Thimble Hall

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Thimble Hall

1. yep but I can't work in them, I can;t use latex anyway s I have a real bad leatex allergy.It is mostly splinters, some of this house had very crumbly wood, much mote than the last one so have to be careful at the ends as it crumbles as I sand it.. No problem,. I can work on some curatians or something for a few days. It was all dry fitted, walls changed to my liking, then taken down nd the gluing begun sio a good time to rest it for a few days.
  2. WELL i HAE HD TO TAKE A BREAK FROM BUILDING MY HOUSE.THE WOOD DUST REALLY GOT TO ME TODAY BU THE MAIN THING WAS MY FINGERS ARE ALL SORE AND CHIPPED, IME BLEEDING SO i AM SOAKING IN CREAM, WITH WHITE GLOVES ON, HOPEFUULY THE CRACKING ETC WILL GO AWAY AFTER A FEW DAYS OF THIS CREAM AND GLOVE TREATMENT. sORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS, TOO TIRED AND SORE TO RE WRITE IT
  3. White for me too . I have just removed all the dry build tape fromm ine after erectimg a couple of extra rooms etc having a couple of days off as I am very very tired right now, then have to decide what to do first. I have two sets of Fairfeld plans, pm me your address Muriel.
  4. Thank you all, I have no one to blame but myself for putting it off and I have heard good things from several folks about it.The surgeon chosen is the cream of the crop so I think all will be well. I knew I had been struggling as my painting was getting bad despite the magnifiers so I am going to look fiorward to to all inds of good things. Jackie your planned meal sounds delicious, have a super day, I envy you.What is a peanut butter egg please?
  5. I just got back from having an eye test which I have put off for a long time years actually. I don't have glasses but do use magnifiers and I guess I am the master of procastination. So.. I have cataracts in both eyes, one bad and one just starting to go.I think I was expecting it but I just want to swear or kick the cat (just kidding) So now waiting for appointment with an eye surgeon. Regular waiting times here are a joke so I have opted to go private, still a waiting list but hopefully not too long. Grrrhh!!
  6. Watching you with interest and envy,I am much much slower than you. The kitchen looks very pristine and will fit just perfectl, are you leaving it white? I ove the way you casually say "just need to do te skirting boards,windows and doors in the bottom two floors" that is a years worth to me probably!! Soon you will be decorating your tree and wrapping parcels.. what fun!!
  7. Got my appointments for my IV iron in a couple of weeks a few bags over a few days,so maybe some of this fatigue may go away and I can do more on my houses and I am finally going to get an eye test..so that may meake life easier too as cheap magnifiers are probably not the best way to go.Gee I may be bouncing around like a spring chicken.
  8. Mine has the grooves, they are not very deep and not easy to see, take a flashlight/torch and look close on the floors not the ceilings
  9. Welcome., I too hqve a Grosvenpr hall on the go, I had it sent over frm the Uk a few years ago. house and basement. I have the shell all erected and was workimg on the stairs and doors staining when I took a break from it. I intend to keep to the GEORGIAN style and carry through wth the decor.I think I am putting some staff quarters in the basement. Good luck with yours. XX Jeannine
  10. Update.. I have the whole house dry fitted together, a couple of new walls built and so on. I am struggling a bit as the wood bothers me a lot especially if it touches my forearms, my fingers are sore ..to much scalpel work I think..but having got all the negative stuff off my mind the postive is I am making headway,still a few architectural things to ponder but.. oh boy .The mail brought me some lovely things yesterday.It amazes me when I look at this Bespaq stuff how they do it. . I got a dining room suite, a pump organ and chair, a harp, a three mirrored dresser and chair, wardrobe.. it is all very nice. I think I have given up on the Victorian living room suite. Mums house was all antique but she never had those sorts of sofas etc. She had big rounded comfy ones with Sanderson chintz loose covers on them. Yesterday I found a set that was ideal for size and shape, it was very nice but in a seafoam green..I hate green.So the plan is to attempt to make suitable loose covers for it, or I will dress it up with cushions ,antimacassaas (sorry spelt wrong) and lace trimmed arm sleeves. The whole color scheme will have to change now so I am glad I didn't start my curtains..not sure wat to do here. Unsure what to do for color round green other than cream or peach which again I hate. I am still puzzling about floor tile colors in my kitchen as the mid blue and cream may not look as good with the dark wood as the white kitchen set I had planned. I am thinking red..or terracotta with some deeper blue in but it hasn't clicked in my head yet May be something like the picture below but without the heavy border. Ideas gratefully welcomed at this point. Well off to have a cuppa and pick a few more splinters from my fingers. One question.. I am noticing that the Woodworks doors that I bought seem to be made for thicker walls, the door looks fine from one side but juts out too much on the other, the trims that come with the doors won't change that so what do you folks do.
