Goldenrodfarm

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Goldenrodfarm

1. I will probably have to wait for the next sale, funds are a little low right now, but it would be fun to do them at the same time!
  2. Love the detail in the ceiling, it came out beautifully!
  3. The number on sandpaper is the grit size, course sand paper is 40 or 50, usually used to remove material. Medium is used for the first sanding of bare wood or varnish removal usually 60 or 80. Fine sandpaper is used for bare wood and is not used for varnish removal it is usually 100 or 120. Very fine sandpaper is also for doing bare wood before a finish it comes in 150, 180 or 220. Then we go to the microgrits, the very fine is 240, used for sanding between finishing. Extra fine is used for a fine polishing of your wood, makes it really silky to the touch, that can be either 320 or 360. Super fine is used for the final sanding of either finish or bare wood, it comes in 400, 500, or 600. There is also ultra fine, for final sanding of a thick finish, it is 800 or 1000. These are the designations most often used in US, and called the Cami grit designation. There are two other designations that are commonly used but you don't see them much in US, I am not sure about other countries. If you look at the other designations there are sometimes as many as 5-6 options of size were we only have 2 and occasionally 3. There is a 360 as you can see in the extra fine categorie, but they apparently don't have you use that one, they are probably just picking one from each group. I have sanders, palm and belt, but no micro sanders, usually with small furniture it is easier for to do it by hand, it is so easy to take off too much when dealing with an electric sander on such a small piece, as I discovered when I first got my dremel years ago! But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a Dremel Max! The key to a good finish is really good preparation of the bare wood, and then the sanding between applications of finish with the microgrits
  4. This lion was on etsy too, looks really weird, pointy nose and not much of a mane, https://www.etsy.com/listing/241727165/miniature-handmade-lion-rug-one-of-a?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_bot-15 I bought a mini tiger to make one of those mini fountains, you make a mold first then cast it. The tutorial said she bought a tiger instead of a lion but I couldn't see the difference if you are only dealing with a face. It would be fun to make a lion or bear rug for a mini camp. The turbot pan is interesting, I found a miniature one but it is pricey https://shop.smallscaleshowcase.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_65&product_id=372
  5. Thank you that clears up a lot about the kits. I kind of taken up with the stump fairy house right now, lots of hollowing out to do! But I think I would like do a smaller house and I love this one.
  6. It is not very clear to me exactly what comes in each kit, are the windows different? That is a big price difference for just different windows and doors. Are there other things different?
  7. That certainly looks like a fun project! It will be interesting to see it finished!
  8. I look st things with a whole new light since coming to this site! Those letters will make nice furniture!
  9. Goldenrodfarm

Ladder Stairs

That does look great! Perfect fit!
  10. I love the colors, perfect name for the rug!
  11. Fantastic vacuum cleaner, you did a really great job building it!
  12. Beautiful baskets! Such tiny work, I love the natural colors.
  13. I love the ceiling, would like my house to look like that!
  14. This is so cool, where did you ever get such a cute set of lab glassware?
  15. Love the sink, what a cute dish drainer, all looks so detailed it could be a regular sink!
  16. Welcome, look forward to seeing your work!
  17. The floor looks great with the grain showing! What is it made of?
  18. Wow, so much to look at, amazing detail!
  19. Looks like tatting cotton, is it hard to find now?
  20. Goldenrodfarm

logcabin.png

So cute, I willalsolook forward to seeing this done!
  21. Goldenrodfarm

logcabin2.png

Lots of seams in a log cabin to make it stiff, you are doing a beautiful job!
  22. I am a retired MT ( hospital laboratory Medical Technologist), but also have a working farm, for extra money I bred cows for neighboring farms. I was casually asked what I did that day while doing a cow and said it was hot, so I decided to work on my fairy house. There was utter silence ( probably should be udder silence in this context lol) and then I was asked where I was going to get the fairies to populate it. Since then I have been asked if the elves have moved in yet! I just said if you build it they will come! People around here think I am a little different anyway!
  23. It is actually a full sized picture, but my thoughts is that is probably easy to adapt a bought ladder to do this, just add the mini railing and use a grove in the side boards to pull it down. However I think I am going to build mine from scratch because I think mine is going to have to be narrower to accommodate the hole in the stump I am working on.
  24. That is really beautiful! I can see it in a Christmas room!