Thimble Hall

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Thimble Hall

1. This made no sense to me at all.it seemed he elecrtified a piece of wood . I watched it three times but was none the wiser afterwards
  2. I have a few questions. When you buy lightfittings, do you buy different ones for copper tape versus wire..mine have tiny plugs on them. Ditto if you buy a kit with transfomer etc is it different if copper tape/wire Whenever I look something up it seems to come back to coppertape and am wondering if I can usethe electrical stuff I already have. Is there one method that is favoured over another . The reason I want a book is so I cn study it and thoroughy understand the concept of both types before I decide what to do.
  3. Something just dawned on me. going back it time when I did more mini work my husband was was my mini electrician, after he got sick I built but didn't electrify.. Now I am on my own I want to put ligting in what I make but am totally dumb when ti comes to how. I know there are 2 ways, flat copper and wire, we always went the wire route ad I do have some stuff here, plus I bought a kit recently online. However I could do with a really good book that can eduacate me. I have looked in all the mini books I have, they all mention both ways but they only seem to do "how to's" on te copper tape. All the light I have habe tiny plugs on them Can someone suggect a book I could get pleaae.
  4. Yes that is what they look like. I lke them there but I do like the regulat shingles better on the roof..thank you for the help
  5. Thank you, I mus have bought them when collecting Fairfield stuff, would you use them on that house.I am not committed, so if there is something you would specifically suggest I would be grateful. I just located all the Victorian trims I bought from your link, some went in my Gypsy caravan but thanks to the new info I connected with the maker and have bought more. Now if I can just get that kitchen color scheme sorted out in my head I will be well on my way. My brain is still stuck with the plan I had round a white kitchen which I couldn't get and it won't move on because the pieces are dark..I wanted a pale blues, creams and white floor with tiles which was the colors of my first kitchen,but that won;t go now.I am thinking traracotta, dark blue and some white, but my brain will not cooperate..
  6. Thanks Holly They are made by Gypsy Soul if that helps.
  7. I am uncovering so much stuff I bought a couple of years ago that I had forgotten I had. Today I found several packets of 1/24 scale laser cut scalloped shingles made out of thin card. They are very neat and well made but I know nothing about them. Can they be painted, stained ?? Thay are actually wood colored as is but may need sealing or something.They are meant to be layed in sheets.
  8. What wonderful names, do they have children called Sweet Stout or maybe a baby called Milk Stout. I shall continue to think of her as you as she looks super kind and nice.
  9. Thank you again, for sending the message as I would not have thought of that. I managed to connect with him through Etsy and we are on the same page now.I really appreciate your help.
  10. This is an old post but I have a question for Deb or anyone else that may know.. Does anyone know if the company Victorian Dollhouse Woodworks is still in business, I am pretty sure the other one is gone but the website for VDWW is taking orders . Problem is I have sent three e mails re their signmaking and have had no replies. I have a huge order in my basket too and I can't go through checkout till I hear from them. Sort of in a quandry now.
  11. Holly, the problem is I need to get glasses, I never have and it is only this last yearor so that I notice the writing on the TV is blurry.I use magifiers when I sew etc but they are cheap and probably not much good.When I am cross stitching on a very small scale I work under a DR's lighted magnifier hwich is great for most things but I still find the cross tiny cross stitch a bit hard. I don;t think it is because I can;t see, I think it is because I am staring at the same spot. Anyway this has prompted me to realise I need to make an appointment and get the job done.When I get the right eyewear your suggestion may just be the extra thing I need .It get pretty hot with that light just a couple of inches from my face. Off to find an optician now.. Thank you for your great ideas as usual.. I have to say this.. whenever I talk to you I see the picture on your Avaatar,I can't make up my mind if that is you or one of your dolls. You are always telling ua about your meals so is stands to reason I would picture you in the kitchen with an apron on. Please forgive me for being cheeky..it comes from love
  12. I have had my grocries delivered for 8 years now, it is just the last year it has gone a bit pear shaped. Sowing carrotts and transplanting tomatoes today. My Fairfield that I started and then put aside has caused concerns as I had changed things then forgotten the plan. So..yesterday I bought a new one, when it arrives I can start from scratch and I think I will be fine as I will change as I go,and keep the drawings and notes this time. Then when it is finished I can turn the original into a spooky house or something,,Christmas maybe. I bought the upgraded version the first time so I have all the doors, windows etc, plus better porch railings for 2 floors and I have the siding and lots of trim so it makes sense to begin fresh ratherthan struggle I think. Meanwhile I could start painting the doors and making the curtains in between stitching the staircarpet which is eye crossing. Usually back to square one is not a good place to be but this feels like a fresh start...good..