  11. The reductions I have done myself have resulted in just an unclear white out scene with no detail other than a bit of shading.The whole picture is basically just shades of white and brown and everything has a subtle halo around it, so it is perhaps not the best picture to try to reduce..but..I am still positive and hopeful. I am long way off hangin it so plenty of time
  12. I never owned a Barbie..not quite sure why. I loved microscopes and scientifiic things. I was fascinated by how the microscope could take me into a tiny world. I remember dolls and dolls prams, I had a small but identical copy of a grownup coach built babies pram, they are deifinately collectible now. I also loved fabrics as a child, I was fascinated but the feel of different ones.. I got a decent sewing machine quite early on, not a toy thank goodnss as they were useless, it was a treadle. I had it for many years, it crossed the Atlantic with me.
  13. Holly, I have thought of going to a professional photographer but I won't take the picture from it's frame, It has the original mat, glass and backing and it would be risky. The picture I had off the net which was in the link is of course a modern print and lacks the aged look of mine.it is very white wereas mine is very mellow. We wil see. In this day and age almost anything can be done if one finds the right place so I am still hopeful
  14. Thank you again Kathy, I shall look forward to hearing from him
  15. The story behind the painting is this.. we moved into a large Victorian vicarage when I was about 10 or 11. My mother and sister were always the decorators so were amused when my father insisted on organising the decoration of the huge entrance hall. He had a carpenter do the walls in oak with a shelf running round the top on which he displayed a collection of minatures he had.He went to a country house estate auction and bought an old pump organ , a grandfather clock, and a very old carved chair. He also bought the picture. It's name is on the back. The Day was Sloping towards His Western Bower and is by the Aberdeen artist Farquharson. It was an old print then. That was 68 years ago.My sister and Mum laughed at Dads choices which I thought was mean so I took my Dads side and said I loved the picture which we called simply Sheep in the Snow. When I left to come to Canada in the 70's my Dad said I could take any one thing from his home as a personal memento. I chose Sheep in the Snow and it has hung over my firepalce since then. THe Fairfield house I am working on is a menory house. My miaden name was Fairfield and the house has a tower room just like the vicarage, I lived in, the tower room was my special place. I have a Bespaq organ, a working Grandfather clock, an intricate carved chair and need to get the picture down to 1/2 scale so it can take its place..It is very very important to me. So there you are,, the whole story.I think I have put this on the forum before maybe but it is up to date now.
  16. Hi I couldn't het the picture that is iver my mantle pice, the site says it is too big but I found one on the net so hoping it wil go on https://www.wikiart.org/en/joseph-farquharson/the-day-was-sloping-towards-his-western-bower-1912
  17. Holly I have the painting, it is a full size one that belonged to my father,very very special to me I need to get it down to 1/24 so it can go above the living room mantle piece
  18. You may get an idea if you look at Romney Minatures in the UK for slate..I buy all my bricks from them and have always been pleased
  19. Hi, I am Ok with Polymer, it is probebly what I will do, then the next time I do use my kiln...whenever ?? I will make a porcelain one and be able to china paint it.It is one of those things on my find or do list..like a 1.24 horses bridle and reins etc , also for my Gypsy caravan and then shrinking a very special pinting down to 1/24 size without losing the detail..gee the things we do for fun eh !! Having said that what a super feeling when we do solve the puzzle and actualy come up with the item we want.
  20. Yes it could be a bowl,I just haven't made it a priority yet, it was just a thought about the 3d thing, may have been easy.
  21. Working on the chimney, gee I am certain it was easier first time around, but it is all snaded and dry fitted together si I am making progress.
  22. I can do the painting but the cup really does have to be that shapeI think Imay just look around for bits I can utilise and make one. I could hand fashion a porcelain one and fire it but I rarely use my kiln and couldn'r run it for i tiny piece. Anyway I appreciate the answer to my question re 3d.. is is rather fantastic isn;t it..gee what a world we live in
  23. Did you ever figure out which way you were going to do it.I too have Grosvenor and basement on the go so am curious.I guess you watched the DHE video re wiring, I find it irratating as there are two people on it talking to each other rather than one to one with the camera.
  24. If I glue flooring to a template I use the plastic signs from the pound shop or dollar store , they are thin, strong ,easy ti cut with knife or scissors, good and flat and are easy to glue on.They usually sale pr sale or for rent tc on them and are about a4 size. I can do the tiniest tiling so easily then.