Goldenrodfarm

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Goldenrodfarm

1. I don’t have an instant pot but a Nesco that I got about 5 years ago. It does the same things, browns, pressure low and high, slow cooks and rice but no buttons for just one thing like soup.  I love cooking with it, meat is not dried out like a slow cooker.  Made chicken noodle soup in 25 minutes tonight, delicious!  I am happy to discard my old pressure cooker for this, since you can set and go and it keeps things warm.  I just cook for one and got the 6 quart model.  

Just picked up an air fryer but haven’t done a lot with it yet, I got the small one 2 quarts because just me!

2. Sounds like everyone has been busy as usual!  I have been doing lambing and maple syrup making.  I had 3 lambs born one morning during chores, One ewe is older and had a huge black ewe lamb, she has some nerve damage that occured during the delivery, so I have to help her up several times a day, she is slowly improving, the lamb is doing great.  The other ewe I have been watching because it looked like only one side of her udder was bagging out, she had twins, both white one ewe and one ram, I ran up to a neighbors and got a couple of yogurt containers of colostrum he keeps frozen all the time, and fed the twins, about 4 oz each several times that day, and yesterday.  Last night I checked the mom and it looks like she has milk, but I am reserving judgment on the amount.  The twins seem happy and fat so maybe I just checked after they devoured all the milk.  

I usually make 5-6 gallons of syrup each year, it makes good gifts!  I use lines and 5 gallon buckets, so half new and half old.  Lugging the 5 gallon buckets on snowshoes is good exercise!  The first day I got a lot but it has been slower the last 3 days because it didn't get down below freezing at night.  Last night was marginal on the freezing it was just 32, but today had a brisk wind and clouds, it is better when the sun is shining.  I visited my neighbors Tuesday and helped put wood in the big evaporator they have and watched the final boil down, it kept foaming even though she added butter several times.  She has a really bad burn on her hand, 2nd degree, from hot sap.  her husband was blowing out a clogged line and she was holding the bucket.  She is lucky she didn't get it in the face.  Their lines run right into the evaporator.  I just do mine on a small deep 2'x2' stainless steel pan.

Been back to sanding on the fairy house, takes a long time to get such hard wood sanded the way I want!

3. I spent some time in a craft shop looking at a whole aisle of scrapbooking paper and they were all way too large, so far I can't find anything I like, I may have to resort to trying to make my own.  Still waiting for the rock siding I ordered quite a while ago, picked up some paint in the colors I want, but been way to busy with diasters to do much.

• Like 1
  4. 3 hours ago, Shareb said:

If I was ever to do another, I'd probably go pastel....there is a gorgeous one here....

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/125960120811981800/visual-search/?x=7&y=7&w=235&h=273

Something about it being more muted than the 'normal' vardo makes me interested in who would live in it!

Beautiful bunch of wagons, so many different types it would be hard to know where to start!  I must admit the  Wagon intrigues me.....

• Like 1
  5. Had to go get grain and "stuff" today and went with a friend, when we got back home and I was dropping her off she said come in and see this dollhouse someone dropped off at the clothing store, if you like it you can take it home.  I went in and it is a Greenleaf kit, still in the box of Santa's Cottage, looks to be in good condition, I will have to check to see if it is all there but looks like it.  There is also one of those greenleaf furniture kits, not sure it they are quite my style but may be useful in gauging sizes for me.  I think I am gathering dollhouse kits into a stash lol

• Like 2
  6. That sounds like it came out good!  I ended up getting a spray can of black lacquer on one of those ad on offers on Amazon.  I really like the idea of a black piano even though other furniture may not be black.

7. Has anyone used Lacquer for furniture in a dollhouse, I think I would like the look but am not sure it would be just too shiny.  It is for the piano I am starting.  I am thinking about black lacquer.  I just don't like most of the other paints I have seen on a black piano, they seem to show paint brush strokes. 

8. I am starting cutting for the piano, still trying to figure out some of the measurements, the video is in Korean and there doesn't seem to be a way to translate in-bedded captions, so I have watched it about a million times trying to pick out the measurements.  I am only taking parts of this one and parts of several others and parts that I just want to do!

9. You can paint over glue, just can't stain.  Carefully sand with a ridged piece of board with sandpaper on it, so you don't over sand the part without paint or glue, the wood will sand away quicker then glue or old paint dribbles.  If you google miniature dollhouse spiral staircases you will get tons of places to help you find what you need or make it if you are that way inclined, the same places may have the trim you want.  

• Like 1
  10. I just started getting some of my orders from Ebay today, tiny bead caps, luckily some of the items are 4-5 from one seller, it got very confusing trying to order what I thought I wanted, I can relate to the buy desperately without a doubt. 

• Like 1
  11. so all these kits are only in a book you have to buy?   I looked through the catalog I printed with the price lit today while I was down selling eggs.  There are a lot of  wheels of different sizes  but I couldn't quite picture a chandelier made with them unless it was just a candle one.  I never saw so many little metal pieces in my life, I think I would need a plan before I tried to order anything.  Such a confusing place to do business, but they sure have a corner on the market!

12. 3 hours ago, NellBell said:

About the site JAR/JAF the site is quite hard to navigate. They have a lot more kits than I could find. I bought their volume 5 booklet and in there is a ton of information and st least 70 kits. Basically everything they show in the book can be bought as a kit. Or you can by desperately but when you buy separately you will have extra parts. I’m defiantly going to try one of theirs. 

I just noticed the book I may order that.  I finally printed out the catalog, much easier to use then just downloaded, on the screen the items were not the correct size.  I did have quite a laugh at the buying desperately, you made my night, sounds like what the procedure would be after looking at all that stuff!

• Like 1
  13. 3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

The site that Karin mentioned above http://jar-jaf.com/  has some in kit form. I am thinking about trying one of the kits and then go on from there.

I looked at their kits but there are only 2 and neither are anything I really want.  I have a vague I idea of what I want to make but the end result will be determined on what I end up for beads and other supplies.  I didn't order from the catalog because I had already done a bunch of orders on ebay.  maybe if I become accomplished making them I will consider ordering some of their things.

14. I would not want to be the pilot in the small plane, that would be enough to make you crash, was probably lost anyway!  

I did barn work today again, and that lovely little witch Juniper slammed me into the wire fence that keeps her calf in with her and my knee was slammed into the wire right below the kneecap.  Sitting here with ice on my knee, burr!

15. I have been looking for a table and wondered about stain consistency, my chairs are unfinished so I will probably look for an unfinished table or make one to prevent them from being too far off.  I  imagine that this is true of most furinture lines

16. I have done it with those weird little extruders they sell that look like miniature cookie presses.  Mine is not an expensive one but works fine, it is a screw top so if you have a hard time just put a pair of pliers on the top to give you more leverage.  This is about what mine looks like here   You do have to spend some time working with the clay to soften it sometimes depending on where you get it.

17. Amazon sells a lot of that stuff, I always loved the Vanilla Turkish taffy, you can still get it!  They have the bubble gum cigars in all three colors too.  We used to get those red dollars, and mary janes, and of course regular bazooka bubble gum.......