Thimble Hall

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Thimble Hall

1. Don't forget Santa' plate of cookies and milk and a carrot for Rudolph.
  2. I made a start I got the base papered toether,a;; sanded it seemed more difficult than I remember from the fitst one. I am going to glue that tomprrow but just that, Then I will dry fit the rest. The dust is causing a problem but my epipen is standing by and I keep a damp face flannel by my side and I keep wiping my face etc.. I am glad I have the old house to use as a model as the instructions could be a bit more thorough.Just taking my time. I got my 1st Covid shot today, they made me wait 30 minutes after due to health stuff but nothing had affected me..
  3. Muriel, just an idea that wafted though my head re Chistmas tree as there is not much out here for half scale, what about looking for full scale and cutting some of the lower parts off. We have all done it with real Christmas trees that we bought too big for a room.You would be able to get one that would go right to the roof that way of you wished. Just a thought I think it would be what I woud be doing.
  4. I decided to start a new topic for my new Fairfield as I have abandoned the original Fairfield . I worked on it during a bad time , have lost all my notes etc and not sure what is what with it so getting a new start,The older one will be finished as something else later on down the road and I will be using the Houseworks windows bought for the original in the new one .. and so we begin. First off, I have to say I am nervous,nay scared, John always helped me with building, he did the electricals and usually siding. I was the stucco girl. He also did any woodcutting for me.Now I am flying solo and not sure if I can do this .I am going right back to basics and with a big leap of faith going for it. I had made changes to the original one but have forgotten why and where but it will be there as I start again so things may come back..I have forgotten which glues I preferred, ditto with paints. Opening the box tonight, painters tape,sandpaperm notebook and pencil at the ready..Wish ne luck folks, I am struggling with a few health problems but reall want to do this. Jusr as a reminder Fairfield is my maiden name and I grew up in a vicarage with a tower so this house will be filled with memory things I will post progress here .. XX Jeannine
  5. Yes that is right, I will go and check the blog..thank you again XX Jeannine I thought about that just briefly but figured they would be different lengths, thank you so much, I was going slightly gaga here trying to work it out..bless your heart for your patiemce. The windows I have used in the past didn't have these. Give yourself a gold star for being kind and patient. Todqy my SIL is picking up a delivery from the PO for me and I know it is the new Fairfield....dry fitting tonight no, not painting windows. If you can stand another question. Looking at Fairfield houses I noticed one that seemed to have a higher base than the others,and it looked good. Do you by chance know whose it was please.
  6. I thought about that just briefly but figured they would be different lengths, thank you so much, I was going slightly gaga here trying to work it out..bless your heart for your patiemce. The windows I have used in the past didn't have these. Give yourself a gold star for being kind and patient. Todqy my SIL is picking up a delivery from the PO for me and I know it is the new Fairfield....dry fitting tonight no, not painting windows. If you can stand another question. Looking at Fairfield houses I noticed one that seemed to have a higher base than the others,and it looked good. Do you by chance know whose it was please.
  7. Drat it, I just got a shipping update and looked to see what parcel it was. It was the Minature.com one with the lighting kit in and it is the copper tape one. I thought I hd bought the round wire one but no.. oh well I will have to learn that system first, it is too expensive to not use.
  8. I can't figure out what all the little bits of trim are, it is obvious with the fancy ones but the 6 thin sticks..shims maybe
  9. Muriel.I just dug all my windows out too. I got the Houseworks Victorian 5042 which was an optional upgrade when I bought the first Fairfield. I intended to start painting them tonight but life got in the way. Each one of the bags they came in are full, of bits of trim etc ,then x 11 or 12 it is a lot of painting..
  10. Yes I use silk too, and for cotton I use one of the Swiss batistes. I prefer Nelona which is available online, it is not cheap but you need so little. It is so very fine and it comes in pastel colors; I used it a lot for making christening gowns .Re the silk, when you are searching the thrift shops look for 2 types regular fine silk then peach skin. This is a tad heavier but gives a lovely drape to curtains. I find that the basic China silk which is cream and very thin,usually used for mens shirts, makes a wonderful curtain lining.I am lucky to live close to an area that has a lot of Oriental and East Indian foks in so some of their cast offs turn up in the Thrift shops and some are incredible. The trims are very useful too I find some patterned silks there that have very tiny patterns on them. Good luck with your special shopping.
  11. I will have to get them all out but I think the kits with transformers have round wire and all the lights have little pkugs on them I bought the biggest kits.
