Thimble Hall

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Thimble Hall

1. Today I tried to find some interest in a house and did a bit of work on my Victoria;s Farmhouse, I have removed all the thin trims as many were missing and I have bought new ones but there is one part where a strip was missing which is really baffling me Could someone who has this house please connect with me so I can explain the problem.as I am not sure how to put this part on properly. Thank you Jeannine
  2. Kelly what size bed did you buy. I have a brand new double sized long mattress cover that I bought a few months ago to put on my bed, I have a box spring , then a sprung mattress then a separate 5 inch memory foam on the top of that. My bed is electric and when I turn up the head the memory foam slips down.I had the great idea that if I enclosed the spring mattress with the memory foam and zip it all in it will hold everything together. I got it on just fine but it was just too hard to get the sheet on as it was now 20 inches deep, so didn't even try to sleep on it, I took it off and went back to my old system of two sheets , I deep one for the mattress and a shallower for the foam. So this very expensive cover is just sitting here. I was going to give it to goodwill but if you can use it I can mail it to you, As I said it is a double sized long mattress..ie double in width but the length is the same as a queen. Oh and we have no bed bugs..not a one. I will try and find the link to where I bought it . Kelly can't get the link on but I did get a picture which gives info on the biox I also bought a single one as we were doing a room for my grandson but they gave him a queen bed and I may still, have that one too and it is new, but I have a feeling I passed that on to someone so not certain about it but I will look if it the size you need.
  3. Ok no problem, you were lucky it didn't get the sidewalls, I was worrying abut that. I just checked and today my package had not arrived but any day.
  4. Thimble Hall

Time Out

Thank you Sable, I will
  5. Hi I am standing by with big strong paper to make your templates
  6. I bought the illustrated Harry Potter book the Christmas before last, it had just been released, the child I bought it for said he didn't like Harry Potter so here it sat, this last Christmas I was offered the second one so I bought it, so the two have sat. This last week I decided to read the first one , I have read the stories before but the wonderful illustrations by Jim Kay are out of this world. A couple of days ago I was reading the second one and it had a 4 page illustration of a street of tightly packed business houses. The detail is indescribably beautiful and the detail incredible. 18 houses , each 3 floor and each floor had a different business. I am certain that someone has done a Harry Potter house but if anyone is thinking about it, the ideas on this page are as I said beautiful.. The signs, the names of the shops and what they are selling is from a rare imagination. I have looked at these pages several times over the past few days and every time I do I find something new..sort of wondering if the pages are changing..maybe!! I picture a row of small three floor dollhouses and would have no hesitation in getting a few ideas from Jim Kays illustrations If anyone is interested the books are numbers 1 and 2, The Philosopher's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets ( the one with the shop street) They were not cheap but they are wonderful., called the Illustrated editions, they are big heavy hard back books, wonderful. I thought someone may enjoy the info if they didn't know already. I bought mine from Amazon. Just found this on the net, I hope it shows a bit of what I mean there are pictures like this throughout both books but the street scene I mentioned I could not find on the net,I think the one pictured is from book one
  7. Thimble Hall

