Mcannella

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mcannella

1. Thanks Holly. As newbie to the forum, wondering if you had some advice on which board I should use to chronicle my building journey. I saw the board for My First Dollhouse. Would you suggest I start a topic there for my Beacon Hill quest?
  2. Thanks for the great advice and shot of courage, Kathie. I tried the scribing technique on one room of the third floor. Sanded the area of some of the poly I had already applied, then drew the horizontal lines with a black ballpoint. A few pulls across and it made a decent imprint. I also added the vertical lines between the floorboards before I added two new coats of poly. I like the way it came out a lot. Probably need to add a few more vertical lines with a fine marker to complete the look. Thanks again for all the support and great ideas. I’m ready to begin dry-fit of the first two assemblies now. Wish me luck.
  3. Thanks Holly. I love the idea of making tiles from paint sample chips. I may try it and practice it on cardboard before I commit it to the kitchen floor. Thank you Keith. Looking forward to working on this and sharing progress with the forum and learning a lot along the way. Kathy - I did not scribe the floorboards before I stained and applied the polyurethane so it may be too late now. I saw examples of the beautiful job you and Holly (and others) have done scribing the floors in your homes but I was a bit nervous about doing so with my limited skill set and on my first project. Your posts and gallery photos have been so incredibly helpful and inspirational as I’ve been planning out my BH build. Thank you so much!
  4. Started Day 1 by R&P all the pieces for assembly steps A and B. Primed the three ceilings and stained the three floors. Next time I would do it in reverse order - stain then paint. Spent Day 2 applying coats of poly to the floors lightly sanding in between coats. Not sure yet if I will add tiles or carpet in any of rooms but if I do I will make them on card stock templates.
  5. Thanks so much Holly. I live in Queens just outside the city but my sister and niece live in Elmira which is about an hour or so from Schenevus. It’s one of the reasons I chose a Greenleaf dollhouse - home state pride. I have definitely taken all the advice I have seen to heart and “dry-fit” is my new middle name. I will be using Titebond wood glue for most of the assembly and a clear glue for windows. I want this baby to be sturdy and last for a while.
  6. Hi everyone. My name is Michael and I live in New York. I’ve been building scale model ships and aircraft for a few years but I’m brand new to dollhouse building. Last year I purchased a Greenleaf Beacon Hill kit to build for my niece who is now 5 years old. I’m getting ready to begin the project now to work on during the cold winter months. I’m hoping to have it ready for her by next Christmas. I’ve been reading through the many excellent posts on the forum and am so inspired by all your creativity and ingenuity. I’m sure I will be back on here many times searching for answers when I get stuck along the way, but the great info I have already found on here has given me a lot of confidence to tackle this project and have fun doing it. I’ll try to share my progress as I go along. I hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to chatting with you all more in the future.