Goldenrodfarm

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Goldenrodfarm

1. they have a really cool tool box too!
  2. Goldenrodfarm

Backdrop

The archway is fantastic, the stones look so real!
  3. check this out link If it is too blurry, I have a new in the box newburg I can check
  4. Goldenrodfarm

Backdrop

perfect back drop for her, I just love what you have been doing, so creative!
  5. So much different stuff in that catalog, hard to comprehend quickly. I finally printed it out so I could better see the offerings. I had seen that video before, The jigs they have make bending wire and tubing so easy, but of course that wouldn't be an option for people just making a few. One site I looked at said to make sure you have wire in the tube before bending so it doesn't crimp. I was looking at an inexpensive wire bending tool, on amazon. You could do curves and with the pegs make your own curve, not sure if it would be useful or not. There is an amazing amount of information out there on making Chandeliers, lots of u-tube and tutorials, not necessarily exactly like I want to make but you frequently come away with a useful tip. I ordered what I thought was 2 beads for a modern type light and they came today, 10 of them, they are twisted wire, but the opening is big enough for a LED and with chain to hang would make an interesting light.
  6. To strip fine wires I just use my soldering iron, lay it on the plastic for just a second and slide, never had it not work. Practice on a spare piece of wire first. I am trying to look at the stuff on that site, quite convoluted, but I found and downloaded the catalog, now the price list! Looks like they are under new management?
  7. The whole hall is just fantastic, the door trim is very elegant! You do such beautiful work!
  8. The rose really adds a lot to the ceiling, such a beautiful room!
  9. Goldenrodfarm

007.JPG

I am lost, do you put your fabric in between the dowels?
  10. Beautiful, I like the clean lines and curves, the wood-grain makes it very distinctive.
  11. Beautiful, I like the clean lines and curves, the wood-grain makes it very distinctive.
  12. Looks like you got some really unique items, what a lucky find. Still green with envy....
  13. I am green with envy, never been to a miniature store, but I may make it someday! The pieces you picked out are beautiful. I love the butcher block table. I made cutting boards for my brothers one year using some mahogany for a dark strip, I think some is still kicking around out there mmmm........
  14. Yes you do have to use a torch to solder brass, I have done it, I weld so it is not a far reach, the only thing I don't like is SS. Your Chandeliers look like they were coming along fine, I noticed that most people didn't carry the brass tubes up as far as yours, but that added a decorative touch. I have a bunch of little rings of a lot of different sizes maybe that would have held your tubes together if glued. I found an interesting couple of pieces of jewelry findings on ebay, that might do for the center post on an more modern chandelier, they are like springs but more decorative. I think I will probably end up doing several dry runs before adding lights and gluing, I can see why they command a lot of money, so many fiddly parts. I like the ruby drops, I have been thinking only in clear and gold, but I see now that colors would not be a bad idea. What did you use for the candles? I finally settled on a straight noodle bead that was the right size. I think the first thing to do is make a stand to work from, a new adventure! Thank you for posting your pictures!
  15. Love that butcher block table! Coming good!
  16. I wonder how thick they are, like the magnets you get in the form of business cards?
  17. I ordered that size crystal for the drops, plus some slightly larger tear drops. The larger metal beads are for the center post, there is a variety so it will be interesting. what kind of glue did you use? I was considering some soldering in places, it is all going to be an experiment!
  18. I like how this is coming along, thinking outside the box of a house but instead a setting for the dolls. Can't wait to see the progress and the dolls progress!
  19. I have spent time printing out about 10 different chandeliers and closely inspecting them. After perusing ebay for quite a while I recognize most of the components, I revised my ebay order for the 10th time lol. Last night I found a bead cap that I liked but figured it was too big until I saw up close that it is frequently used at the top to hang crystals on. Think I can find the bead cap again, I spent an hour looking for it, I should have put it in my watch list but didn't, oh well. I was trying so many different searches that I can't remember which produced it. The final two things I was looking for was bugle beads in 25 mm size and 6-7mm. It is very hard to find clear ones, they are all silver lined which I don't think would work well. It is amazing that you can get 150 crystal beads for 99 cents but they want 9-15 dollars for 50 bugle beads. I can wait, stock changes all the time on ebay. I did find some tube beads the right size for candles, and noodle beads for the branches of the candles. Just need to look for some gold chain. All in all my ebay cart is $23 and that will probably make a doz Chandeliers, but I need to get led lights. I will probably get a string of them depending on how far apart the lights are. I know it will take a long time for the components to get here, but now I am impatient. Back to cutting wood for the piano! My thanks to all who helped me on this!
  20. This looks like a fun project! I may look up her books, I did go and look at Wolfies pictures and they came out really well.
  21. I feel the same way about miniatures that work, one of the reasons so many years ago I bought the kits to working grandfather clocks, I like doors to open, windows to work, stove doors that open and same with fridges. It just makes it look so real to me. I am green with envy at his tool box, some times those little tools could come in handy. I would like to try out the tiny spinning wheel!
  22. He did a remarkable job on the spinning wheel, from what the video said he does a ton of research before hand and probably knows how and why everything he makes works. Besides with microscopes every kid uses them in school and ought to know how they work.
  23. Thank you so much, I have been looking at crystals, but have definitely been looking at ones too big. I had that impression when I printed out a chandelier in about a 3" size, it needs to be a little smaller but when I was looking at it I realized that the crystals were much smaller then I figured. Do a search on Ebay on bead caps, there are a ton of different sizes and shapes, I am sure that is what they use for the candle cup and the bobeche. When I look closely at the different chandeliers for sale I can now pick out the different beads and sometimes in the central part there are bead caps where the candle ends gather. Somewhere else I read that the pins are used, I have a bunch of them, plus the tiny crystals, I bought 1000 of them on a good deal. There are beads that are long and thin like the candle arms and can be gently bent to form, and of course chain, unfortunately all the chain I have is silver. I was searching bugle beads yesterday, they come in an array of sizes. The candle replacements in Cir-kit are 5/8" tall and have a base of .12" which would be 3 mm, I would think you would want the cup slightly bigger. I think I am getting this all together with everyone's help! Now I need to change my order in ebay!