Time Out

Hi Mike, we have never met as I am fairly new but sending my prayers and thoughts over the pond, I hear you have a good British wit.. I wish I had, that was something I don't think I brought form Yorkshire with me. I shall look forward to hearing some more of it. good wishes love , from another Brit XX Jeannine
  8. I have them all the time, I have a latex allergy anyway and carry an epipen for that so always have nitrile gloves in my handbag everywhere I go, I am ok doing say the House on Miniatures kits as I work slowly and don't raise much dust and I have been fine handling the MDF I have been working on for the last few months but I have had no sanding on the MDF to do. I don't wear gloves when I am working on the houses but I have do have elbow to wrist cotton cuffs that I use to prevent my arms touching the wood. Once it is sealed I am Ok though, it is the same with anything made of MDF or ply even a bookcase for the house, I can't let the unfinished areas touch my skin apart from my hands. Regular wood doesn't seem to bother me, it just seems to be manufactured woods, but it is no big deal most of the time, I have learned ways round it.
  9. I may have a go later down the road but I have three strikes against me..I am quite disabled and sanding for even a few minutes is hard, maybe with a dremel but hand sanding this amount is impossible. Some woods I have al allergy to, if I lean my wrists and forearms on un painted MDF and some plywood eg I break out in severe hives ,I am told it is the glue they are bonded with, the dust is OK in small amounts but if a lot I get an ashma attack, even outside and with a mask, I can get the dust on my hands but on my arms it makes me break out, Generaly I am ok as I am not dealing with much but the Fairfield house is probably not doable for me. I will hang onto it , and I did buy three others the week before which are probably the same. All the new replacement bits for my Victorias Farmhouse came to day and they are lovely so I will enjoy working on that ,I think I have pretty much everything for it now., just got to come up with colors after I get those odd pieces of trim off.
  10. I do all manner of crafts and I find after a few months of doing any one of then I burn out, then I switch to a different one . What goes around comes around. I find trying to finish something when I have clearly had enough usually ends with mistakes so I just move on and get back to it later . However I always have something on the go
  11. I would think pictures should be enough for FedEx, I doubt that they will expect anyone to hold on to something with a dangerous mold on for any length of time.I think it is good argument that it is dangerous and I doubt they would want it contaminating their vans etc anyway. You may be able to claim for disposing of it actually, it is all part f the mold problem.
  12. re the Fairfield kit,until I opened the box I hadn't allowed for the amount of sanding that I would have to do which is pretty nigh impossible for me but it should not be a problem for most folks.
  13. yep I think you are right I am reading the word 1st as lot.. still too much for me
  14. I think that says lot no 1909 or 1969 and the date is higher up , but I can't see it very clearly apart from the word lot..also I think the writing has been written over maybe it was there but faint.
  15. Colleen, mine should be here any day, why don't you let me make a paper template from my new parts and mail them to you,I can draw round them for you, then you wouldn't have to handle the moldy wood and there would be no risk of getting the size a bit wrong it there is a bit of swelling or warpage. It is the same house so the pieces should be identical.
  16. Colleen, just as you got your Newport house the forum posted another one that was seen on e bay and I got that one, it is in transit as we speak.. You just keep filling that folder and maybe when you get yourself sorted out with new bits we can do the houses together. I won't open mine till you get yours sorted.
  17. I would second that , Sable is right. I worked in a UK school about 8 years ago when the city flooded. The waters were 3 feet in the school. When the waters went down and we could get in we at first thought we could salvage stuff but the health department came in tested and said no, the mold that would be in there even if we couldn't see it was dangerous. Every single thing in that school from a pencil to a door, computer or even brass musical instruments was condemned due to the mold spores. It just ain't worth the risk .
  18. Mmm think I might just leave it in the box, it is not what I thought it would be and sadly I don't like it oh well what can I say.
  19. I picked up my Fairfield the upgrade kit and some oher stuff for it at the US border today before I went to see my husband so I guess I may be opening those boxes tonight, lots of sanding I understand, can I use a dremel? Oh and though I picked up nearly $300 worth of assorted stuff in the US parcel office the Canadian border man just waved me on and said have a nice day after I told him I had bought a dollhouse for myself. no duty, not taxes just have a nice day.
  20. Shannon, I spent some time looking at all the flower kits on the SDK site and actually I found quite a few I didn't like I am a bit of a gardener and felt that although all were pretty some were not as realistc as I was expecting. Some were excellent I might add. I should add here I have a reputation in my family for being very picky and having a very keen eye, they tease me about it. My mother used to say as a child I was a perfectionist and I think she was right, I will do something over and over and over till I get it exactly as I want it. I am working on dining chair seats in petit point and have made the canvas smaller to get the detail in. I was on 22sts per inch,on silk,then tonight Iused working on 30 sts per inch on silk but have just pulled oit out and redoing in on 40 sts pre inch tomorrow. I have been looking at my punches and some of them are very tiny after all and I do silk sugar wire, I used it for making sugar paste flower sprays and I have sizes 28 and 38 covered wire.I jave tons of papers, crepes, tissues, hand made onions kin plus many more so if I mayhave a play tomorrow. I will check out the books on amazon Tahnk you
  21. Thank you so much, and yes I am very confused Karin.. I don't to buy something that comes with a pot or birdbath. not yet I just need to get something basic to have a go at the flowers. It seems they call the laser sheets kits too although there are no instructions in them and this is were I am confused. I need the instructions, a really good book would be useful. I very much appreciate you all taking the time to help, I am struggling with something at home right now so the forum is distracting me and that is good . I will check out Punch Bunch too, thank you Samantha. Hope I am not too much of a pest
  22. No. can't do it..I have just spent the last hour or so looking at supplies, found Mary Kinloch, tried hanky-panky but it is overwhelming. I see loads of laser cuts flowers and leaves but am not getting the concept. do I buy I set of leaves and I set of flower parts. do they not come together?? I don't need tools, I have all the ball stylus's. mini brushes etc, I also have some cake making supplies which include some paper covered wires etc which may be useful, not sure about size . Usually I can take a look , pick up a selection of stuff but am not finding this easy. Can someone go a wee step further and help me out by helping me choose something . I need a flower with leaves . maybe three types and an ivy or something like that, anyway more than one type so I can practise, it has to have instructions and I don't think the laser cut sheets do . I am very much out of my depth here. My punches are too big, I am pretty sure of that after looking at the youtube video, so I need to either buy some or buy the laser cut sheets. Totally lost here
  23. Oh Ok thank you for that. I learn something every day
  24. I am following this closely, I have never made a paper flower. I have done porcelain clay then fired it, fondant icing for cakes,,but this is all new to me, I watched the bleeding heart on Youtube and figured this is a whole new crazy thing here. So where do I start, at the beginning right, but there must be a simpler beginning than that bleeding heart. Is there a book, or a kit you suggest just to get me going..help.