  12. Thank you I think I am leaning to the round wire My replacement Fairfield is coming timorrow so a big dry fit coming I did not do that first time/
  13. Treading water mostly, having to go for blood again in a couple of days so taking it very easy.. sewing 1/24 bed things but itching to do more. Hold up on a delivery is holding me back which is probably a good thing.Ecen the seing is hard work, it isn't the sewing as such , it is the finding stuff, lifting boxes etc to get through a stash. Double drat!! When that is all done it is quiet work.
  14. I am watching you with great interest,I may have a Christmas Fairfield in the future as I have a partly bulit discard..poor thing it has been replaced. Thw indows are so nice and so many..have fun
  15. Holly you are much cleverer than I am. I may be a bit more relaxed with my big house but this one is filled with stuff from my memories and then that theme is carried on through out. I need a chess table in 1/24, I found onky one, the design was excellent but the workmanship was terrible. I may have to make that I think I have just designed an old fashioned silk eiderdown and am starting work ion that tonight.I haven'y yet figured out what will use instaed of down but hopefully I will be able to work the design on the top...hopefully.
  16. I agree the prices are nuts but as they say you can't take it with you
  17. I don't know that comoany,. I will check it out. Hanna mini has this set which I am debating
  18. I am looking for upholstered, preferably not with wing chairs, maybe Victorian, I don't want it laser ciut with flat legs .Most of what I have got so far is Bespaq so I think I am over the price shock now. I can re upholster it if need be. The set you show is nice but not in keeping with what I have bought already. I keep looking each day and I have Bespaq alerts on e bay, I bought Wiliam Springer chairs for the kitchen and I found a nice hand made kitchen table in Italy, all enroute. I think the 3 piece living room suite is the last big thing I am looking for apart from a tall 8 drawer dresser for 1 bedroom. Then mostly just litle tables and bits here and there. I also have my huge 112/th house on the go, gee that will b a relief as I have dozens of House of Miniature kits , collected since the 80's and they are exactty what I want for that house. Tempting to start on it but am fighting it off. I want to do the Fairfied first
  19. Re 3D printing. There is a cup and saucer I would like in 1/24th.It is for my Gypsy caravan A tea leaf reading cup with syymbols on it. Here is a picture . Can 3 d be done just from a picture I would do the painting on it but how could they make it ??? very confused abut this
  20. I picked up a squeeze bottle of glue yesterday, tuned it over squeezed a little and the glue shot out from a split in the side. Fortunatley most of it landed on my small workable, but oh boy it seemedto flow like milk when allowed to escape.
  21. Everything is so slow and I have been buying furniture and stuff for my Fairfield. Trying to be patient ....not. But things are starting to turn up now. I got a lovely Bespaq bed and night table from the UK last week. Yesterday my order from HannaMini came and I got an outstanding bedroom suite for the main bedroom. My set of pleaters came so I can now make my silk curtains, my delivery of basswood arrived to make some changes in the new house en route.I fudged it with the original I bought and can see where I should have done a better job so it is a restart. I have a dining room suite, organ, pool table and a few other things en route from Mountain miniatures. It is like Christmas opening these tiny boxes with such beautiful pieces of tiny furniture in. It is not easy t find 1/24 furniture. I am still looking for living room stuff. if anyone knows of another source ,also I have 4 fireplaces but I think there are nicer ones out there. I have seen house pictures with better ones so someone must have them. I really miss that border being closed; shipping to Canada is outrageous and evrything I have bought so far would have been free to my US address.Still it has to be like that to help fight this dreaful disease so for that reason I am happy to pay it.
  22. Thank you may I ask what made you dedide to choose one sytem over another.. copper tape versus round plastic wire. The copper tape does seem more complex to install. If I have this right re 1/24. I can simply change the plug to a 1/12 size plug and then can mix them if I need to. I seem to have a ton of lights, but not many I will use. I must have bought them during my spending spree when my common sense took a vacation when John died. It is crazy though, someone must have had a big sale as I have about a dozen or so floor standing lamps all the same,eithet that or I put 12 in a basket instead of 2. Similar situation with some hanging and table ones too. Maybe I bought them for charity houses.Oh well I guess I can donate them to something.
  23. This clip was good, it made sense. It is starting to become clearer to me now. I really appreciate the help. I never had to worry about this before. John always did it, and when the houses went to thier charities there was just a thumbroll switch and the whole house lit up. I remember laying floors etc over wires , so he obviouslly didn't use the copper option. Just one question, I suspect but don't know that 1/12 and 1/24 would need their own fittings, I have a box full of both so need to sort them out. I guess the 1/24 wee plugs will be smaller so it should be easy to seerate them.. I watched a lot about the copper tape and am finding myself definateley leaning towards the wire version. I really do appreciate the help. I am determined to do this by myself now but he did more than I thought,bless him. He was always there if I got stuck on something.