9 Neutral

About Thalia

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Thalia

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Thalia

Library lighting

Your little fake outlets are just the best!
  2. Thalia

logcabin.png

Oh thanks. There's not a lot of it out there, is there.
  3. Thalia

Stuff For Joe

1/6 scale things for Joe's someday house.
  4. Tonight I made a little log cabin block just as a test to see if it could be done that small. I did it using the non-English paper piecing method (it's hard to explain, but the design is drawn on a piece of paper, and the cloth is placed underneath it. You sew on the drawn lines. It's a way to get accurate seams on small pieces). It's an inch and a half wide (not counting the seam allowances) with 1/8 inch wide logs so 9 inches square at 1/6 scale. I did it in thin silk because I figured regular cotton cloth would end up way too bulky. I wanted to see just how stiff it would come out, and I guess it's not too bad. I was wondering about making a quilt at 1/6 scale using this method. I suppose if I don't make a whole quilt I could make this into a potholder.
  5. Thalia

SpinnerBook WEB

homg it's a Dover book!
  6. I made Joe some 1/6 scale boxes of pasta, and put up a blog post about it. Is this the right place to share that? The blog post is here.
  7. Thanks for the welcome, everyone! havanaholly: Yes, I did make Joe's sweater, out of a pair of socks (I certainly did not knit that myself!) They're the perfect size for him--use one for the body of the sweater, and the other for the two sleeves. MikeUK: Yes, it's from layers of mat board. I built it up to make the different thicknesses, e.g., the painted splats are two layers thick, the rails are four, and the posts/legs are six. I left tenons in the thinner layers (like the rails) and cut mortises out of the inner layers of the thicker pieces (like the legs) before I glued all the layers together. I also covered up the layered edges with a bit of card to smooth it out. The bit about Joe finding it antiquing is just a bit of fun as if things were seen from Joe's point of view. I had to look up the IGMA forum--my goodness, that's quite a compliment! Thank you. eta: D'oh, I meant 'cabriole' legs, not 'cabriolet'--that's a convertible car!
  8. Hi everybody-- I've done a little bit of miniature making in the last few years and joined to inspire me to make more, although I prefer playscale (1:6) to the usual scale. I have (grand, pipe-dream) plans to make my old '70s GIJoe doll a Craftsman bungalow. I'm an artist by trade and pretty artsy-craftsy so I plan to do it all myself (ha). I've made a few things here and there so far, like a chair and a senet board (an ancient Egyptian board game) but haven't really known where to start on the whole thing. I think now though I should start with just a room box, of his kitchen probably. I chose the Arts and Crafts movement style because I was new to all this and it looked fairly simple and a good style for someone learning how to make something new. It's gorgeously designed, but is for the most part nice simple square things put together at right angles, so I wouldn't be trying to carve (say) cabriolet legs or any of that. Also, miniatures just crack me up. I made four 1/6 scale rolls of toilet paper today for Joe's house, and they are the funniest things I've ever seen, I swear. That seems to me a good hobby to have. I've got a blog for Joe called The House That Joe Built (though he/I haven't even started the thing yet). Here's a pic of the Stickley cube chair I made him: