not the link from above.. no reply yet
  19. Thank you, there are some nice fireplaces there.Certainly some to order. The rubber tree doesn't look right though, I have never seen one with white on it/ and I am only familiar with the solid green one I wonder of there are variations.
  20. Maybe someone has seen them. I am looking for a few 1/24th scale items for my memory house. Rubber tree plant Copper bed warmer Chess set.. I think I can make the table but ideas for the chess pieces would be very welcome. A bathroom radiator Ceiling roses.. and some ceiling paper. I have a some ceiling papers which are quite commion but have seen pictures in houses of others and can;t find them. A couple of fireplaces, good quality.I have a few but I think there are nicer ones out there but have had no luck finding them. Thank you all in advance XX Jeannine
  21. Oh thank you so much, I will change the plugs to smaller ones if need be.. you are a super ;ot you know..thank you again XX Jeannine
  22. Hi gang, a few years ago I bought a huge amount of light fittings in a clearance sale in the UK. In my stash, not including the sale ones I have some 1/12th and some 1/24 th, both are marked with scale on the packets. The sale ones are not and they are a bit of a mystery to me. Size wise, they look just like the 24th scale but... when I look at the plugs on my regular lights, the 1/12th plugs are clearly twice the size of the 1/24th and the thickness of the wire is less on the 1/24th, this is what I would expect to see yet the unmarked ones have the same size plugs as the 1/12th lights even though the lights themselves are smaller than 1/12th . It is very obvious on the floor and table lights. So I guess I am asking why do they have bigger plugs. I really don't know how to use these and am most confused. They were extremely cheap although they look the same quality as my others but could they be wired wrong and that is why they were on sale ???