  13. Thank you I just scraped in and saved $65 on a electric package, the biggest one they have CriKut? Amyway whatever it's name I saved a heap on my one item so again thank you. I would have not known but for your post.
  14. Started working on half scale stair carpet..Once I got the design worked out it was OK but a bit frustrating at first..moving right along , but slowly.I estimate I might just be finished about 2010 at the rate I am going..... Missed my Covid shot as I was ill in bed last week , that was frustrating. Funny though I was sick for 3 days and the Chihuahua;s stayed in bed for 3 days too, I think they have somehow tied an invisible life line to me. I have to leave the bathroom door open just a bit or they cry like banshees. I guess I should be grateful they are not Newfies.. Just getting ready to do the grocery lottery which is always good fr a laugh. The subs are sometimes hilarious. Like a 23pound turkey instead of a small chicken.The website is so slow and what comes up is frustrating.Tap in milk and everything that has the slightest connection to milk come up.Still I don't have a choice.
  15. I am in the same boat but not for so long,I just picked up on my Fairfield from about three years ago and I have forgotten the plans I had made to change it ..after bashing it about a bit.It is hard to pick up again so I am going very slow. I bought Houesworks wndows and yes you can get them in the UK. I stood on a door just last week and no one had it but someone in the Uk. If I get a bit frustrrated I stop building and move to the staircarpet I am making for a while.I am moving forward though. Good luck with yor project, there are some lovely blogshere with the Fairfield on.
  16. Do you mean it measured 1/4 inch or you bought siding for 1/4 inch scale .In reflection I don't think I used lap siding on my caravan, it suited the caravan and it does measure 1/4 inch,but it didn't lookoverlapped. I agree it would be better on the house. I thinkthe caravan may have been "bead something".I will try and look that up. I am not familiar with the names of sidings etc.I want to put wood on the lower half of the bathroom too, I would have looked for tongue and grooved wood of I was doing a real house but I don't know hat the US term is for it. Wainscot maybe, but that is usually panelled I think. Thank you so much for your help
  17. I need to buy lap siding for my Fairfield and am a bit confused. I used lap siding on my Gypsy caravan it is 1/4 inch wide and it looks well balanced..Is this what I should buy. I looked up half scale siding on one site and it gave the measuremnt as 1/8 inch.. So I am unsure what to look for ',hope someone can help..a llnk would be great. Thank you
  18. I wnt to the Drs office with a paint brush holding up my hair..does that count Sometimes I can't put my hand on the decorative stick I use after I Brush and twist the hair so I grab hwat happens to be near by, a pencil, knitting needle, chpstick, paintbrush even a piece of dowel..Actually I shouldn'y say I di grab, I should say I used to grab. I cut my waist length hair short just 2 days ago
  19. I finally managed to get the system to go my way finally and buy some half scale pieces today,Bespaq dining room suite, pool table and bits,pump organ, harp with chair etc, and a dresser and chair for my second bedroom, then through a link I found here I got a bedroom suite, not Bespaq but the reviews said as good on the net Hana Mini.So I am getting there slowly. I have a Bepaq bed enroute from the UK and a handmade kitchen table coming from Italy..gee I don't think I spent so much time looking for my own furniture. I sill can't find the Houseworkd doors though Emily, my Fairfield is only half built but only the shell .However the changes I have made are clumsy and I can see were I could have done them much better. I am thinking I may buy another kit and start again. Do you know when the Foundeers Day sale is in the shop. I bought the upgrade with all the Houseworks bits and still have them unopened so the basic one would do. At the moment I would have to pay shipping as the border is closed and can't access my US address so whatever saving I culd get would be good.
  20. Thank you all again. I am now covered in paint, glue etc so think maybe I am home
  21. I don't think I should do that as the kitchen is covered with trims etc but your table looks very good so worth knowing how,thank you
  22. Thank you for the link, but no luck. I am finding looking for almost anything half scale is almost impossible, I can see it with Bespaq but I can't even find basic building supplies. Everything is coming up as sold out or back ordered. I want a couple of basic doors but $8 for a door and $29 shipping is dreadful. I did find one online store that had some Bespaq pieces, I had several in my basket , quite a heap of moneysworth too then the site kept going down and I couldn;t get through checkout. Some won't mail to Canada. Gee I sure miss th closed border and my US address..moaning over, sorry. I think you are right about the stripping.I do have an extra cupboard so I may pluck up the courage with that. I should have started on my half finished full scale house methinks before all the Bespaq is no more. My SIL has made me a portable worktable on wheels as I can't sit at my big one and I have my Fairfield on it. The table is working wonderful but my big house is far to heavy, On the good side, me and the Fairfield have made friends again so all is well really.
  23. I think I am a bit scared to do that, but I do have some cheaper mahogony stuff I could have a go on,,thank you for the idea